THR Campervan's recovery

Campervan

post-grad
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I thought I'd make a start on my recovery thread for my RTHR direct anterior approach next Monday. When I had my knees replaced I found keeping a thread on Bonesmart helped me see my progress, especially as I know there'll be ups and downs. And of course the excellent advice.

Admission time is 10.30am with surgery around midday. I'm third on surgeon's list. Admission nurse suggested I set an alarm for just before 4.30am and eat breakfast. I'm planning to eat one or two bananas while still in bed. I can have water until 2 hours before admission time.

Anaesthetist called today. She said I'll be having a spinal with mild sedation. There's a possibility I'll be home after one night but most likely two, which is standard here in New Zealand. She said she'll be prescribing an NSAID (I asked for diclofenac as I tolerate this well and Celebrix doesn't work for me), paracetemol both to be taken regularly plus Tramadol and Morphine if needed. For both my knees I only needed the NSAID and paracetemol after 48 hours post op.

I have my crutches from my knee replacements, a walking stick, grabber, gel icepacks, long handled sponge and a tall plastic bag with the end cut off so I can put my socks on. Hospital will provide walker and raised toilet seat if I need them.

Surgeons office gave me chlorohexadine sponge to use the night before surgery. Today used Nair on my legs so I don't have to shave them for a while.

I think I'm ready and organised. OK, what have I forgotten?

All my best this upcoming Monday. Sounds like you are quite ready.
Maybe make a few meals ahead of time to have on hand upon your return.
Let us know how it all goes!

Hi Campervan!
Happy Saturday...by the time you read this. :)

A few suggestions - Take em, or leave em :wink:

Cell phone / Charger
Basic toiletries, such as Toothbrush / Toothpaste
Deodorant
Chapstick / Lip Balm
Glasses / Contact Solution, if it applies
Hairbrush or Comb
Comfy, loose lightweight pjs if you’re staying the night
Comfortable outfit to wear home, again, lightweight and roomy.
Non slip socks or slippers
A large trash bag to place on the car seat making it easier to swivel into front facing (windshield) position for the ride home.

Best Wishes! We'll be watching for your first update.

Hey Campervan! Welcome to the hip side of things!
I also found Bonesmart utterly invaluable when I had my knees done.
I am delighted to tell you that I have found this hip SO MUCH EASIER than knees. I hope you will have the same experience.
I have found the toilet support bars to be really helpful.

The hospital I had mine done at was under renovation, and kitchen operations were pared way back. So I wish I had packed a few me-appropriate snacks.
I have the menopausal temperature regulation issues, so I have a little travel fan that went with me that helped a lot.
Bring your preferred body lotion. Chlorohexadine dries my skin like crazy and once I was awake and coherent, I was really, really itchy.

Best of luck for Monday!

How are you feeling, @Campervan? Did you come down with your husband's cold -- or did you escape it!

I strongly encourage you to take the toilet seat riser the hospital offers! Unless. you have very short legs and a very high toilet, it will make a big difference in your ability to get up and down without assistance.

Another thing that I found really helpful was to put 3-inch risers under the legs of our couch so I could get on and off.

Having been through the TKR recoveries, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much easier THR recovery will be.

Best of luck!

@Campervan Good luck with your surgery Monday, hoping it all goes smoothly and you can be home icing/resting/elevating as soon as possible! I used a leg lifter for the first few weeks, made it much easier to get my operated leg up to the elevation point (and into bed/car). Ordered it through Amazon.

@Layla thanks for the list. Chapstick wasn't on my list and is a great idea as I suffer from dry mouth and chapstick helps. Cellphone and charger is on the list I got from the hospital re what I can take in with me. They didn't mention ipad so I assume I can't take that.

@luvcats I know all about the menopausal temperature issue as I had it with my first knee replacement 14 years ago. I had the aircon in my room at the hospital set to freezing, nurses would come in and put it up when I was asleep. So my husband stuck a sign over the dial telling them to sod off. One nurse was also menopausal and she said she loved coming into my room because it was nice and cool. It was also the week before Christmas and he decorated a small part of my room with Christmas decorations.

@benne68 Unfortunately yes I did catch his cold but very very mild. I think my flu vaccine had kicked in so I wasn't so bad. Its only left me with a bit of a runny nose and post nasal drip which I've told the surgeon about. My toilets at home are a little low but even though I'm only 5ft 4" my height is mainly in my legs. However, I'm struggling getting on and off now so yes I'll likely take the seat from the hospital if offered. If they don't offer there is a local supplier that rents them for $25 a week.

I've deep cleaned and sanitized our ensuite bathroom and bedroom. Kicked hubbie into the spare bedroom and banned him from using ensuite toilet. Sunday, clean sheets will go on the bed as instructed by hospital for after chlorohexadine wash.

@Campervan sounds like you pretty much have everything covered so I'll send you best wishes for a smooth surgery and on to an uneventful recovery. I'll be flying on Monday but will try to check in to see your update once you're up to it.

Day 0
Surgery early afternoon. Back in room by 4.30pm. Surgeon is pleased. I've sat on edge of bed but not not walked nor weight beared yet. Been given Diclofenac, paracetemol and Tramadol. Very little pain, just a bit gripey every now and then. IV antibiotics working through right now. Had a wash and now in my own nightie. I have pumping things on my legs. And a cathetar so no worries peeing.

Glad to see you are all done and dusted @Campervan :ok:
Let the healing begin.

Here are your recovery guidelines.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Day 1 morning
Surgeon came around and said if physio went ok I could go home late afternoon today if I wanted to. I said I'll stay till tomorrow morning. Physio has been and I'm walking with crutches. I didn't even need to try the walker. I'm showered and dressed in normal clothes. Sitting in normal chair using bed table like a desk.

Physio has given me about 5 pages of exercises to do progressively over the next few week and a sheet with Bed Exercises for next few days. I intend following Bonesmart protocols re exercising because it worked with my knee replacements.

Surgeon warned me this morning to expect log leg from tomorrow or Thursday.

I didn’t see a big pillow for elevating on the shopping list…! Hopefully you’ve got that sorted out. Good luck!

Welcome to the healing side, Campervan!
Sounds like you're off to a good start.
Best Wishes as you begin your recovery! :)
@Campervan

Day 2
Showered myself standing up. Spent time with hospital physio on exercises, walking up and down stairs etc. Given permission to use crutches like walking poles. I find it easier and she said it improves muscles used for walking but said its not a good idea if leg is weak, which mine isn't.

1.25 hour drive home was uneventful. Got in and out of car easily - Subaru Outback.

First review with surgeon is in 2 weeks. He said I can do as little or as much as I want to and "its OK to do nothing" - his exact words. He doesn't give any restricions for anterior approach. I don't have to wear TEDs but do need to take baby aspirin for 6 weeks. Also taking paracetemol 4 times daily and diclofenac twice daily. Plus I have Tramadol in case I get breakthrough pain.

Pain score when resting zero but can go up to 5 momentarily when I move in certain directions. I tire easily and get a little nauseous sometimes.

Now I wait for the log leg which he said should start in the next day or so.

So far so good, long may it last.

Welcome home! :flwrysmile:

Hope you're icing and resting!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • Pumpkin