TKR Almost two years with tkr

Hi Newknee. I am also obsessed with my knees, looking forward to a time when my whole day doesn’t centre around them. I’m watching Wimbledon tennis at the moment, and find myself studying the angles, not of their strokes, but of their knees! Same goes for anyone limping, on crutches etc., straight to their knees.
My husband must be fed up with it too. Nobody understands fully unless they have recently been through it.
Tomorrow is another day, hoping it’s a better one for you.
 
I can look at someone who's bowlegged or knot-kneed and know that more than likely there will be a knee replacement in their future. Even after 5 years, I notice knees more than I did before.

Can I just heal and gain range of motion without doing the exercises?
I'm one of those who never took formal PT. I've had 12 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals, and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took formal PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing, I am not a lazy person! I used my knee as it was intended to be used by walking around to take care of my daily needs along with the necessary house and yard work. As I healed I was able to do more. Icing and elevation were a huge part of my recovery.

Listen to your knee. It will tell you if you're doing too much by increased pain and swelling. When that happened to me, I found that resting, icing, and elevating helped. Your knee knows how to rehab itself without being told what to do.
I am doing strength exercises lifting weight with my new knee,
It's too early to be doing strengthening exercises. Would you be using weights on a broken leg? Well, you have two sawed-off bones which is just as bad as a broken bone. Just using your knee during the day will help it get stronger naturally without stressing it.
 
Thank you Jockette. I am not good with technology and was feeling really low, so I wanted to post. I wanted to stress that I had my surgery four months ago. I love reading posts. They make me feel so much better. Thank you.
 
Thank you for the post op depression article.Jockette. I reread it again. I am starting to think it may be because I had my appendix out December 2020 then my total right knee replaced in March 2021. I had some bloodwork done yesterday to look at my thyroid.
My question today is do people continue to need meds for pain at my stage of recovery? I am four months from my surgery date. I tried to stop taking naproxen for a few days but I find I can stretch more and have less pain with medication. I take 500 mg of naproxen once a day. I limp without pain meds.
I am so thankful for this group. You keep me from dark days.
 
It is not unusual to take some acetaminophen or something like naproxen months after the surgery. So long as your stomach is tolerating the naproxen, I don't think you need to worry. It may make you more comfortable and able to be active--just don't start training for Wimbledon :tennis2: yet. :heehee:
 
I am so frightened of not sleeping that I still take diclofenac at bedtime, and sometimes a couple of paracetamol during the night. Whether or not the NSAID is doing anything, I don’t really know. Stopping it now, I think it is more like a comfort blanket to me than anything else.
 
Thank you SisterPat and Ghostpipe
I have the coated naproxen thst I used for arthritis in that knee. I am just pleased to hear that this too is "normal". I take gravol at night to sleep as well.
I returned to a volunteer position today and a person whose Mom had this surgery said that her Mom had no idea about how long of a recovery would be involved with knee replacement. She felt so uninformed. I am going to tell everyone about Bonesmart. I too was unprepared
 
Hello Newkneemelodee! I am a fellow Ontarian so I know what you mean about the isolation of the lockdowns. I'm so excited that we are finally moving to Stage 3 opening on Friday. Part of my recovery with my first knee was going food shopping. It was a good way to build up my strength in short spurts. Couldn't do it until I could drive though!
 
It is seven months after my right total knee replacement and I still limp when I get up. My knee still hurts, although not in the same way as my arthritis. I just keep wondering when I will feel happy that I did this. My knee doesn't bend in the same way as it did before. I am wondering if a rowing machine might help me. I kept reading that people say it will heal in it's own time with normal activities of life. I feel run down and I am not sure if it is covid or surgery.
 
@Newkneemelodee you are seven months out of surgery. This recovery can take one year or more. Please don't be discouraged! Yes, your knee will heal on its own time. Relax, listen to that knee and know that you will get to a better place in time.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I feel the same! I am having a problem with a persistent pain which stops me from walking as exercise.
Consequently I have been on the rowing machine at the gym a lot, and am surprised that it isn’t mentioned more often as suitable exercise for tkr.
You only slide forward as far as your knees are happy, and although I am a bit stiff when I first get off it, my knees feel bendy for the rest of the day. It’s like doing heel slides but you don’t notice you’re doing it because of the huffing and puffing! I am sliding much further forward than I was two months ago.
Keep reminding yourself that you have come a long way and still have another5 months to go to the magic one year mark. One day we’ll be grateful, I hope.
 
Ghostpipe I just feel so discouraged. I don't feel like walking because it hurts. I did the rowing machine before surgery so I will do it now. Thank you for reassuring me. I am really down, and wasn't sure if it could still be my knee, or if the isolation from covid, and the worry, was getting to me. I actually have had three other surgeries along with my knee replacement this year. I am not anemic. My other surgeon said it could be that this is all so hard on a body, especially at 65. Thanks for your help. I have a rowing machine of my own. I am going to dust it off.
 
Hang in there @Newkneemelodee and @Ghostpipe, this really is a 12-18 month recovery so as long as the road has been, you still have a ways to go. The good thing is that little by little you really will see an improvement in both discomfort and increased ROM. I continued to improve throughout my second year of recovery. Post-op blues really do set in, and for myself they were way worse after my THR which was only 10 months after my TKR. Those additional surgeries are undoubtedly making it tougher for you.

 
Hi Newkneemelod I am just a month behind you in recovery and it is tough i see little improvements but walking is still the biggest challenge pain and stiffness are my constant companion and this does cause to a lot of worry. Bonesmart helps a lot my wife sees me improving but this recovery is far harder than I anticipated I am 48 and just hope I can keep recovering.
 
Take heart - I had my first TKR in 2019 and was due my second April 2020 and to be honest I was worried how I would cope with 2 dodgy legs. COVID intervened and I finally had my 2nd TKR 11 Sept 2021. I can honestly say that during the last 18 months my first knee has continued to progress. I reckon 2 years is a realistic timeframe. My first TKR is now happy to be the dominant leg. So time really is a great healer.
 
I only wish the doctor had been realistic and honest about the length of recovery. He pushes and is aggressive about using it. He , of course, has never had a knee replacement. I do see little improvements especially if I stretch my leg a lot before getting out of bed. Can I take Advil every day or should I get away from medications?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom