Revision TKR Almost three years post op and some pain

I think a talk before hand is a good idea. Lay down the ground rules and stick to them. It's your knee.
 
Well my first pt appointment for this time around is over. My leg look really better this around,but the pain is the same:bolt:I hope everyone have a really nice Thanksgiving. I will spend mine in the old recliner. :yahoo:
 
I'm glad the PT's visit went well.
It's more important than ever that your knee is treated gently.
 
@Celle Thanks, I hope you have a nice thanksgiving. Trying to get comfortable in my bed, I am going to rest,elevate and ice agressively
For the next 3 weeks. I want to be off the walking cane by the new year if possible.
 
@ rightsidelimper
Glad it is working out, was there a problem with the original surgery?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Enjoy the ice and your recliner! I'm glad the PT session went well. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
 
@mwetzel394 yes after my first surgery I had a hematoma that split my kneecap and I went back into surgery to repair it last Friday. Now I am on the road to recovery once again. Thanks to my bonesmart friends for keeping me up in prayer and keeping my spirit up while going through this .:console2:
 
Well I hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving now it's back to work. Pt will be here at 2 and I am ready to get to work on my rom. Leg is super tight. Bandage is clear this time, but today I am one week post op........:yahoo:Pt said if it hurt don't do it. And it's not how many reps that I do but it being patient and letting knee heal itself.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't work too hard. The leg is tight because of swelling and working hard will only make the swelling worse.
 
Pt just left, said my rom is very good. Need to work on strenghting my leg muscle. Getting that leg up is a challenge. I should be able to do it by Monday I hope.
.
.@KarriB thanks for the info.....:thankyou:
 
Glad to here it is going well! I go in in 3 days!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
Don't train too hard to strengthen muscles. Remember slow and steady wins the race.
 
Please, no strength work for 4 months. Straight leg raises are enough for now. I had a very hard time with them, so I used my leg lifter, pulling with my arm power to help my muscles remember what they needed to do. After a week or so I was using less arm power and more leg power until it was all leg.
 
Go slow, I am sure you want to move ahead at this point after your set back. But with this being a repair you def don't want to break it back open. After I started my wound care treatment to finish healing up my incision all stretching and P/T was stopped, but my leg needed that chance to start mending instead of being stretched and pulled on from p/t and home stretches. Think was one of my biggest issues when I had problems was the continued going for p/t and stretching of the knee incision/wound think had I stopped sooner, it may have mended on it own even.
 
I have lots of experience with knee surgeries, 11 of them. My last one was a RTKR. After my first knee surgery I went to the in-hospital therapist and she made me bleed inside and out. That is the last time I ever had PT. So, through 11 knee surgeries with no PT, I am doing fine. I live alone and have to take care of myself, house, yard and cats. I had no help, just me. Right after my surgeries I did the ankle pumps and heel slides. Getting up and going to the bathroom and kitchen was my therapy. As I got stronger I increased my activity. I had times of pain because of my activities, but not nearly as bad as it would have been if I had let PT control my therapy. I firmly believe no one needs PT. They just need to use the knee as it was meant to be used. Elevation, ice and meds are a must during the first few months. I still use a cane in public because people can bump into me and throw me out of balance. I am not ashamed to using it. I am blessed to be able to walk at all! Don't be too quick to lose the cane. It can make those around you take notice and be careful around you.
 
Please, no strength work for 4 months. Straight leg raises are enough for now. I had a very hard time with them, so I used my leg lifter, pulling with my arm power to help my muscles remember what they needed to do. After a week or so I was using less arm power and more leg power until it was all leg.
I have absolutely no leg power at all. My leg is huge and tight. I hope next Saturday I will be able to lift my leg. I will try exactly as you has said. Thank you.
 
The strength will come in time, now it's all about healing from both surgeries. The leg raises will come, just give it a try a few times a day.
 
Well my leg raisers have improved. Pt just left. He have finished his 2 weeks. I got doctors appointment at 3pm. Friday I will be 2 weeks post op. Leg get tight and hurt from outside of knee up the side of leg after short walk. Hope to be on cane next week.
we'll doc said everything was looking good. Surgery was a success. Pt will continue to come to my house for several more weeks rom is over 90.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your leg is tight and hurting because it's swollen. What type of exercises has the PT had you doing?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom