Am I ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@zumzumpammy Hi! I am so glad you had fun in Hawaii. I figured you were still there. We are going there and on to Tahiti on a 30 day cruise out of SD in February. I am really looking forward to it.
I am having some issues right now. My right hip is the one that has been bothering me for the last 8 months. It started rather suddenly after I did a body pump class at the gym. I thought I had twisted or tweaked something, but it got worse and I had to quit working out for about 6 weeks and rested it and walked with a cane, which I had never had to do before. It got a little better, but has never gone away. I resumed my activities, but really modified them as far as high impact stuff goes and it has helped, but I am still having pain in that hip. Mostly, in the last few months, it is mild, but it is always there. I had a cortizone shot in that hip 3 days ago and now, instead of getting better, my pain seems to be intensifying again in the groin and joint. I will know more after the newest MRI my doctor has ordered. I am very hesitant now to do my left hip when the right one is giving me pain. Plus, even in all of the years past when I have had pain in my left hip, it would always come and go, whereas this right hip pain has never gone away, even though it will subside somewhat at times. My left hip never gave me constant pain like that.
Anyway. I don't know what is going to happen. I will see what my doctor says after the MRI. I would love to keep in contact with you. I may end up doing the right hip instead of the left.
I am so happy you are recovering nicely. I enjoy reading about your journey.
 
Welcome ...Dmcfad2. I am fairly new to this sight and I am so glad I found It. I can totally relate to you when you question yourself as to...Should I do this??? It is a scary thought isn't it? It's not like your repairing something...your putting something new in your body>>>Oh my. My pain started 3 years ago. Long story short I was told oh its your back..little problem in L5. Had shots, and was still having pain in the leg and groin. Soo another long story short in September I was told Oh JoAnne its your hip..osteoarthritis>>WHAT??? You probably need to replace your hip if you want to end your pain. Cried all the way home. My life has not been the same. I feel 20 years older than I am. Can't walk long, trouble sleeping, can't ride my bike...So when i look at all I can't do I think to myself surgery is the answer. I have it scheduled for March. It really hasn't sunk in yet. I keep thinking oh I can just cancel it right???? I think I'm there...I miss all that I use to do. But the jitters won't leave me if I think about it long enough. But as you probably know this pain is exhausting. We should just bite the bullet and get back to living...thinking of you new friend..:friends:
 
MajorHeidi..Hello...Is it easy for you to do Curves? Are you doing upper body work? I start PT next week, I was supposed to start last week, but cancelled....afraid of being in more pain than I am now. But I will do it. Just hope I'm able. OMG the lady at curves does squats???? WOW..that is so nice to hear...I couldn't imagine doing a squat..Now that's encouraging. I use to press 100lbs. That probably did my hip in. I just long for the day when I can hop on a treadmill...Keep up the good work girl. When did you say your surgery date was? Thanks for your post...made my night!!!:dancy:
 
@chaseyboy Hi, JoAnne. Nice to meet you! Yes, I keep thinking I can cancel it, just like you said! It is starting to sink in, though. I got my surgery instructions in the mail today and I told my husband, "I think I'm really going to do this." As I mentioned previously in this thread, my main concern is that my pain is in my right hip now and my left has been feeling pretty good. I have been using a cane for the last two days to take pressure off of my right hip because of right groin pain and it is feeling better tonight. I am still hoping that this pain in my right hip is from over-compensating for these last several years and that it will resolve after my LTHR. We can be March surgery buddies. What day is your surgery scheduled?
 
Dmcfad2....Yes March surgery buddies....If I keep it LOLLLL...Oh my goodness. This whole thing has been such a whirlwind....from being told its my back and then...oh sorry its the hip.....3 long years. I had stopped doing things thinks at the time my back would get better. All those steroids shots that did nothing. I did have one in my hip in October. Did nothing. And get this one...I work for orthopedic Doc's LOL....I sit on the other end of the phone comforting the patients saying oh do the surgery...Now its me. But really this pain is like no other. I am still very mobile but sometimes go in a room and cry. My husband laughs and says we have more ice packs in the freezer than food...LOL My doctors where I work do the Posterior approach. I want the anterior. I found a really nice doctor. I had consulted with another Doctor but he talked to me like he was going to change a tire. No thank you. I was a horrifying appointment. I think we should feel comfortable with the Dr. I have never had major surgery. Its scary. I still can't believe I will do this. I just hate the though of being helpless. That's what scares me. Or if something goes wrong. I'm sure everyone feels this way. I walk with the limp....in my house lol....I try not to in public...and guess what I drive??? A jeep wrangler...OMG getting in to that thing.....I surely hopw no one sees me in the morning....Oh my I could go on and on...But like you have said I am active and a young 56....when I look back now this hip thing started 10 years ago,,ever so slightly...little signs here and there, but nothing like this. Does your knees hurt? Mine kills. Probably cause the way i walk is altered. Lets stay in touch. I will do it if you do...hahaha..:console2:
 
@chaseyboy I forgot to say that I saw my doctor 3 days ago and he told me I could cancel if I wanted to with no problem. He knows I am waffling about this surgery. I think he would like me to wait, although he says I am definitely a candidate for the surgery. So, that makes my decision even harder. Why doesn't he say "you'd better do this now or you'll be sorry!"? That would make it a WHOLE LOT easier! LOL!
 
Dmcfad2...The Doctor I found and loved also told me I was a candidate. He did not tell me to do it. First Off I have to do PT. He says to me your young..LOL mad me laugh, haven't been called that in a while...He in no was said I should do it. Which shocked me. The jerk I saw first came in the room and said...So when can I do this. Your Dr said you were a candidate. Its an elective surgery. Look if we don't do I think probably mmm 5 years or maybe sooner I won't be doing much of anything but sitting, for me anyway. I think we have to look at it this way and from all that I have researched..you know when its time. The pain tell us that...Right?
 
@chaseyboy Yes. I am thinking it is just a matter of time before I'm sitting in my recliner all day. It's just how much time? 6 months....I should do it now. 5 years?......maybe I should wait. All I know is that the stress is making me eat. Lol! I had ice cream for lunch and a Reese's Peanut Butter cup for dinner. That's not good.
 
It is harder when they leave it up to you, I agree but I also think that is the correct approach for most cases of arthritis. It's major surgery, not to be taken lightly, it forever alters your body - I hated it being my decision in a way - but actually glad that I could decide when I was ready and committed - not before. But I was able to be fairly active most days. I am now 3.5 weeks after surgery and looking forward to having a healthy hip again! Mine was a slow progression over at least five years when I first noticed loss of range of motion. More years that I had a nagging feeling something was wrong in my leg/hip.
 
@charmed-life I have noticed before that our stories are similar. I understand that nagging feeling. I had it about my left hip before arthritis was diagnosed and now I'm getting it about my right hip. Something is wrong there, either over-compensation or worsening arthritis. The scary thing is that when they did the MRI on that hip last April, there was some kind of "shadowy-something" on the results. So, of course, my mind is going into overtime since this pain has not gone away. What if there is a tumor growing in there?? I have to keep reminding myself that worry does not add one year to our life. I need to take deep breaths and leave it in God's hands.
 
I feel for you guys. It was so hard, mysterious, maddening to learn you had something wrong but not sure when to fix it via surgery. I had nagging pains as far back as age 50; doc sent me to everyone under the sun for tests but an OS. Shrugged and said tests show nothing wrong, you're just getting older. Pains went away or ebbed or I got used to them. Finally couldn't stand it and saw an OS after 5 years had passed. He SMILED (which I found very annoying) almost with happiness when he saw the Xray and said he knew exactly what I had wrong: hip dysplasia, creating uneven wear, possibly a labral tear. He said for certain I would need both hips done, but (get this): no clue when. Could be one year, five years, ten or twenty. Said PT was thought by some (but clearly he didn't agree) to help. He seemed to think using a cane would be more beneficial than anything else, to relieve the pressure. I didn't take his advice, but did try PT. Naturally the PT thought PT was the magic bullet that could postpone surgery possibly forever. (Do PTs EVER think PT doesn't work?) It didn't hurt (except my bank account), but did not help one bit. Actually what turned out to be the last PT session did hurt. A lot. She did some acupressure-y thing (which had felt good the last time she'd done it) that really really hurt, for a couple of weeks after. I was so annoyed and never went back. Waited 5 more years; couldn't take it. Saw two OSs who both confirmed bone on bone, severe arthritis, hip is shot (their words), you are ready. Ta-da. My course of action is obviously not one to follow, as I dragged the thing out for way too long. If I had not had to worry about not having enough time to take off of work, I would have been much more proactive.

I also did a ton of reading from arthritis foundation types of places (without specifically saying the names here) and their advice (I found) for me was so unhelpful. "Do lots of walking!" "Take this supplement or that." I do understand that going under the knife is a serious thing and not to be taken lightly. But given the high success rate of hip replacement surgery, it would seem that it's the best course for many of us, instead of trying to "manage it" by ways that don't really manage it. In the end, for all of us, I think, the world gets smaller and smaller, even if you intend for it to. So surgery seems a good choice. My best of luck to you all. I KNOW how hard this time for you is. Keep reading and posting on Bonesmart and that will help a lot.
 
I'm happy enough that I managed it by keeping as active as I could and taking some supplements - cortisone shots helped for awhile . Eventually more bad days than good an restricted range if motion convinced me . Now almost 4 weeks past the surgery and I feel I did it at the right time
 
@Peaches Thanks for your input. I went to the harbor today with my husband and we went for a long walk. I really tried to pay attention to my body. I noticed sharp pain in my right hip, as usual for me lately, but also noticed my left hip was sore and aching as I walked. Plus, my right lower back was cramping up. I caught my reflection in a store window and I was all hunched over. It was terrible. I started thinking that I have really cut back on my activity in the last few months and realized that this is probably the reason my left hip has been feeling better. It was a bit of an eye-opener for me. Maybe my world has been getting smaller and I didn't even realize it.
 
Dmcfad2...Hope today was a good day for you. Today i finally took my Christmas tree down...ugh..up and down the basement steps... another UGH:gaah: My husband said geez its about time... if you want we can leave it up till next Christmas..Ha ha..isn't he a riot!!!! If I do this hip thing I know next December I'll be able to run up the steps...lol, and by the way Chocolate always makes for a good dinner:heehee: yummmmm
 
Hi there. I am scheduled for bilateral anterior THRs on 1/21 because I am tired of guessing which hip is going to hurt on which day. I have had trouble with my hips since 2005 and totally understand everyone else's comments about is it time. I have been through arthroscopies on both along with cortisone shots in both numerous times. When I had to quit my spin classes and get the shots before flying just to be able to endure, I knew it was time! Best of luck to all of you trying to decide what is best for you. As others have said it is an individual choice of when and what approach is best for you.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Freaky freak...Hello. I wish you all the luck in the world on 1/21. Your new birthday!!!! That's How I am looking at this. Born again pain free!!!:happydance: I to like the idea of the anterior..I would love to get back to the old me fast. I was unaware that both hips could be done at once. I work for orthopedic surgeons. They will only do one hip. But yet they do bilateral knee..?? I'm going to ask what the reason is. I to would do both together if I had to. Have you been in pain a long time? Oh I wish you all the best ...:kittykiss:
 
Yes he can do bilateral anterior so but not bilateral super paths. So that is what I chose. The table they use is awesome for the anterior. They clip you in boots that look like what goes In Snow skis so they can manipulate the hip. Pretty interesting! Just can hardly wait for the next 10 days to pass.
 
@chaseyboy thank you. I am truly looking forward to my new birthday. Got the refrigerator cleaned and restocked a bunch of frozen stuff put in the freezer, carpets shampooed, laundry done (will repeat that next week), so now ready to get hair cut, nails done, blood work redone and sit with my son, who is having back surgery tomorrow. Then just pack my bag, spend the weekend with friends, then hubby and I will be off to the hospital for the next adventure. Whew!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom