• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Knee not flexible

Molly35

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone it's been since march that I had TKR I feel I have come a long way but still can't fully bend my knee as if I was banding it from behind. I do the excesizes every day but when I walk it's with a limp. Is this normal?

:welome: to BoneSmart

'fully' bending the knee means different things to different people.

As long as it's not swollen or painful you can continue stretching exercises. A physiotherapist may be able to help with gait. Yes it's pretty common, yes you can improve things.

What exercises do you do?

Meanwhile...

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Yeah, this is a pretty long recovery. My knee that was done 8 years ago took 6 months before I could start forgetting about it. They say pretty much a full year to have full recovery and some have said they continue to improve even after that. My second was done almost 6 weeks ago and still limping if I’m on it too long. The internal swelling can take awhile to decrease and every time we do too much it swells more and limits range of motion. It’s seems to be such a fine line figuring out what our baby knees can handle. So they say keep elevating and icing between the times we’re up and around. Paying attention to if bending or pain gets worse what might we have done that was too much and back off a bit. Frustrating isn’t it but it will get there!

When was your surgery? The moderators can create a signature for you.
i had my 2nd TKR at the end of March and it is still stiff much of the time, not all that flexible. It is still swollen and I cannot stand on it for long periods. This is a very long recovery. Be patient and take it slow. You cannot rush healing.

Hello Molly35. Thank you for posting on my thread. You seem to be doing well at getting on with your exercises. Congratulations on getting the exercise bike. Mine has been a good friend, you will see your flexion improve gradually with rocking on the pedals, even if you can’t manage a full rotation, and your legs will be exercising gently at the same time. Just don’t push too hard, not so that it hurts. Let’s us know how you get on.

Hi Molly35,

I've been told a lot of things by a lot of professionals and about the only advice I have is - do what it working for you. You seem to be doing very well at this point.

We are all so very different and while we have some things in common with this surgery and you will get a lot of advice on things people have tried - you kind of have to work through all of the ideas to find out what works for you and your goals.

I was never a very flexible person. I can't cross my fingers without using my other hand to help and I was never able to sit "Indian style" at any point in my life. So, my ROM will take me some time to be able to sit on my feet again - unless I fall and do it accidentally, which I have done and no, I don't recommend that!

I did some bike work today and I was very happy with the ROM I got being that I avoided it for a week because I did so many other "normal" things. I was afraid I had lost some ROM not doing as much as that as I had done a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised that it's continuing to get better - very slowly - but better!

At this point, that's all I shoot for - was today better than yesterday. I try not to dwell on it because this is a roller coaster ride with some steep drops, steep climbs and hairpin turns!

Merlin

Hi Molly
My RTKR was March 8 and I still can not bend my knee.Do you know your numbers? I am at 114 for my bend. I still can't put my leg flat so I think that makes the limp. I was told to consciously try to walk on my bad leg heel first and press down the ball of the foot. I even said in my head " heel, toe" to stress this. I had been unconsciously walking on my tip toe of my weaker leg. Are you still going to physiotherapy? I find the stationary bike helps a lot. I am too afraid to ride a real bike. I think their bike is a recumbant bike. I hope you find lots of help by reading this site. It makes me not worry. This can take seven months to a year I am told. I sure was not told that by my surgeon.

I am in the same way surgery was done on March 17, still have a few issues. Hopefully doctor gives me a few more weeks off I have to be on my feet for 12 hours at work. I have a very demanding job. Does your back hurt when you walk mine kills me.

Hi, Molly
I am in the same way surgery was done on March 17, still have a few issues. Alot of swelling feels warm sometimes. I did have meniscus surgery a 10 years ago and had alot of problems with that to had to get fluid taking out every 2 weeks. Hopefully doctor gives me a few more weeks off I have to be on my feet for 12 hours at work. I have a very demanding job. Does your back hurt when you walk mine kills me.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Les42
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom