TKR Am I really going to do this? Randi's new recovery thread

Well that was an ingenious way to take a photo. Your hair looks lovely. Sorry youre not feeling your best. How come Lindsay has lost so much weight. Is it just because of the op. Some days I fell very stiff and frail and like an old woman. Never felt that before. Had a lovely Mothers Day. All six of my children here with beautiful gifts, their partners and grandchildren. Felt very proud and very lucky.
 
Actually, I felt great today. I rode the exercise bike, garden for an hour and walked for about 40 minutes. When I was out in the garden I realized I had been using my left leg to step on the shovel and it didn't hurt. Friends, I couldn't have done that before. Nor could I have walked for 40 minutes. Many good things as a result of TKR. :yay:
Pat, Lindsay lost about ten pounds. She was thin to begin with. Just from loss of appetite due to the drugs and then a little stomach bug she got. She's better today so I hope that continues.
 
You go Randi! It will get better and better.... amazing isn't it. I am on my way to attack the bramble in the yard today.... It has gotten ahead of us cause I didn't get at it last year.... :hairpulling: my balance was too far off and I could not stand that long except at work. Rob has chronic back pain... I wish we could just replace his spine like we do knees, but the tech is not quite there yet. Some day....
Give Lindsey a hug and tell her to take care... Summer is coming ... the grey weather will go away, along with the winter greys. :friends:
 
Wow Randi, congratulations on the bike, 40 minute walk, gardening for an hour and the use of the shovel with your left knee!:yay: Milestones are great!:friends:

I'm glad to hear that Lindsay is doing better and I hope she starts to gain some of that lost wait! Sometimes I think our significate others don't realize how much we worry about them when they're not feeling well!:console2:

I'm sorry I lost track of your thread, but I found you now!:thumb:

Stay well kiddo!:flwrysmile:
 
Wow, I haven't posted on my thread in quite a while.I noticed as I start doing more my knee hurts more. Now the right one is hurting and it's supposed to be OK! I think some of us are hitting that point in recovery where we feel impatient. After all, I expected to be laid up for a while and to be sore for a while and now I should be all better, right? My OS laughed at this and said, think of it as a pregnancy, after nine months it will start to feel normal. Alright, back to-ouch!-practicing patience.
 
Yup Randi, patience is a tough one, we need to dig really deep inside to find it sometimes! Hang in there kiddo! :console2:
 
It has been a while.... I trust Lindsey is all better... I seem to be fighting a bout of bronchitis.... I thought it was allergies acting up this year but the last couple of days I have had the deep viberating tone to my voice that allows me to chant like a Tibetan Monk.....
:yawn:mmmmmmoooooooppppppaaaiiiiiinnnnnggggooooooaaaaaaawwwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyy:yawn:
:giggle: It seems to be better today. Worked in the garden for a couple hours between showers. Youse guys take care!!!!:beer:
 
Hi everybody. I'm packing for a ten day mindfulness meditation retreat. Time to clear out the cobwebs! Lots of sitting and walking in such a beautiful setting, Samish Island, near Bellingham and the Canada border. We'll be even closer Joy. Last year I sat next to a guy who had a two month old hip replacement. Not bad. I sit in a chair so it's quite tolerable. Lately, I've been riding my regular bike outdoors and I notice that my knee feels a lot better. :bicycle1: I can't complain, this has been a great year. Lindsay is doing great too although she has not been posting. She said her knee is feeling quite good and frankly, I can't keep up with her.
 
Randi, have a time on your retreat! Enjoy the serenity! It's sounds like a wonderful place to reconnect!

That's great that you are able to ride your bike outdoors already!

Tell Lindsay hi, and that I wish her continued success with her new knee! :thumb:
 
Well, I haven't posted on my thread for over a month! Not as much to say after the high trauma drama of TKR. I'm not completely fixed, the knee still gets sore but it's much, much better. I am riding my bike outside now every day for at least a half hour. Lindsay goes with me and she's just about four months on her TKR but makes me look like a slacker. Riding outside is better excercise than the stationary bike. We've planned a trip to southwest France for September so I want to be in tip top shape. Poor Lindsay is going to need a hip replacement and she is thinking maybe this winter.
I think of you all often. It's funny how being on this forum brings people into your life in a very real way. I never thought I'd say that.
 
Hey Randi! I am 8.5 mos out now and I can tell I still get sore if I overdo. Nothing horrible, like it was before, but still sore. Now that I am later in my recovery, I find heat helps some. Sorry to hear Lindsay is gonna need her hip done too. Big hugs to you both!
 
Hi Randi. I haven't been on bonesmart for a while myself. I'm so glad to read your post. Were you nervous about riding outdoors again? I haven't done so yet (I go to indoor spin classes three times a week, so I'm already riding pretty hard and my knee feels great). But I am hoping that by next weekend (Memorial Day and all), that I can plan an outdoor ride. I am just afraid that I am going to have trouble unclipping and that I'll fall onto my knee, which of course, is still tender. It's pretty much mental at this point, but I could use a dose of encouragement! Especially because I fully intend to do one of the legs of my annual charity ride, the Pan Mass Challenge, in August.

Your trip to France sounds like heaven. And kudos to Lindsay for her great progress. Too bad about her hip, but between the two of you, you are experts with this thing!
 
Terry, we started out near the house on a flatish route (everything is hilly around here) and then we just add a little bit at a time. Sometimes we take the dog and then walk him on the beach. I don't have clip ins so I can't speak to that and we're still using our little folding bikes. They're easy to get in and out of but ride well and very nimble. It can be a little scary, esp. when zipping through the woods and getting caught on a root or something. You know, we have those habit reactions from before about falling, etc. but I think this knee is pretty tough and way more stable.
 
Okay, here I am with my very patient dog. Hopefully the pic is right side up.
[Bonesmart.org] Am I really going to do this?  Randi's new recovery thread
 
Sweet dog--how do you liike the folding bike? I have been intrigued by them. I have an Ordea Diva road bike which I absolutely love, I can lift it with one hand!! I started riding at about 6 weeks, was riding 20 miles at eight weeks. I used clips instead fo clip in, but this year, I am going to click in again. I have had lots of falls and the knee is still fine.
 
I love the folder! It has seven gears but shifts like the full size bike because the small wheels and the gear ratios. It's very nimble. Turns on a dime. And you can ride quite a distance although if I was going 50 miles, I'd take the full size bike. Plus Rosey's basket fits on the folding bike.
 
:goodpost:Glad things are going so well for you! You are getting along sooo well. Keep up the good work!
I am sorry Lindsey is going to have to put up with being laid up yet again but I am sure the treasured memories of your trip will tide her over. She seems to have the right 'tude to recover quickly.
Hugs to Rosie!:puppysmooze:
 
May I carry your luggage in France - or at least stowaway!? I promise to be good! What an exciting adventure to look forward to. At least Lindsay will be in great shape when she gets her hip done. It is a bummer tho. Your front yard looks lovely, and especially when set off by Rosey!
 
Lynn, I'll just tuck you in my pocket. You won't even need a passport!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom