Guest viewing is limited

TKR Am I on the right track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Queenscliff today and waved to you, but you didn't wave back. Read your message, you were either shopping or it was when you had you leg elevated. LOL. Sorry you day turned ****, hate those days. We have purchased a new 2 year old home, we move on the 16 September, I'm so frustrated I can clean out any cupboards, hate sitting looking at them, wishing I had the strength to get into them, so don't want to take all the rubbish with us. I will keep taking the next couple of weeks resting, then will try sitting on a chair with a rubbish bag and throw. Don't apologise for waffling, I'm the best at that... Lol. I'm preparing for 12 mths of pain, trying to average out the time, by what I read others have experience. You had a very busy day, you will be in pain I'm sure. Hugs...... Hope you sleep ok tonight, had my pills must go and try now it 11.47...... Night night
 
Diminuata, I am so refusing to see to our hens! I do not want to climb in the enclosure or tumble head first into the henhouse, so some days the 3 of them appear to have laid 6 eggs, and it's not my fault!
Sue.
 
Have a good night Leonie. :)
 
One more thing- when I was in rehab, the lovely nurses there said that icing should only be do e for 20 minutes at a time, or it becomes counterproductive - 20 on, 20 off. I move the ice bag around .any thoughts anyone?

This is a common thing we hear from therapists and other medical professionals. It might work for injuries, but for joint replacements, more is better as far as icing goes. As long as you have a cloth or kitchen towel between the ice source and your skin, you won't damage your skin. The cold acts as a numbing effect in addition to reducing swelling....both of which help with your pain. Please don't overlook icing as part of your recovery tool chest!!
 
A little disappointed, every dayI hope to wake up with less of that very tight band around my leg. It doesn't feel swollen, but I have elevated any way. This very tight band will go away wont it ? Would it help to walk more, is it possible to walk it out?
Don't want to depress you but it was around 10 months before that tight band feeling went completely! You have to understand that this is pain you are feeling and needs to be medicated. Did you read the articles I left for you in post #10 of this thread? You do know how to use links, don't you? I mention this because all the information we have been referring to is in those articles and it is crucial that you read them. I'll give you the one on pain again - click on the blue line and it will take you to the article The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
I walk small walks during the day, but doesn't seem to relieve it at all. Or Im not doing enough is the question. I normally only walk until its feeling stiffer.
So you are only three weeks out and need to go easy with the activity as recommended in this article Activity progression for TKRs But please go back and read all the articles.

One more thing- when I was in rehab, the lovely nurses there said that icing should only be do e for 20 minutes at a time, or it becomes counterproductive
This is a very common misconception. In fact the opposite is true. If it starts to be a problem, you will feel it become uncomfortable and should take a break from icing. Just use your common sense.
 
Leonie, Glad you had another good night's sleep and a beautiful day. :SUNsmile: I know how you feel about the band, mine is always with me.... Booo! :sad:
Jamie, It's good to know that this is normal and most importantly, IT WILL GO AWAY... eventually. :yes!:


Diminuata, I almost cried reading your post because I could feel our pain as you were basically stranded on your feet. :cry: Seems the least little activity is tiring and brings pain. I think what Leonie said about walking just until you feel it coming on is good. Unfortunately, sometimes you're right in the middle of something, or somewhere and you can't just freeze like a statue. Hey, that can be a new knee placement game, Freeze When You feel the Knees. :loll:I'm kinda glad Jamie said you can't walk it out because I was beginning to wonder.:umm: I stiffens when I lay down, it loosens when I exercise/move, but stiffens when I move too much. :shrug: I haven't found the balance yet and I'm so concerned that if I don't keep moving it, be it walking, exercise or mild stretches, that it will stiffen up all together and I WILL be that statue in the Knee Replacement game. :headbang:

I've given up posting on my thread because it goes unanswered most of the time and that's depressing as well.:thud: If you listen closely you can hear crickets. I think maybe if I change the title I might get more feedback, but I just consider this a conversation. So Leonie if you wanna kick me off use your good leg to do it. :rotfl:


Hope everyone is enjoying their day. I'm resting after going out for Karaoke last night. :whistle: I did drive a couple of miles so ouch, and apparently even standing w/a mic and swinging your hips for a few minutes can be taxing on the knees. Who knew.... I didn't even sing my big dance numbers. :egypdance: Well at least I got outta the house.

Take care ladies
 
Just saw your latest post Leonie, Congrats on the new home and good luck with moving/packing. I feel your pain on that as well.:groan: I set my sight's on 1 yr as well. I keep saying, "One year from now." Hopefully that comes true for both of us! Sooner than later.:friends:
 
Dabber! We worked out the egg collecting situation. I extended my walking cane to the max, strapped a Chinese wire scoop thingy to it, and managed to collect 5 eggs without breaking! Below is Orfeo, a Buff Orpinton we thought was a girl! What breed do you have? If we talk chickens maybe we should move to social?

Josephine, thanks for setting me straight on icing. No wonder I was so sore yesterday. I broke all the rules - didnt want to disappoint my husband, not enough rest and skipped meds- DUH!

Today was a much better day, I'm so pleased. Can't believe I was feeling so bad yesterday! I was driven to the city this afternoon ( an hour) then up and down stairs to a performance of Momix where I sat for 1 3/4 hours, then more stairs and an hour in the car again. This was exciting for me because I have very long legs and theatre seats have been agony for a very long time. I used to have to get up and leave. I could actually concentrate in the show and didn't want to scream with pain once. And weird, when I came home, I felt hardly any pain at all! Only just iced since I got home at 6 and its now midnight. No idea what caused this but I hope it continues. Probably wont !

Leonie, can't you get a friend to come around with some large garbage bags and just do a couple of cupboards a day? Otherwise you'll just exhaust yourself. And maybe get some packers and worry about it at the other end? We moved 10 years ago and I'm never doing it again. Outta here feet first . I thought I'd tossed the worst before leaving when I had 2x good knees- I was so wrong. Though if its a new house you don't want to mess it up too soon.

'Night all! Want to sleep while the goings good!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Am I on the right track?
    image.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 150
7 WEEKS AND 3 DAYS.......Whos counting....LOL. I am sure I am the most impatient person on earth, why didn't I ever learn to be patient much earlier in my life, Its been difficult learning it now. It might make me a better person when my TKR heals, I know now I will be much more sympathetic to others having TKR.
I find it really difficult to sit around for so long, I even think that may be I am one of those lazy people, who dont do their exercises then wonder why they are not healing.
The reason I have said this, is because I feel I am icing and elevating all the time. Yes I go to phisio Monday, Hydro on Wednesday, and Phisio Friday. Then the other days at home Im resting getting ready for my next round of exercises. I do get up and walk around home, but not as much as I would like to, it hurts, its stiff, and I limp a bit. Its only very rare that I do get up and walk that it feels OK.
I have heaps of time for thinking....LOL I dont think, thinking is so good for me sometimes.
I was thinking, I am a very heavy girl, I am 5ft 10inches tall, but I do weigh 120kgs, does any one out their know much, about weight bearing this amount of weight on the new knee, does it take longer and more resting for a heavier person to recover?
I have just returned from my phisio he is happy with my bend of 115, 120 if he pushes it, which he says their is no restriction for a 120.
I still keep thinking all the time about my meds, I hate that I am on my morning and evenings of 10mg of OxyContin, and my evening sleep tablet of 2X Temazepam 10mgs.
And during the day if needed I have Panadol osteo. If I am just sitting, and elevating in my recliner I have no pain, its only while I walk, it gets all grumpy with me.
I so sound like a stuck record, and I have to have things repeated to me, I just dont seem to be able to learn. LOL Please be patient with me......I have my Learner Plates on at the moment.
More of my thinking is coming, I use to drink heaps of water, but since home from hospital, It hardly happens, when I get up I have a glass, just not enough, I have been drinking a lot more coffee, people pop around, and I keep having coffee, Im sure this is not good for me either.
My new positive thinking is helping heaps, Its just so easy for those other thoughts to keep on appearing in my head.
A ripper windy day today, down under. So I guess its nice reclining back, icing the knee, with the rug pulled up over my body.
Regards to all from Leonie.
 
Knee pain.....I've merged your latest thread again into your original recovery thread. Please remember to post your updates here and not in a new thread. I'm happy to change the title for you if you prefer something else, but we do need to have your recovery story all in one place.

My friend.....you are really letting yourself over think things as far as your recovery goes. You only had your surgery a mere THREE WEEKS ago!!! Please go back and read the articles on recovery from our BoneSmart Library Jo posted for you earlier in this thread. You are not going slow. You are, in fact, doing very well with your current ROM. But your body is still healing and will be for some time to come.

At this point in recovery you are supposed to be doing mostly resting, icing, elevating and taking your pain meds on a schedule. It makes no difference at all what you weigh. Your recovery is just that - your recovery. And you're normal. Maybe even a bit better than normal since you have such a great ROM this soon.

So please try to relax. You have weeks and months ahead of you to experience slow but continued improvements. I will suggest that if you're limping when walking, you need to be using some type of aid....a cane or walker. Limping does NOT help you at all. I used my walker around the house for 6 weeks because it allowed me to walk normally with good long strides. This is what you want more than you want to be walking (limping) but free of an aid.

Maybe you're allowing yourself to feel guilty about taking this time for yourself. That is a pretty common problem for folks who are used to being in control and taking care of others' needs all the time. If that's the case, you must put yourself first right now. It's YOUR time for YOU. Take it. Enjoy it.
 
Hi Jamie, thanks for your reply and the merge, I will try and keep it right, appreciate your help.....
Jamie its 7 weeks and 3 days....not 3 weeks, LOL I dont want to go back to 3 weeks....
Pleased to hear weight doesn't make a difference, makes me feel much better. TY
 
I am sure I am the most impatient person on earth, why didn't I ever learn to be patient much earlier in my life, Its been difficult learning it now.

Sorry! I"M the most impatient person. According to my husband anyway.
I keep reminding myself that I have had two bones cut and glued, several layers of tissue cut and sewn plus the skin stapled, four hours of anaesthesia, not to mention the awful hospital food. So, like everyone else is saying, be nice to yourself. When I first wrote my 'Should I be still feeling like this after 11 weeks thread" I was the same as you. All the help and advice made me stop seeing the physio but doing a few of the exercises at home and stopping when it hurt ( wasn't usually very long before it hurt) and going to hydro under supervision once a week, and now at 13 weeks, I am going a second day. Yes, I iced and rested and pill popped like I was told and I felt so much better. I did that for a few weeks and it put me in a much better head space. So think about resting more please! Not that Im an expert, but it did help me. I keep forgetting the meds and I know I always feel worse - I'm on a zillion other medications as well. Our house has two iPhones with different alarms honking, ringing and barking all day to remind one or the other to take medications.

I am a very heavy girl, I am 5ft 10inches tall, but I do weigh 120kgs, does any one out their know much, about weight bearing this amount of weight on the new knee, does it take longer and more resting for a heavier person to recover?

LOL- we have more in common than a new knee. I am 6ft 1in tall, and happy to say that three weeks in hospital dropped me down to under 100kg. I feel better, move better. I am doing my damnedest to stay there and lose more. I don't know if it takes longer to heal, but I know the extra weight ( and I weighed more than you four years ago) contributed to the collapse of my knees. I went on the CSIRO diet ( they have several books) which is easy to follow and a healthy diet. And managed to keep pretty much most of it off. You can eat out if you choose wisely. I did that four years ago and my Gp reminded me the other day. Not Your Daughters jeans size 16!

It's that Gin and Tonic in the evening that I find hard to give up....

Stay positive, I can tell you are getting there!

Diminuata
 
Lol, we have heaps in common, I love a G and T also. I lost 26 kgs before operation, I am doing weight watchers on line, but since my operation haven't opened the site, I have weighed, haven't put any more weight on, so happy with that. I keep on meaning to say to you I don't have any chickens but do love them, They have such little knees...LOL. I would not like to be on the Ferry today from Queenscliff to Sorento, it would be a really rough crossing today.
And I am feeling better about our shift into our new home, Noel has just booked the removilist for the 17 September, and has them packing and unpacking, I feel a little strange about that, I'm going to a girl friends house while they do it, so I don't have to watch them, with embarrassment when they pack my big undies and bras..LOL.
Just had to do an edit, it's dabbler with the chickens....I get quite confused sometimes on who I'm talking to, it's the drugs I'm sure. Still waving to you across the water.
 
I even think that may be I am one of those lazy people, who dont do their exercises then wonder why they are not healing.
Exercises do not cause, improve or enhance healing. The only thing that effects healing is time.
I feel I am icing and elevating all the time.
As you should be doing.
I am 5ft 10inches tall, but I do weigh 120kgs, does any one out their know much, about weight bearing this amount of weight on the new knee, does it take longer and more resting for a heavier person to recover?
Your BMI is 36. Mine is 43. Heavy or light, recovery takes what it takes, regardless of weight, height or anything else.
 
Phisio was yesterday, I did my 45minutes I didnt feel I was under any pressure or soreness. I was not home long and everything got so stiff and painful,I did elevate and ice for the rest of the day, I had the worse nights sleep for ages. Today still resting and icing, so disappointed when I thought it was all going so well.
I have decided I am going to give up my 2 sessions a week of phisio, cancel my appointments. I will go to my Hydro appointment, as I find the warm deep water relaxing.
A week should give me enough time to see if It makes any differences, It must as I know now after phisio Im bad.
Maybe I need 2 weeks....? Here goes..
 
[Bonesmart.org] Am I on the right track?
Knee pain, I think that you've made a wise decision to stop PT for a while and see how things go. Note the pic---it says that P T is about movement---says nothing about pushing hard, doing lots of reps, etc. And you can certainly do gentle stretches and bends yourself. Living your life and taking care of things in your house and in the yard and all the other things you do is also a form of physical therapy. We tend to forget that.

I never went to outpatient PT after the in home folks finished up with me. My ROM is around 125 flexion and 0 extension; and I am able to do pretty much what I want to do with no pain whatsoever.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Jo, I think bottomshollo almost answered my next question- TKRs are healed when theres no more ( or very little) pain? You say rest, elevate and ice. Bottomshollo says gentle movement. My concern is that if I don't do enough I won't get the flexibility back and tissues will have healed in a static way. ( you can tell I haven't done much anatomy). I'm feeling a lot better since following your advice but leaving the exercise till I don't hurt really worries me. I am now walking every day for about 20 minutes and in between elevating and icing, theres housework of course. Pain will wake me about 3 in the morning and I am very stiff. I haven't been doing my Physio exercises because they hurt. When walking, I tend to lurch now and then if I'm not concentrating. I apologise for rambling , bit hard to explain what I mean.
Diminuata
 
Diminuata, it takes at least 12 months and sometimes longer for some to completely recover from TKR. But during all that time, range of motion will continue to improve if you work slowly and easily--you can certainly do exercises---but only to the point of discomfort. You should never allow an exercise to hurt. I am almost 2 years post op and could improve my bend if I was willing to put a bit of work into it everyday by doing squats----but it's not that important to me to have more flexion.

If you have a tendency to lurch when walking, you should talk with PT about helping you with proper gait and that would be an excellent exercise because it would just entail walking properly.

You are only 3 months post op which means you're only 1/4 of the way through the recovery process. You'll be amazed at how much things will improve over the next 3 months. The secret of a successful recovery is TIME & PATIENCE. You have to have (or find) the PATIENCE to give your knee the TIME it needs to heal at its own pace. This sounds so simple, yet it is the most difficult thing for most of us to embrace and accept. Recovery is what it is and is going to take as long as it's going to take. And what it takes is TIME & PATIENCE.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Maybe alternate a bit and take a day off from walking but do some of your physio exercises that day. I agree with bottomshollow that it might be helpful to have a session or two with the PT on your gait. That's a tough one for many of us b/c we compensated for bad knees for so long we had to be retrained a bit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom