TKR Almost one year, still a bit sore

Hi everyone, I am really dealing with the blues right now.. I thought I was doing better and I guess I am but then I get up and my leg is so stiff and feels like a lead weight and it doesn't want to bend and then I try to bend it and it hurts like hell. Every time I try to bend it it just feels like it's not my leg and then this shooting pain reminds me that it is my leg.
It's all just so frustrating and awful and I feel like I should be making more progress but I really can't bear the pain. I'm 3 weeks post op.
 
You're very early in this recovery, 3 weeks out of what can be a year before totally healed. It's very normal to have swelling this early and that swelling is keeping your leg from bending. Your soft tissues are still traumatized from the surgery. Try your keep your knee elevated and iced as much as possible.

I had massive blues. Being stuck in the house is hard as is not being able to concentrate or be a part of everyday life. Usually between weeks 4-6 TKRs may begin to see or feel a bit of improvement. I tried to find something to watch on TV that took my mind off my knee for a few hours, of course I usually fell asleep, but it helped a bit. It also helped to a visitor here and there, buy not for too long.
 
Yes, we know just how you feel! We felt it too at 3 weeks. I cried so much and was so upset I had invited this surgery. Hang in there, know you are not alone in this. It does get better, just not as soon as we would like.
 
ahhhh just 3 weeks post op, that is very normal. even at 5 months post op, after sitting or driving my leg is also stiff and painful but just for a couple of minutes until i straighten up and start walking. at 3 weeks, bending my knee was torturous, especially when sitting on toilet, even with the raised toilet seat. is there anything you're doing that may be aggravating your knee more than the normal surgical pain? are you able to take your pain meds okay? perhaps you need to keep on schedule with the pain meds?

i'm sorry you're having pain, along with frustration and feeling blue ~ all understandable. this is your time for healing, no way of getting around it. be good to yourself, let yourself be pampered. you're so right, it is frustrating, especially in the early stages when it seems like nothing is improving. hang in there. things really will get better and the pain and swelling will subside. vent here any time.:console2:
 
@Irelandliz, I'm happy to hear your staples are finally out, but wish you weren't in so much pain; pffft! The first several weeks are really a rough ride for all of us. That said, you should be able to get fairly comfortable if you are taking your pain meds by the clock and icing and elevating the majority of the day. I, like many others here, found at around Week 4, the severe pain diminished a bit, and then more so with each passing week. Right now, you're in the toughest part of recovery, but it will get better than this fairly soon; promise!

Many here do get the blues, and let's face it, lack of sleep, constant pain, narcotics, and dependence on others for just about everything are not exactly a recipe for happiness, eh? Your blues are legitimate, and there are some good articles and posts here about this phenomenon. You're not alone and that always helps!

Good for you in buying some pretty, new comfy clothing and actually going out of your way to curl your hair and put on some make-up! I can't say a word, 'cuz I lived in a nightgown the first 3 weeks; hah! For me, it was a *Red-Letter Day," when I could manage underwear, lol. My leg was so swollen there just weren't any pants available that would fit properly, so for doc visits I went with a sundress. With underwear, of course.
 
@Irelandliz.....God love you, I know just how you're feeling. Just when I thought I had a handle on this surgery everything went south. I would cry and wonder if I would ever be normal (?) again. Then it would pass. I think most of my blues came from boredom. Good grief a person can only lay around and watch so much TV before thinking I can't do this anymore. Then the pain and not being able to bend my knee didn't help either. Once I finally realized this was going to be a longer journey than I thought, it made it a bit easier. Be patient with yourself. Don't do anything that aggravates the situation. You're going to get through this with flying colors. We're here for you........just yell and we'll come running !!! You got this girl !!!!!
 
I feel like I should be making more progress
At 3 weeks you should consider that your knee is still a new surgery. You just don't heal or get better that quickly so stop to expecting miracles! Baby yourself more and go back and read the advice I gave you earlier? I do hope you're not still doing oodles of exercises, are you?
 
Hi KarriB
I am binge watching a lot of different shows so yes tv is definitely my friend right now. And I know what you mean about visitors, I just don't feel like having any of my friends over, at all... is that awful!!! I text them daily but make excuses when they want to come over. Do you get uncomfortable all the time like me too, moving from butt cheek to butt cheek trying to find a way to lie that doesn't make some part of my leg ache?

Hi Jockette
Yes tears seem to flow from my eyes at various times in the day.. sometimes when I'm trying to perch on the loo even - gosh I didn't anticipate even that being a challenge! Lol. When I feel very weepy I usually call one of my spaniels for a cuddle and that helps although I have to be very careful I pay attention to where they are because they love to lie on my legs when I'm in bed :yikes: I've been back in my own bed with my husband for three nights and I sleep with a big pillow over my knee all night.

Hi Pheebs
You made me giggle about the sundress and the underwear... lol. I've been wearing Jammies at home as I find they're the most comfy and I can then put the polar care thingy on my leg without an extra pillowcase because the Jammie's are thick enough.

I realize reading your message that I've made the mistake of slowing down on my pain meds as the pain has decreased because then when I do get up for my walk around a few times a day I am so sore afterwards so I will go back on a timed regimen as I did before. Thanks for the tip! I've also been elevating now with my lounge doctor although to be honest it is not so comfy for me at this point but I persevere!

Hi CrissyP

Although I am sorry that you have gone through this same journey I am grateful for your words of encouragement- it makes a whole world of difference having you all to listen to me cry and stomp my feet and not judge me or think I'm a big wuss!

Hi Josephine

I have heard a few stories from people who have been up at six weeks and off on vacation and it made me wondering at three weeks I'm still limping so much! I realize now that was silly but it is what it is. I haven't been through this before and as humans it is a natural instinct to measure ourselves against others.

When I went to have the last 20 staples removed the doc's assistant asked me why I wasn't going to PT. I told her I want my leg to heal a bit and that it's just a case of relearning how to bend and walk again. She said that's not really true that PT is how I'll learn how to move again... Anyway I will go when I'm ready.

I am walking a few times a day with my walker to alleviate the stiffness in my body more than anything and the rest of the time I am lying with polar ice machine on my leg for 20 minute periods off and on until the ice is melted. I usually do that twice in a day. And that's it!

Thanks everyone, today has been a better day knowing you're all there with me on this journey :loveshwr:
 
You can ice longer than 20 minutes at a time. Ice is a great pain killer and helps with swelling. I iced for about an hour at a time that first month.

Yes, my hips and backside hurt a lot, but I knew it was from sitting for so long. Once I was able to do more those aches and pains subsided. I also found that it was best to stay in my meds until I started forgetting a dose here and there, that meant I didn't need as much and began cutting back at that point.
 
@Irelandliz Oohhh I remember 3 weeks out. It is not fun, I feel for you. Do you have Netflix? I caught up on shows that I wanted to watch. Binged watched Criminal Minds. Just wondering if you are doing any bending and straightening of the knee at home? It will get to feeling better. One thing that has helped me when I get stiff is if I am sitting I will straighten my let and bend it about 20 times. Just an idea. Oh, yes, keep taking those pain meds, they are very helpful.
 
I iced the whole time I was sitting, and that was hours! As long as you have a cloth between your knee and the baffle, you will be fine and won't overdo. Shoot, I even iced all night long. The longer and more often you ice and elevate, the better your healing and pain will be.
 
When I went to have the last 20 staples removed the doc's assistant asked me why I wasn't going to PT. I told her I want my leg to heal a bit and that it's just a case of relearning how to bend and walk again. She said that's not really true that PT is how I'll learn how to move again... Anyway I will go when I'm ready.
Good for you! And for the record, it's not true that PT teaches you how to move again! That generally comes naturally. If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
I am lying with polar ice machine on my leg for 20 minute periods off and on. I usually do that twice in a day
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
 
I iced the whole time I was sitting or laying down for the first few months. My swelling never got above moderate and my pain was well controlled with the ice most of the time. I don't think you can ice too much unless you don't have some kind of cloth between you and the ice to prevent freezing your tissues. I can say that I was addicted to ice! Oh, and I still have some ice packs in my freezer just in case!
 
Almost 4 months out, and I am still occasionally dealing with the blues. I had a great weekend with family this past weekend, but came face to face multiple times with fatigue, things I still couldn't do, and some pain and discomfort because I overdid it. Ergo, I really hate to admit it, but I had some "down" moments and even a few tears when we were packing to go home.

@Pheebs52 nailed it with her list of all the reasons why these blues are legitimate. Indeed, the question should be: Why wouldn't you be feeling blue, at least part of the time? As others have said, this surgery repeatedly kicks us in the posterior. Turning the question around allows you to celebrate the times you aren't down, right? If you can identify those up times, you can celebrate them.

The good news is that as you make your way through the weeks of healing, the down times will make way for more up times. In the meantime, try to be gentle with yourself and ride out those blues. Are there comfort things you can do for yourself when you feel a down period coming on? A favorite tea? Dark chocolate? A hug from your favorite person?

Just try not to do what I did at about the same time period where you are right now! :yikes: I watched a shopping channel, which I never do in normal life. And you guessed it: I ordered a bunch of clothes--like 3 dresses, a jacket, a bunch of tops-- I didn't need or really even want! :sos: And because I was in the midst of the blues, I ordered them all at least two sizes too large. :shrug::shrug::shrug: They are now residing in a big box in the very back of our walk-in closet. Whoops! It would have been so much better just to eat a piece of chocolate or call my sister!
 
@Polkadot just reminded me how much of a hit my wallet took during the first four weeks of recovery. Funny, no one warned me about that, lol!

Hope you're feeling a bit more like yourself today @Irelandliz. BTW, my entire bod had aches and pains I never knew existed from all that lying about....:whistle: The good news? They're long gone. Yours will be as well once you move more.
 
Hi all, well today is a better day for sure than yesterday - I felt so lightheaded yesterday and realized it was my BP - so when hubby came home I had him boil some water and a tablespoon of bouillon into it. I know the sodium helps raise BP also I drank some electrolytes. Maybe I haven't been hydrating enough with the pain meds especially!!

I've also found I have really flaky dry skin on the tops of my feet and I'm not quite sure why that is - I've never had it before so I've just been putting Aquaphor on it. Maybe it's all the lying around :what:

I was icing my leg all the time for the first few weeks - it was hardly off my leg but I've found a strange thing for someone who has lots of hot flashes lol, it was making me soooooo cold that I'd have to put a cardigan on and wrap myself up in a blanket with the shivers. So strange! Anyway I read what you all said so I will endeavor to start using it more and for longer periods of time again. The physio of course told me only 20 minutes at a time :loll:from the first time I saw him at day Four post op. I did mention to him that he may have to read up on the protocols of knee replacement surgery that it isn't the same as for treating a sprain or sore joint!

I have never actually tuned into the home shopping network which is probably a good thing lol but I am addicted to Amazon shopping, Zulily shopping and the worst one lol is Wish.com.

I make jewelry and have a website so I have used this time to actually make myself some handwoven bracelets. I don't have a lot of concentration at the moment so I do it in spurts but it keeps me occupied in between the binge watching on Netflix and Britbox. :egypdance:
 
It sounds like you are progressing well. Good days so soon after surgery are a treat! I envy your ability to work on your jewelry at all. Your energy and concentration will come back slowly, but they will come back. It took me a long time to get back any sort of concentration and desire to do any of my work. Even now, at almost 10 weeks out, I still have a little trouble motivating myself to do some things. Of course, maybe I'm just using my knee as an excuse for being a procrastinator! Do watch out for those late-night shopping stations. I discovered when the mail arrived one day that I had purchased a cheesemaking kit. E i e i o!:heehee:
 
@Lil Cyborg, inquiring minds want to know: Did you make any cheese?

@Irelandliz, we would love to see some of your jewelry. You could post it in either of these social-room threads: Any knitters??? Crafty folks??? or Artists among us? Just let us know you've done so!

I'm impressed that you've been able to do a bit with your jewelry. About the same time frame, I tried a toned drawing. It was all wonky because of the pain meds, I guess. Also, I couldn't sit long enough to enjoy it.
 
or someone who has lots of hot flashes lol, it was making me soooooo cold that I'd have to put a cardigan on and wrap myself up in a blanket with the shivers.
I have been plagued with hot flashes for years, but not with all the icing I did. If was in the 90s here last summer and I'd have to go sit in the sun to warm up. But, I wouldn't trade that ice for anything back then! You can always put on more blankets, but not less icing!
 
Back
Top Bottom