Guest viewing is limited

TKR Am I on the right track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been battling for 5 weeks with my recovery, but finding this site has been the best medicine I could possibly have.

The information and help has been brilliant, can't believe how wrong I was doing every thing. Following the suggestions here I feel there is light at the end of the tunnel, in the last week I can feel the improvement. I now ice and elevate the leg, wow what improvements, I'm now back on pain killers and taking regular.

But best of all today my wonderful husband hired a recliner, that also elevates my legs when icing, and I'm out of the bedroom where I was becoming so depressed.

I wish I could walk more steady, does any one else have this problem when they walk? I'm trying to walk evenly and it clicks out of control, does this make any sense? Any way one good thing is I'm in Australia and the weather is really cold, so being snug inside is good. Talk again soon Leonie xo
 
I am also 6 weeks today. My rom is about 85 but improving weekly. I am very stiff but no real pain except when pts try to bend it beyond. Icing more but not really elevating it. I think I am doing too much and need to back off. Seeing a massage therapist twice a week which is helpful. It's been a rough road so far emotionally but sites like this have really helped. Glad you are doing better.
 
I wished I could walk more steady, does any one else have this problem when they walk, I'm trying to walk evenly Nd it clicks out of control, does this make any sense?
What may be happening - it happened to me - is that as bone spurs were removed during surgery, the resistance they were giving to movement is gone. The knee then wibble-wobbles about seemingly out of control. I expect you'll soon get used to it (it's how real knees work, after all).
 
Good morning knee pain,
Thank you for posting on my thread :) I am on my 8th week of surgery & the difference between
Wk. 6 & 8 is amazing :egypdance: first, this is not a battle...you need to work with your knee, not against it :ok:
I iced & elevated alot ( I mean every time I was laying down)
Are you doing out patient therapy yet ? If you are...make sure they are gentle...do your home exercises 2times
A day & ice & elevate right after.
Take care,
Diana...june sunbeams :SUNsmile: forever..
 
I'm so glad the forum has been helpful to you. Just in case you haven't seen them before (though I think you might have!) here are the recovery articles!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Just got back from 6 week post op. they measured rom at 80 but at pt I was closer to 90 . They want to manipulate but I said no. He said I've got to 12 weeks to change my mind. I have a lot of scar tissue so I may achieve a little more rom but not worth the ordeal. Had it done on shoulders and not fun. Would rather take baby steps and keep stretching and massaging at my knees pace. Am I wrong?
 
I had my 6 week post op yesterday. My Dr said the X-ray looked good and I should do away with the cane. Unfortunately, I too still walk walk w/a limp so I'm gonna stick with the cane still I'm comfortable. My knee is really stiff and painful today, it feels like a set back to me so I'm a little teary eyed. :cry: I'm icing and elevating as I type.

My post is probably not much help but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I know it will get better, it's the waiting that's sometimes depressing. Hang in there. :happydance: :bicycle2:

Sending you a little warm weather and sunshine from Atlanta, GA :flwrysmile:

Bionic Woman2... We can rebuilt her :bicycle1:
 
sbovard, maybe a good idea to start your own thread? Swelling control, swelling control, swelling control! Which includes knee up above heart. If you have 12 weeks to sort out MUA, then fantastic. Take your time. Intervention will be there if and when you need it.

Leonie, this is a big roller coaster ride. Glad you joined us!
 
sbovard I agree with Mary - please start your own recovery thread so we can discuss this with you. This is Knee pain's recovery thread.
 
Yes this site is wonderful and do remember you are in charge. Go slow and in time the rom will come. Please don't rush it doesn't pay off. I am so glad you came. If anything comes up and you want to ask a question, please ask. Take care. Tashia
 
Balance does take time, and it's early for you. Also, the tendons and ligaments are still"loose" from being messed with in surgery. They will tighten up in the coming months and the joint will feel much more stable and secure.
 
Going into my 7th week, lots have improved since my last post, now taking my drugs regularly, and keeping knee pain and recovery a little more under control, thanks to the forum.
Bed time is always a bit of a drama, I am not sure if any one else has this problem, or is their any help out their. I always try to stay up as late as I can, so the dreaded nights are not so long. I go to bed about 11pm, feeling quite pain free off I go, have my shower and meds then Im ready to settle, but not long after being in bed the knee gets all irritable, tingles. Its not like bad pain, but does my head in, I place the knee out side the sheets in the cold and I get a little more comfy. Im not sure if the linen or doona is irritating it, its a very hard thing to explain. I guess its a little like electric shock, but not that bad...It keeps me from sleeping. If I get up and get a cold pack on it, it allows me to go to sleep, But its not swollen. Any one else have this strange feeling... Look forward to any answers...Regards Leonie.
 
Knee pain, I had the same problem. As you sleep the knee gets stiff and therefor it hurts just enough to wake you up and brake a whole night sleep. Are you taking your medication every 4 hours? When the medicane wears off the knee will hurt again. It will get better. Be patience in time you will get the whole night sleep. Tashia
 
Thanks Tashia, yes taking pain meds regular now. It feels more like nerves, I think. When I cream the knee it feels quite numb, but not a pleasant sensation when I massage it. Do the sheets on the bed annoy your knee? Every night I say, tonights the night I will get a straight sleep...LOL Not happening yet, will stay positive. Thanks for reply. XO
 
I did the same, I used to go to bed really late thinking, "please let me sleep till morning"! Two hours later I'd be awake and that's when I came on here to the sleepless in bonesmart land link! It was soul destroying! I tried not to doze during the day but it didn't help so I gave in a slept when I could. I couldn't keep surviving on 3/4 hours sleep! It sorted itself out eventually but it was a few weeks yet ! Hang in there it'll be all right in the end
 
Good morning leonie,
I may be able to help you with this :) I asked my p.t this exact question. The nerves in your knee are re-
Connecting...a few times a day...take material of different thickness (sheets, towels, thin clothes) &
Gentle move them over your knee. Your knee will get use to the feeling :yes!:
Now, about sleeping :sleep: .....I am 8 weeks out from surgery, I found when I took Tylenol p.m at night
I slept well....I also loosely wrapped my knee with an ace bandage. I think the pain meds kept me awake.
I sleep with my left knee on a pillow, if it's bent I wake up but, go right back to sleep.
You are at a great time in recovery, it get's better every day :SUNsmile:
Take care,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks DIana, very helpful just had a nice hot shower, about to wrap up leg, here's hoping for the best night that be possible. Regards Leonie...... XO
 
Hi Knee pain,

I am 6 1/2 weeks on this side and have problems sleeping. I think it is just a side effect of this surgery. I think there is some information in the library on this. I am just dealing with it by taking Tramadol before bed. It keeps me asleep up to 6 hours, but I need more sleep. My OS told me that it gets better but to take pain meds to help.

Take care:flwrysmile:
 
7 weeks Friday, just when I thought everything was going well, pain begins again. When I first found Bone Smart, I was an emotional mess, heaps of pain, no proper pain management, and was over doing the exercise, and no elevation or icing. After lots of reading, and heaps of help from everyone, I got myself and my head back in the correct space...GOt my pain in control, learnt not to over do things, learnt to be patient.
At the moment I'm not quite sure what's going on, all day felt like I want to cry, start too fill up with tears, then control my self. The last two days I have had a lot more pain and stiffness, and two really bad nights sleep. I'm not sure if I have over done phisio or not, I am doing Monday at phisio, Wednesday at HYdro pool, and Friday Phisio again. The last two days, I have been elevating and icing most of the day, but pain still stressing me. I can remember a week ago thinking wow, I have improved so much, but after the last couple of days, I'm feeling back at week three. I do very little in the house, resting most of the days, get up and walk around for very short periods. My longest periods up are going to phisio, and getting to the pool. I'm getting over people asking how I am going, then the looks I get for saying not a lot of improvement, I see them looking at me, as If I'm taking a long time to recover, like I'm stalling... My recovery.
I just want to cry, :(
I just don't know what else I can do, evening is coming, I so hate the nights. Not much to look forward to. Thanks for listening.... I'm just feeling so frustrated and hopeless. Regards Leonie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom