TKR Am I on the right track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Leonie, so sorry you are in pain. What are you taking for pain these days? It does sound like you are doing a lot. Have you tried stopping all the physio to see if that's what's causing all this pain? Does the icing and elevating ease things? Sorry so many questions but a bit more information might help us to help you! Hang in there!
 
Hi Leonie, our Aussie friend!

I'm sorry you're feeling down and that you are frustrated. :console2: You're right in the middle of the time when that happens to most of us, so go ahead - yell, cry, moan all you want. We'll understand, because we've been there!

It's so very hard to believe that you will recover, when friends and family expect you to have bounced back by the time you reach 6 weeks. That's because most of them simply don't understand what a very major operation a knee replacement is. They've only seen people recover from other operations, many of which do only take about 6 weeks to recover from - but this is different. Add to that the fact that most of us probably had the same expectations as our friends, so we probably beat ourselves up about our slow progress.

This recovery is more like a marathon than a sprint. We're in it for the long haul, so we can't rush it. Our recovery is strange, too, in that we do seem to take one step forward and one step back so many times. But we do make progress in the end.

It's very hard to be patient, but patience really is your best friend. I wish that there was a Patience Fairy, who could wave her magic wand and give us all the patience we need. She'd be a very busy fairy!

Now, about your pain - I may be wrong, but I think your knee is giving you a message here, to ease back on your activity. Maybe 2 days of physio and one day of pool are just one day too much at the moment? If you find the pool therapy really helpful, perhaps you could cut back the physio to one day a week? You can still do gentle bending and stretching exercises at home. Keep up the resting, icing and elevating.

Also, you are still taking pain medication regularly, aren't you?

Lack of sleep - ah yes! That's a frequent problem too, another of the "joys" of recovery from a TKR. Try not to worry about it. Take sleep whenever and wherever it comes - be it in short bursts at night, or in naps during the daytime. I used to look upon the long nights as just time for reading, watching overnight TV, just pampering myself. I moved to another bedroom so I didn't disturb my husband. As you progress, good night-time sleep will return.

Hugs!

Caryl
 
Yes may be I should not go to phisio on Friday, that will give to Monday to rest knee. I have been taking my meds, although when I was having good days, I did forget for to take regularly. It was just that the meds were spread out for a longer period. I have to make appointment with my normal GP tomorrow need more meds, even my Dr looks at me like really you need more, It's only codein I'm on and Panadol,osteo. Is this enough? Regards Leonie XOXo
 
Leonie, you are bang in the worst period; it feels like it's been going on forever, that it will never end. Recovery seems to have stalled.

This would demoralise almost anyone.

Recovery often seems to plateau; but it hasn't. It seems to have slowed because the worst is over. Just keep at it gently, no training or hard exercise that puts force through the knee, just stretching. You will get there, you in fact ARE getting there.

You can take close notice of all those that are critical of your recovery -- assuming they are doctors or physios, of course. Those who are not can be told to go away. Australian style:shocked:
 
Sorry to hear this, but it will get better. It might be that you still need to go on the old schedule of pain medicane. Please don't feel bad about it, sometimes I do the same. It will pass. As for the mood, this is such a rolly coaster it too will pass. Just take a day at a time. Make sure you also rest, you are still healing. Take care and do keep us informed. Tashia
 
Thanks Roy and Tashia, your both so right, it's always great to get your support, when I read what you say it seems to make me think straight again. People mean well, but I'm feeling like a stuck record at the moment. My husband Noel has just tried a tens machine on me, it feels a little like the pain I already have.. LOL. It felt good when I turned it off. I guess that's a bonus... Lol.

With all the resting we do during this recovery, really lets your mind wonder and think of to many negative thoughts.

I must keep saying to myself, nothing wrong with my knee, it will heal.

Evening is coming I sit here watching the clock, waiting for it to be late enough to go to bed, I figure the later I go to bed, the more I might sleep, I WISHED. Enjoy your day XO. Tomorrow I am going to wake up,and be happy and positive, and ready to deal with any thing, and my pain will just be healing pain, will try and put the pain in the back of my mind. I CAN DO THIS.
 
Dear leonie,
You my dear are not a " grumpy old lady" the same has happened to me. I am at 8 & half weeks last week I felt
Great :happydance: this week :groan: it's call the roller coaster & we are on quite a ride.
Every one is giving you great advice....drop your Friday p.t...just for a while....gentle stretching, icing, elevating
Toes above nose :egypdance:
Remember....every day you are healing....there's just a lot of things healing at different times. Hence,
The different aches & pains.....plan something fun for your self :dancy:
If you want to :boohoo: let it all out.....I always felt better after a good cry.
Please keep posting....we care :console2:
Diana. June sunbeams :SUNsmile: riding the roller coaster of recovery
 
Thanks DIana, I have been a member since July, I have done heaps of reading on this site, I'm not very talented when it comes to all this talking to each other, I have so wanted to join in, but keep having a senior moment, on what and how to navigate my way around, I think I have almost learnt, such a slow learner... LOL. One good thing has come out of my knee op, I have had to learn to use my iPad. Never too old to teach an old dog new tricks.. Lol. I'm feeling so much better than I do a few hrs ago, just having chats with people who really know how I am feeling. A BIG THANKS :thankyou: OMG just worked out how to use the little captions. I think I might go and do a hurdle,and hop into a nice hot bath, with some nice soap suds. Night night.
 
Leonie,
I forgot, to help with sleeping at night. I take 2 Tylenol pm, works great. Also, a warm cup of tea
Never hurts :ok:
Have a happy :SUNsmile: day
Diana :friends:
 
Yes a cuppa, would be great, I was only told to have 1 Tylenol, and it doesn't do much a all. Seeing my local Dr tomorrow will ask if I can up the dose. It's pouring rain at the moment and very cold, so it is nice to be able to cuddle up under the Donna. XO
 
:cry:Right there with you Knee Pain. It must be a 7 week thing, although I've had crying spells throughout. Today is really tough for me because it's the first day of school and I'm not returning to work to see my kiddos. :boohoo: kids are one of the main things in life that can lift my spirits when I'm low.... that and cooking. Not doing much of that either. Thank god I still have my sense of humor to bring up the rear.


I'm sorry that people really don't get "Knee Replacement." The name in itself sounds horrifying and intense. I had this misconceived notion that I'd be well enough to have my second knee done right about now. :loll:Now, I'm really concerned if I'll be healed enough to do it on 9/18/2013. I guess if folks can do Bilateral, I can pull this off. :umm:

I've been emotionally beating myself up about my recovery time, but physically taking it easy because of the pain. it's a crazy roller coaster ride, sometimes I throw my hands up in the air and yell Weeeee! :yay: and sometimes I hold on for dear life. :bow: Gosh it's hard to know if you're doing enough vs too much. I don't trust myself at times, or all of my p/t's advice anymore. Trying to lean heavily on the Bonesmart advice but I still end up feeling like a slacker, even though I'm exhausted at the slightest little chore. If I go to the grocery store I'm done for the day, and don't let me try and pull a double and cook. :thud: You start to feel like, I should be past this by now. I think going to bed late and getting up late plays a big part in my fatigue. I went to bed late last night, but had to get up early to get my son off to school. It's his last year... High School Senior! :martini: :egypdance: Hopefully, getting an early start on the day will aid my mood, I did my exercises already and I seem to have a little more flexibility today so Yay!

I hope the day gets a little brighter for you. :flwrysmile: just wanted to reaffirm that you are not alone. :console2:
 
I have some good news :), and some bad news:sad:. I'm 16 weeks in. I finally saw my OS last week. I've been seeing his PA up until now. I told him about the pain and stiffness I've been having above the knees when I stand up from a sitting position. The good news is the pain will go away eventually, as we all know. The bad news is that it that it could be as long as "one year or more" - his words, not mine - before its gone. So what, you ask? Well, there will be occasional pain and stiffness throughout the healing process :headbang: . Some mild, and some not so mild. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news. :sorry:
 
Hi Leonie, I'm an Aussie too and am struggling around at 13 weeks. I don't think this cold weather helps, I'm sure my knee feels heavier and sort of frozen if I've been sitting too long.
When I say struggle, I am finding that I start to hit grumpy mode around 4 pm. The pain comes and goes, but always seems to be somewhere between an ache and a pain. My husband has a back problem and I've been finding it hard to do everything. I am mastering the art of the takeaway. And doing what I read here- if I won't die if it doesn't get done today, don't do it! Amazing what I've been able to put off. I can drive, and did 45 minutes yesterday and that was hard work. Don't worry about what people think- I was beating myself up a couple of weeks ago, thinking there was something wrong with me that I wasn't healing fast, but I've learned on this forum that I need to be patient. Im going to see my GP to ask about the warmth that cones and goes. i just want to have a bit of reassurance, Are you able to drive? It's great to get out and feel" normal' - just don't go too far! It gets me in the shins. So out with the ice and up with the feet! I was back in my beloved veggie garden for the first time, weeding( from a chair! ) and it was great to be in the sun, even if cold. Keep reading! This is a great forum. Huge help.
 
Leonie - another thought. I have an iPad with FaceTime and you might be able to talk to friends and kids. It's a fantastic tool but only operates on WiFi. I think it's free - the messages. I talked to my husband while I was in rehab for three weeks and it saved him rushing in. Sort of like Skype. If I can learn to use it, you can!
Diminuata
 
Oh thank you so much Dimiuata for your lovely reply, I so appreciated it. I have learnt so much since my knee operation, the hardest was if the dishes are not done it doesn't matter, My bed only gets made when the sheets are changed, this is something I have never done before, I am a neat freak, but I have learnt to leave it alone, I now have a girl come in every 2 weeks for 3 hrs to clean up, Love it .......makes me feel great when she goes. And fresh sheets, feels so heavenly. My husband is a professional person, works hard, but still manages to cook for us, Im really impressed he doing a brilliant job, poor guy has had to put up with a lot of rubbish from me,but he has a pretty good understanding of my pain, and does try to put in good info to me.
I not driving yet, too much pain, and having to many pain killers at the moment, Im sure I could drive, just not thinking quick enough, better be safe than sorry.
Im not getting out much, only to my phisio and Hydro pool appointments, but normally busting to return home to ice and elevate. Im normally a very social person, most of my friends work so not much company, but I know its going to change some time in the future, I just hate those days when I feel very emotional and feel its never coming to an end.
I do use face time, and I love it. My youngest son lives in Japan with his wife and my 2 year old granddaughter Momo, she loves to call me, she does make me smile, she is as cute as, she is half Japanese, and such a gentle little soul, with a beautiful heart and great smile.
I live in Geelong, were do you live? Yes it is so cold, but I would sooner this TKR in winter than a shocking hot summer.
Went to the Drs today, he has changed my medications, hopefully it might change my pain levels, and I can get going more. My bend is at 115 about, so Im ok with this.
Hope your feeling ok tonight, and look forward to our journey together. Regards Leonie.
 
:thankyou: Thanks for replys from past posts. Today was a better day, dont you just love better days. Today I was looking forward to going to the Dr to go through my pain management medications. Arrived at the surgery, to find out my normal Dr was called out, and I would be seeing another Dr, thats ok I thought, as all my history was at the clinic. well it went down hill very quickly, I just got sat down to give the new Dr some of my history,and all the clinics computers went down, we waited for a while, but wasn't going to be fixed quickly.
So here is a Dr knowing nothing about me, and I only have 1 endone tablet left. After lots of talking and lots of convincing him I was not a drug attic, we got down to business not that he was very happy. I normally have 4 Endones a day, and 6 panadol a day for pain.
He thought I would be better with oxycontinlist=1][/list]
:thankyou: Thaget more pain and was not coping take half an endone during the day, if needed. Also at night up my Temazepam from 10mg to 20 mg. I left not sure any more, weather I have made the right move or not. I dont know this Dr, and I dont know a lot about medications, I dont know if Im on lower doses or higher doses of pain management or not. When I was in the rooms, all I could think of was OMG I have no pain tablets left. I also left forgetting to ask him, do I still keep on taking the Panadol or not. Im feeling a little confused.
 
You coulld have been telling my story. I'm at 7 weeks and going through the exact same thing. Weeks 5-6 showed great improvement, but week 7 has been pretty tough. I wonder if we improve just enough to think we're over the hump and then over do it. After a week or so of that it catches up with us and our leg lets us know all about it.
I can't give you any advice other than to hang in there. It's what I'm trying to do. But it's great knowing you're not alone. Yes, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this, too. But I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. We can hang in together.

Best,
Bill
 
GabBill Bionic woman2 Knee pain We have all been there and done that!!!! After 7 weeks you are so tired of everything and feel you should be progressing faster than you are. You are tired from lack of sleep, your energy drain is hard to deal with, and your emotions are all over the place. You are tired of being so dependent on everyone and you just know that everyone thinks you should be doing better than you are. Sound familiar?? Hang in there--the worse is behind you and there are brighter days coming soon. I promise!!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:
 
Hope this new medication works for you. It is just so confusing and not seeing your regular doctor sure doesn't help!!
 
I had the best sleep for 7 weeks, 6 hrs wow, a little stiff today, not complaining... Lol sleep ahhhhhh. The new med may have helped, I'm feeling very light headed, will see how it goes, knee feels at peace. I really feel I could fall asleep again, I'm sure it's the new meds.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom