TKR Almost two years with tkr

Once I hit 90 at around 6 weeks my OS basically just told me to just keep using the knee. He saw what the PT report said, but in the appointment he just had me show him how I could bend--just eyeballed it. I found as I recovered I just did things that required me to bend the knee and the bend seemed to improve naturally.

Don’t get hung up on the numbers, even if your medical team does. We all progress at our own rate. ROM can improve for quite a while, mine did in my second, and even my third, year!

This is what one of our members, TortiTabby, experienced:

(Just so you know, ADL means Activities of Daily Living.)

“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."
It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance:

Yesterday outside on my deck I tripped on plant tray. My right knee bent badly...more than it bends in physiotherapy! It hurt, but not horribly. I iced it then, and iced it at night and again this morning. It feels swollen so now I fear my bend will be affected again. At least when it bent when I tripped I know it WILL bend. I feel I make progress, then fall back. Every time I am down I read on this site. Thank you so much for all of the support. Today I am at 10 weeks. Two weeks until my xray.

We all have things happen in recovery, you may swell a bit more temporarily, but all will be well. You’re coming along fine.

That's too bad you tripped; now just baby your knee. We all have something like that happen. I remember accidentally leading with my non-surgical leg going downstairs and that hurt and once doing a home exercise where I had to balance on surgical leg for 30 seconds, and that set me back 2 weeks.

Feel better. :SUNsmile: :console2:

Perhaps I am posting in the wrong spot...I am 65 lol. Just an update. I was so worried about my bend of my knee because my numbers were not "as expected ". After reading on this site I calmed down and stopped doing tons of exercises at home. I go to physio, rest, elevate and ice my new knee. I had three small falls which led to more swelling earlier on because I was overdoing, and exhausted. ..
A weepy mess! My rom was 88 at 4 weeks, then at 6 weeks it was 98. I had swelling which impeded my bend. My rom then went to 104 and stayed there until I relaxed. At 12 weeks it is 114 and my knee feels different. The tight band is loosening. My surgeon is happy. He says I will notice the most improvement in the next three months. I credit this site for really helping me. I am an overachiever so I figured more was best, when I really needed rest. Now I only do daily activities and walk around as normal. I go to physiotherapy twice a week. I remember being afraid that my knee surgery was a mistake and that my knee would never improve since I wasn't hitting the "magic numbers". Everyone heals at their own rate.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

This might help you find your thread:

My RTKR was March 8 and I still can not bend my knee.Do you know your numbers? I am at 114 for my bend. I still can't put my leg flat so I think that makes the limp.
Your bend of 114 at 3 months is just fine. It will improve as you continue to heal. Same with getting your leg flat, it all just takes time to heal. My ROM continued to improve into my second, and third, year!

Hi Newkneemelodee. I’m also at 13 weeks, today in fact. Glad to hear that you are doing so well. We are the same age and both “achievers”. I also am much happier now that I can see the light. I continue to overdo it, however, although I really try not to, you are more sensible than I. The future is bright! God willing.

Thank you all. This is hard. Every day I continue to read the posts. They are so helpful. I am continuing to do physiotherapy because my physiotherapist does not push. They are showing me how to strengthen my muscles around me knee. Take care.

Yes, new knee, this surgery is not for the faint of heart! But each day you make a little progress, and one day you will think, “how glad I am to have had the surgery!’

So today I discovered my physiotherapy coverage is finished for this year. My bend is 115, my flexion -2. I am 14 weeks post surgery. Can I just heal and gain range of motion without doing the exercises? I hoped to be at 120 before physio ended. Do I need to lift weight on my ankle and use the slider board, which I hate? This news surprised me a bit. I am in a bit of a depressed mood because I don't know if I can just move on with my life and my knee will improve.

I believe you can gain r.o.m. without doing the recommended exercises; however, if they don't cause you any discomfort and you want to continue, then that's okay too. Walking and doing your regular activities (if you're ready for them) are the best rehab and also icing and elevating if you've had a busy day on your feet. When I finished physio, my flexion was 105 and a year and a half later it was 125 without doing the p.t. exercises. I was back to everything I did before including hiking with the dog on uneven surfaces, hills, ravine and riding my bike outdoors. It took me 7 months before I could pedal my bike, but I didn't have any pain after the first few weeks and made a full recovery.

Can I just heal and gain range of motion without doing the exercises?
Yes. It will happen as if by magic. Stretching exercises help, and I reckon are needed for the last few degrees of ROM (I can crouch, but can't sit on my heels). But to re-emphasise, they are not essential.
Do I need to lift weight on my ankle and use the slider board, which I hate?
No.
I am in a bit of a depressed mood because I don't know if I can just move on with my life and my knee will improve.
Be happy. You can and it will.

There's loads of easy stretching exercises you can do. Here's just a few of my own ROM, Extension and Quad exercises

Last edited:
When you consider you are only 14 weeks into a 52-week recovery, you are doing very well and have lots of time for improvement. I would be leery of using any weights for a while. Gentle stretches and ADL will get you to the goal. And you can still ice and elevate.

Newkneemelodee, Well I can understand the wishing I’d never done it part. Especially since I didn’t have much pre op pain. I had my other knee replaced 8 years ago at 61. Did this knee because it’s bone on bone all those years but not painful like my other one. Just thought it was time. Now I regret it because I’m only bending at 90 and I’m 7 weeks out. But I have to stop and remember at 4 months I was 90 with my other knee and by 6 months I was 120. It’s just frustrating with everything opening and it being spring and I’m stuck icing and elevating after a year of isolation with covid. I think that is why many of us are struggling that has just added fuel to the fire. I am hopeful with a bit more patience this knee will eventually stop swelling, ugh! I just keep praying, lol. I’ll pray for you too!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rdollins
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom