Am I ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Butterfly, I just read your whole thread starting from the beginning of your posts and you had quite a ride. Thanks for telling me your experience. I am still planning on surgery, I just have my doubts sometimes. I am not in the kind of pain that you were, so it makes the decision more difficult for me. I guess I worry that my life will change for the worse after surgery. I don't know why I think it will be worse. I worry about the extensive recovery period and if I will experience other problems after the surgery. Maybe these are irrational fears. Since last February, when I do have any pain, it is usually a stabbing pain in my right groin/hip, but my left is the one I have always had problems with over the years and it is the one where I have very limited mobility and range of motion. It's kind of weird. If I was feeling more pain in my left hip instead of my right, I would feel better about it. I am hoping the right hip will get better after I have my LTHR. Otherwise, I will probably be doing it eventually, too. But, anyway! You are doing great and I appreciate your support! Thanks so much for caring! Keep getting better and I will follow your progress.
 
@Josephine thank you for telling me a little more of your story. You know, I was SO ready last March when I was experiencing a lot of pain in both hips. That was the first time I also experienced pain in my right hip. It had always been my left one only. Eventually, with rest and NSAIDS and using a cane, my pain subsided and when they called me to set a date for me in September, I said I was feeling better. Then, about 2 weeks later, I did something to aggravate my hips again and I was SO ready again. By the middle of November, with rest and anti-inflamatories, I started feeling good again. And for the last 10 months, when I do feel pain, it is now usually in my right hip (mainly the groin), not my left. I told my doctor that and he said he usually operates on the most painful hip. He took X-rays and an MRI and I have arthritis and bone spurs there, too, but it's less severe (he called it mild) than my left, so he still wants to do my left hip and maybe my right will feel better once my left is corrected. He also said I will probably need to do my right hip at some point. The reason I'm telling you this is that I do still get some pain, but recently it's mainly on my right side, so that is one more reason I feel hesitation about LTHR. Otherwise, I'd be ready to go, I think. I am still reading the threads and will most likely go through with this surgery. Oh, and by the way, you are correct when you said I might have been having thoughts about being disabled AFTER my surgery. I don't know what was making me think like that, but the stories you had me read did help me!
 
@Dmcfad2 Everything you say resonates with my experience as I said previously.....and mostly everyone on here.....no one rushes into major surgery for the fun of it ( unless they're bonkers). I see you're the same age as I am ( 62 in March). The longer I left it the smaller my world got.....I'm a naturally outgoing person but going out socially, going on holiday got worse and worse as my hip starting 'sticking' and would not move. My feeling was, if I leave it longer how will it affect my muscles and my other hip, which also has significant wear and tear. Also my gait was so bad it affected my spine. After my surgery I said to the surgeon that I had put the op off in case it really didn't need doing...his response was " your hip was shot...it certainly needed to be gone". It was only then that I realised how much my mind had tried to fool me into thinking it didn't need to be done. Oh yes....also worried about being disabled after the op.....but now I realise just how 'disabled' I was before it. Enjoy your cruise...I'm very envious...and good luck with your decision making....take care..Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Well here's the thing .... since both your hips need doing, in the long run, it really doesn't matter too much which is done first, does it?
 
@Hoppy Nanny Chrissie, I have read your pre-op story with interest. Thanks for your input into my ever-changing mind!! @Josephine you are so right! I must say I already love everybody on this forum!! I'm taking it day by day right now, trying to pay good attention to how I'm feeling and hoping to make the right decision based on that. I have some time to go before surgery.
 
@Dmcfad2 Hello, Debbie. Been reading your posts & decided to share my story since we have something in common. What we DON'T share is the fact that I am in pain all the time if I'm on my feet; I'm pretty comfortable lying on one side or the other on my bed & can sit for quite awhile depending on where. (Typical armless, straight-back restaurant chairs get old very quickly!). Entering/exiting my car, turning over in bed, lifting or turning that leg in various positions all kill me.

Now, what we share is the fact that I, too, have a problem with the so-called "other" leg. I had my right knee replaced last February; about 2 months post-op my left HIP began to give me problems which had never been the case before. Turns out my right leg had been lengthened by means of the knee prosthesis (I guess it kind of replaced all that lost cartilage) AND my left leg was getting considerably shorter due to loss of cartilage there. So... I'm very uneven, needed heel lifts which may or may not have helped, am limping, in pain, etc.

So what happens? Sometime in the spring/summer I started to have what feels like a sciatic-like ache down my RIGHT leg (the one with the new knee). Knee is good, but the pain in what I now call this "other" leg is killing me when I walk or stand, often traveling down my butt & thigh. This is the leg that plagues me when I walk, but this pain is kind of different than the very real hip pain described earlier.

So the question that is haunting me is... am I doing the correct hip!!?? I have written about it in the forum & went back to my OS to see what he had to say. Consensus is that i have likely been compensating, changing my gait, etc. I know I very deliberately was using what has turned out to be the longer leg, to do much of my standing on before it started to hurt. The thinking is I'm also out of alignment and with some time after surgery, my pelvis will figure out where its rightful place is & go there. But, bottom line is that I'm so fearful that the left will turn out to be what everyone says it will be (great!), & I'll still have all that same pain on my right side, which is debilitating & exhausting.

I've gone on way, way too long... it's anxiety speaking. Your story triggered this exposÄ—.. I apologize and wish you good luck & no more pain. I was never athletic or anywhere close to physically fit (more like physically FAT)... I just want to be able to get a semblance of normality back. They say when they start to go, hips move fast. Don't wait until you're hobbling around like me. Take care.

Ellen
 
@shrinkette Oh, Ellen, I am sorry to hear this. I do know exactly how you feel. I know it gives you terrible anxiety and I totally understand. I am praying that doing my left hip is the correct thing to do. I know my body is out of whack. Over the years, I have adjusted my gait to compensate for the pain in my left hip. It has caused me to limp a little and I know my pelvis is probably twisted. My left leg is a little shorter than my right now and I have noticed I seem to be getting slightly knock-kneed in the last year, and my range of motion is horrible! So, it is understandable that my right hip is now hurting. I have relied heavily on it. So, it makes sense to me that it might resolve itself after my left hip is done and I learn to walk correctly again. I think it will take a long time. I have walked this way for so many years. It is interesting how our bodies try to protect themselves. I have a feeling I will go through lots of aches and pains in my body as I adjust to my new, good hip after surgery. I will be hoping for a good outcome for you. Thanks for talking to me about this. Good luck with your upcoming surgery.
 
@Dmcfad2 Hi Debbie and @shrinkette Ellen - I am pleased that this has come up - I am also pre-op with a totally shot left hip but my right hip is now feeling the strain of supporting me on crutches full time. In the morning I wake and the stiffness in both hips is about the same but when I manage to get going the left is worse than the right but the right is still letting me know it's not right (if you get me!) The last x-rays I had about 3-4 months ago indicated there was a deal of wear and tear on the right but not as bad as the left and I am wondering if the constant strain on the right hip is causing it to deteriorate more quickly....
@slapstep I had a cortisone injection about 3 weeks ago and apart from a drastic improvement in my psoriasis it has done little for the pain.
 
@slapstep Good morning. Yes, cortizone is something I have done before. It has given me some relief on my right hip, but not really on my left. However, I am going on a month long cruise and so I am doing it in the hopes that It will keep me mobile while I am on vacation, as my surgery isn't until March 21. Again, I'm not having a lot of pain right now, so I have even considered canceling the appt. I did wake this morning with some pain in my right leg, however, (in a new spot, too. Now, it seems to be traveling to the inside upper thigh.) so, maybe I will just do the right hip and hope the left continues to feel good, I am not a big fan of cortizone. @fulafoto I guess this is more common than I thought. I see you are from Australia. I love your country. I have been there twice and Queensland is my favorite. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! G'day, mate. :)
 
My "good " hip (no problems on X-ray) was starting to have some pain which probably convinced me more than anything to not cancel surgery even though I still had good days too and if I kept active, it helped the hips. Those sometimes very bad days - and a very bad X-ray convinced me to schedule.

But since surgery (3 weeks) - NO pain in the good hip :)
 
I as so worried about my 'so called' better hip playing up after my THR...it certainly was aching like hell before my op as it was taking a lot of strain from my ungainly gait. After the THR it aches a bit but not as much as before..I think due to the fact that I stayed with 2 crutches for 4 weeks which took the pressure off both hips. I'm still on one crutch 12 weeks post op and my 'good hip' is behaving quite well. As the operated hip gets stronger I'm hoping it will take the pressure off the other hip ( you never know your luck). Cortisone injections never worked for me at all even though I had three in three months...think it depends if they can get to the correct source of the pain. I have a limp due to LLD in operated leg but as the weeks are going on it is much less pronounced...I have a podiatrist appointment which I am loathe to keep as Im sure time will even it out. Hope Debbie & Ellen that you both find some relief and some resolution. Take care...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I guess this is more common than I thought. I see you are from Australia. I love your country. I have been there twice and Queensland is my favorite. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! G'day, mate.
Thanks Debbie - as we say up here in God's country - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" :heehee::heehee:
 
Well, I thought I would update in this thread since it is the one I originally started. I saw my os yesterday for a cortizone shot in my right hip. I have been concerned because my left hip is the one that has always given me problems, but in the last 8 months, my pain has been concentrated in my right hip. My previous X-ray and MRI of the right hip show only mild arthritis and a little irregularity in the shape of the femur head, plus some labral fraying. My os is concerned that I am still having significant pain in my right hip, so has ordered another MRI. In the meantime, my LTHR is still scheduled for late March. My left hip has what he calls moderate to end stage arthritis and bone spurs. He also told me that my arthritis is a little different, in that most people lose joint space at the top of the socket, but mine is at the bottom of the socket. I don't know if I am explaining that correctly, but when I saw my X-ray, I could see space between the top of the ball and the socket, but near the groin area there was no space at all, just bone on bone. I told him my left hip has been feeling great for the last few months. So, that is where I stand right now. I have my MRI next week. At this point, I don't know what is going to happen.
 
Debbie, Just wanted to fill you in on a 3rd opinion appointment I had yesterday. I am the one who is not in pain all of the time either. Not sure everyone will agree with what I will say but this is my experience and I wanted to share it with you..
I saw 2 Dr's at one of the best hospital's in the country. The first one said I need resurfacing and sent me to the 2nd Dr (Specializes in Hips & Knees). Saw 2nd Dr and he said (Just from an Xray) that I needed a new hip, plain and simple. He said I had 1 spur and I have stiffness in the other hip. Well I was already mentally preparing myself for the surgery (As I have posted here on Bonesmart).
The 3rd opinion Dr. (At a different Hosp)yesterday told me much more info. He said I lost an inch in my height, I have 3 spurs on the other hip (The one that doesn't bother me as much!) AND I have OA in my spine! The first 2 Drs never mentioned this to me. This all from an Xray alone. No MRI because he said it is so obvious from the Xray. He also said I still have some cartiledge left.
He said surgery is of course up to me. But he doesn't recommend surgery for me right now. While I do have a lot of pain, it is NOT keeping me from quality of life. He said I need to keep what God gave me for as long as I can. He also said that a new hip is Definitely in my future perhaps a 6 months to a year from now.
I also took the survey available here on bonesmart and I am not ready for surgery according to that as well.
I asked if it would do harm in waiting and he said it would Not. He gave me a stronger medicine for pain, the pain patch and a prescription for water therapy. He said to keep up with the Eliptical machine and try to loose a bit of weight (Which I already knew).

I also have history of heart disease so I have to take a nuclear stress test before any major surgery. I just wanted to share this with you as I feel a bit better because deep down I knew I am not ready for surgery just yet. I can tie my shoes, walk for distances, work long hours. Yes, I have pain but I will follow what this new doctor has said and see. He uses the Anterior approach which interested me but I do not like the hospital he is affiliated with. Not sure which doctor I will actually use now for my surgery, should I let the lack of info from the 1st 2 doctors sway my decision knowing they are the best at what they do?
I am glad I went for this 3rd opinion, I hope this helps you in some way. I just wanted to share with you as you are struggling as I am with the decision to do the surgery.

Best Regards,
Sara
 
@Sfina48, Sara, thanks so much for your story. My os has also said he would like me to keep my own body part as long as possible and has been saying that all along. I have always felt he wants me to wait by his comments, but leaves the decision up to me.

I can still walk pretty long distances without pain (I did a 5k walk on Thanksgiving and was a little sore afterwards in the hip joint, but so was my husband...lol). I can put on and tie my shoes, (although I bend at the waist to do it, instead of lifting my knee to my chest most times, but I can do that, too, with a little difficulty), no trouble getting dressed, I can walk up and down stairs and my day to day activities are not really affected yet.

I have lost range of motion. I can't spread my legs like I used to, so no more motorcycles, horses, surfboards, but I don't do that any more, anyway. I took @Josephine's test, too, and it showed me not yet ready. Which has made my decision that much harder.

I read many stories on here and so many were in a lot of pain when they finally had their surgery, walking with canes or walkers. What scares me about the stories is how quickly they went from where I am to where they are. But, I hate to have surgery now just on the chance I might get that bad overnight at some point. What if that doesn't happen for a few more years?

I am waiting to see what the right hip MRI shows. If there has been a significant change, then I need to make another decision. Maybe change the surgery to the right hip or just hang on longer. I have gotten along for years with most days of mild to no pain, then have sudden flare-ups that will resolve if I rest and back off on my activities for a while. Well, I've gone on long enough. I hope you will keep me posted on your progress. It is nice to talk to someone who is having more of my own experience. Thanks!
 
It doesn't always progress quickly - I had the same response from my OS even though he told me he rarely sees X-rays as bad as mine because usually people have a hip replacement before it looks this bad. But I was still riding a bike every day, usually walking with only minimal pain (taking Advil at least once most days though). He told me it was up to me depending on how much pain I wanted to live with. Cortisone shots helped a little but not for a long time. When it finally seemed time - more bad than good days - I was scheduled right away and now on the mend. It is not a light decision when you're not totally incapacitated... You will probably know when it's time and the BoneSmart test seems like a reasonable one to help you judge.
 
@Dmcfad2 Hi and you are so very welcome! You and I have a very similar situation right now, I too do not have a great range of motion, haven't in years. I tried the cortisone shot once many years ago and found it didnt do much for me.
I share the same worries as you, I will definitely need a hip replacement at some point down the road, just at the moment I just cannot commit to a serious surgery when I feel I can still manage the pain.
I feel if the pain suddenly got worse, I see that as a good thing since at that point you would have no choice but to go through with the surgery. And I agree with you what if the pain didnt get worse for years?
It is such a hard decision when in a position like ours..The support here at Bonesmart is terrific and whatever you decide, you have support here...Just know you are not alone. I will check in and keep in touch, keep me posted on what you decide as well.
You are very welcome and Thank you too! :) Sara
 
Hi Debbie! I'm responding now to this post but I can give you more info about my surgery if you still have questions, since we are both in San Diego. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my right hip 8 years ago. I was then and still am a fitness/ Zumba/ yoga instructor. When my OS told me I would eventually need a new hip, I told him I was not ready for that, what else could I do? He suggested PT & then cortisone. He also said that when I was tired of the hip pain affecting everything I did, I would tell him when I was ready. Since I was always active, I also used chiropractic care, massage, stretching, heat, cold, foam rolling, anything to keep my hip from tightening up. It all worked for years, I took NSAIDs, which also helped. I still taught up until a few days before my surgery, although I would be hobbling when I got home and got out of my car. My biggest fear was the surgery, anesthesia, loss of control. Earlier this year, I had to have surgery, it was unexpected, necessary, and happened quickly. I came through everything fine, thanks to excellent surgeons. With 3 surgeries, I had 6 weeks of little or no activity after each, and thought my hip would benefit from resting. However, it got worse through this year, and it was getting near the end of the calendar year. I had already booked a trip to Hawaii and realized I would be severely limited as far as activities if my hip was still bad. I went back to my OS in October, and had my surgery scheduled for Nov 13. I told my OS I had to be on a plane the day after Christmas, and he said it would be no problem. Fast forward-I left for Hawaii the day after my 6 week mark, and I got home from Hawaii on Monday, and had an amazing trip! Seriously cannot believe how active I was, and I know it would have been awful without the surgery. You can read my original thread, I had all the doubts you have, I had good days, it wasn't until the week before surgery, when I had to stop my NSAIDs , that the pain was unbearable. For me, it was absolutely the time to do it, and I wish I had done it a couple years ago. Looking back, so much of the last few years revolved around what I could or could not do because of my hip. I don't know why I was in such denial, but coming to this forum helped me so much, and to realize that arthritis doesn't go away or get "fixed" on it's own. Feel free to message me,or send me your # and I can call or even meet you if you want to talk in person. My surgery was at the Surgery Medical Center in Kearny Mesa, but my OS also does surgery at Coronado Sharp. I was overnight one night, then home.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom