Guest viewing is limited

THR Aloha From The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope your visit goes well and you are cleared of as many restrictions as possible! I've been grabbing as much sleep as possible as well. This was a week when I had to work in a nap in the middle of a work day. Healing is such a mysterious thing.
 
Yoo Hoo Deb!

How did you go with your OS check? I am so pleased that you eased back on the activity and gave those muscles a badly need rest.

You mentioned about limping - I went back to work at 7 weeks on a phased return and took my walker with me, because I was concerned that I had a 'duck waddle' happening, I also had my stick with me, but up until 12 weeks, I made the decision to use the walker whilst walking around the long corridors at work, I actually found that it actually encouraged me to perfect my gait... I found that with the stick I was limping, because I was still not fully balanced... I know we all love to hate the walkers, but I treated it as my friend and it was going to protect me up until the three month mark.

So sorry about your adhesions, can you massage with coconut oil?
 
Well, OS told me "no more cane!" That's easy for him to say! He also said, no more PT, as I should be doing exercises on my own. Told me to get in the pool and start "really" swimming, not just doing therapy or walking. Time to strengthen. I agree in many ways, but frankly, it really hurts to walk cane-free exclusively. I'm afraid of crumpling! I sort of agree about the PT - I do feel like the massage the PT is doing is worthwhile, but the exercises I can certainly do on my own. I have to speak to the PT folks and find out about the insurance situation. My OS's 'scrip said 4-6 weeks, but the physical therapy center said my insurance ok'd unlimited visits as long as medically necessary. And I think my PT would like more time with me. No question I'm doing much better and a lot of my problems are due to weak muscles. I'm just not sure where the line is between doing too much and not enough. HELP!
 
Lgastreich, are you on your bicycle yet? I'm thinking about hopping on for a short ride...it's been a really long time since I've ridden, but I think I remember how :-)
 
Hi Deb, so pleased your restrictions are lifted :)

Maybe your OS is concerned that using the cane is affecting your gait, did he mention that? But you mentioned that you are concerned that you may crumble, I can understand that, it is a wee bit scarey to stop using assisted devices and you are the best judge of when you feel confident to go it alone.. I know those first few days unaided for me, felt strange... But you will get there...

Pool work is very, very good as you know. I like it, but didn't get a lot of pool time where I live.

Good luck with your exercises and chatting with your PT about it.
 
Deb

My surgeon told me to lose the cane at around six weeks, even though I was still limping a bit. He felt using it would only delay my return to a normal gait and increasing strength in my hip. So happens, in my case, he was right. But if you still have significant pain when walking without the cane, then wait a week and try again. Only you know how your body feels. As to the PT, can you keep going for the massage and begin doing your exercises at home? (tho I find my discipline is weaker when on my own).....

Have fun on your bike. For me, I am going to stick to the recumbent bike in the gym for awhile longer. My balance isn't the greatest.

:bicycle1:
Suki
 
Suki; must admit, I am nervous about getting on my bike.. I have an electric bike, which is a bit heavier.. One day...
 
Hi Deb. when I walked into the clinic at 5 months for a check up the nurse raised her eyebrows when she seen I was still using a crutch. I told her that although I may look okay whilst using it I certainly did not when I didn't. Nobody but you knows how you feel when walking unaided and not everybody has textbook recoveries. There is a huge difference to 'doing a little walk' in the doctors office to doing a lenthy walk on hard, perhaps uneven ground. You may look great in the office but not after walking outside for a while.

If you do not feel steady without a stick then use the stick until you feel you do. Perhaps you could carry a folding stick with you so you can use that if you feel you need it.

I hope you manage to get on that bike. I must admit I was a bit scared my first time post op . It's the confidence more than anything which is bizarre as most of us have been riding a bike since we were kneehigh to a grasshopper :)

Take care

Ann
 
I agree Suki, my discipline is much weaker on my own. I now do mine at a certain time every evening whilst watching telly. I find it easier when I can watch something interesting and do my exercises at the same time. Less boring :)
 
It sounds like your surgeon is very pleased with your progress! That's great!

About the cane, I've just started to walk without mine, but I keep it nearby in case I start feeling weak. For me it's more weakness than pain that keeps my cane with me. I find that I do best if I start out with a cane for a few strides after I first get up (and am stiff or feeling extra weak) ... and then I lift the cane up and carry it for a while. Then, I use it for a few strides, pick it up for a few ... repeat for as long as I'm comfortable. I also go as slow as I need to go in order to maintain good form and maintain my gait without limping. I do think I've increased my muscle strength and balance by doing some walking without the cane. Do what feels best to you, along with maybe work in a few little challenges along the way too.

Dorothy
 
Hi, debkakes! I've been on my bike a few times and each time feels more comfortable than the last. I understand being nervous, despite the assurances that these new appliances aren't going anywhere, I still feel vulnerable at times. We've (finally) had steady rain for the past 24 hours and just walking on wet sidewalks for the first time since the surgery makes me pause and mind my steps so much more carefully.

My first ride was five miles. It was a goal I picked out of thin air and a shorter ride would have been just fine. My hip was fatigued when I was done, but I was so happy to have gotten back on my bike. I used a steady bike with platform pedals, so even though you say your bike is heavy, it's probably perfect. My road bike is very responsive--and since I feel my reflexes are still a little slow, I'm not ready to try it yet. (By the way, we're kind of bike-obsessed in this house. I have two and my husband keeps a fleet in our basement.) The first ride was very flat. The next ride I wasn't as worried, more comfortable and I took on a few hills. With an electric bike, that should be something you can do without worry once you feel ready to try. I did ten miles earlier this week, mostly flat and with much less fatigue. In fact, after that ride, I was energized. It was a pretty evening, Kent and I had dinner at a cafe in the park--I felt as if I was even closer to having control of my life back.

I still need to practically lay the bike on the ground to mount and dismount. I threw my leg over the seat post the other day and paid for it immediately. I've started daydreaming about getting on my road bike, but it will be awhile and I'll definitely put platform pedals on it for awhile. No toe clips yet!

As a side note, a week or so ago I managed a brilliant move in the office. I paused on the stairs to talk with someone, and ended up standing backward. When we finished, I stepped backward (that was the brilliant part), missed a step and landed hard on my operated leg. My first thought was "Wow, I didn't break!" I've tried to remember that as I do new things--at this point the surgeon, the PT and even the trainer at my gym have reminded me there is nothing I can do to dislocate this hip. One of these days, as others have said, we won't even be thinking about them--or at least not all the time. I still have that "be careful, you have a new hip" tape running in the back of my consciousness and will be glad for the day when I can finally turn it off.

I used my cane again the other day--I was with family who were doing an obstacle course/trail run. Parking and spectator areas had been set up in a mowed field and I used the cane quite a bit. I will echo Poppet regarding Nordic Walking. Using the pair of NW poles on my morning walks helped me walk straighter--use muscles on both sides as equally as possible--and I think helped me get rid of the cane.

You'll know when you are ready mentally and physically to get back on your bike. Like all the other steps, take it slow at first and build up. Let me know how it goes. :-) Peace, Linda
 
I can tell you that the day WILL come when you won't think about your hip. Had my right hip replaced 22 months ago--I really only think of it and talk about it here on the forum. I've had a few spills and missteps and never thought of it until well after the incident. Time takes care of a lot of things.
 
Hello Debcakes,

First, I LOVE your picture! Beautiful and sassy!

Wow, you are getting along fine. I will just echo the advice of all the lovely ladies above: listen to your body, try without the cane, but if you feel tired, use it. Encourage yourself to keep up on the exercises. I find even though they seem like "baby" exercise now, they really do help.

I am timid about getting on my bike, too. So it was nice to have Linda cheering us on above!

Here are good wishes for your continued success!

Hugs,
Elle
 
I wanted to ride my bike after my first hip replacement--it was about the 7 week post op point, I think. So I got it out. Carefully got on. Rode to the end of the driveway, stopped and chickened out!!! ha ha! I was too afraid of falling. I probably could have ridden it later when I was further along, but the other hip was bothering me and I didn't feel up to it. I can't do it now because of the hip flexor tear still heaing, but I think it would be fun to get out there and feel the breeze as I whiz by on my bike! I hope you can do it soon.

Dorothy
 
Thanks, everyone, very very much! The folding cane is a GREAT idea, and I'm considering getting a set of NW poles -- I think that would help. I am trying to spend most of the day without using the cane, but this weekend, I think I am having a little setback from a REALLY strenuous PT session on Friday. So taking it easy, which fortunately I'm able to do. My husband and I are painting a bedroom, and I'm just doing some simple things (like cleaning and priming a french door). Doing some baking and a little housecleaning (yay, the cleaners come tomorrow!), laundry and such. It's a beautiful day here on the Central Coast! Hope you all have a lovely day off tomorrow!
 
Started back to Deep Water Cardio classes this week! A great bunch of women, and a really fun leader. I feel stronger already. Planning on staying a little extra on Thursday and swimming a few laps.
 
Hi Deb, make sure you get measured properly for the NW poles otherwise it can cause problems :)
 
Thanks, Poppet, will do! I may just experiment with my hiking poles, even though I know it's not the same.
 
Yes, hiking poles are very much heavier, so do take care :) - good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom