TKR Almost one year, still a bit sore

I have been way warmer the last few years than I used to be, though actual hot flashes seem to come for a time, then back off for a while, but for a month or so after surgery I was cold all the time. My friends were shocked to see me in long sleeves!
 
I needed an electric throw during my TKR recovery. I iced and had throws piled on top to keep my warm.
 
I'm really impressed that you're able to work on jewelry making so soon @Irelandliz! What a great distraction from all things *knee* and hey, if it keeps you out of Amazon and Zuilily, even better, lol!
 
but then I get up and my leg is so stiff and feels like a lead weight and it doesn't want to bend and then I try to bend it and it hurts like hell.
@Irelandliz forgive me for sounding hurt but you never answer my posts so I am left wondering if you even noticed them much less read them because you keep posting the same compliant all the time. (not that you're not allowed to!) For instance, did you read my advice here
 
Hi Josephine,
I am so sorry if I appear as if I have not read anything you said - I have read every article and every post several times and have tried to include everyone's comments in my replies.

If it appears as if I didn't read your post about my leg being stiff , I did - I was having a very bad day and I thought that this was what this forum was about - helping each other through the bad days... Whether we have mentioned something once or many times I didn't think it mattered, sometimes it's just about releasing the pain and the frustration with friends who have experienced the same thing and learning bit by bit what will help each of us. My apologies!

As far as the medication goes, I apologise for not mentioning that I can't take tramadol because I am on effexor and they're contraindicated, and as far as Percocet or oxycodone - I might as well take sugar pills, they don't work. I have found in the past that the pain pill that works for me is a combination of acetaminophen and codeine so knowing this has worked before my doctor prescribed it for me. I probably should have maintained the two pills every four hours but it left me feeling drained and shivery. I am also taking prescribed 325mg ecotrin because I have a history of blood clots.

I really do appreciate all the advice and suggestions I have been given.
 
Jockette, I was so happy to read that you were cold too (and I mean that in the nicest way lol) my husband couldn't believe I had on a cardigan in bed with a heating pad because in 35 years I have always been the 'hot' one lol having the Aircon at 70 most of the time hehe!!

And KariiB, you too - an electric throw - I love it! I thought there must have been something seriously wrong with me to be shivering all the time!

Pheebs, I have really only worked on my jewelry this past week because I would get it all out on a tray and then I'd stare at it like a zombie lol. I have just made a handwoven bracelet this last week so I definitely feel a lot better :-)
And who mentioned me staying away from Amazon and Zulily haha!!
 
Hey @Irelandliz
Just chiming in with good wishes and encouragement! IT WILL GET BETTER.
My journey has been a bit backward by comparison. First 5 weeks a breeze and then, look out !
I'm at about 4 months and can finally see the full recovery approaching in the rest of the year.

It's so difficult in the beginning to take the long view. But pretty soon you'll be seeing improvements and feel more confident.
Something that helped me was to look at progress weekly or every 2 weeks. Its usually just too gradual to see daily.
Also many, including me have sudden"jumps" in recovery. I've had a few and they always make me laugh and really get me to see i have NO IDEA how this will go. Just give my knee some love and practice patience (not so easy!)
 
Unfortunately I am back to being hot again! My poor husband is freezing all the time so we have had to compromise on the AC setting, and I am the best wife ever because it is set at 78. I also have a fan next to me when I'm sitting in my spot, while he is wearing long sleeves, pants, and sometimes wrapped in a quilt!!! Poor man! The fan is an ossilating one so I try to be sure it hits me and not him. Oh well, he does a lot for me, too. ❤️
 
i was also cold for a few weeks after the surgery ~ usually i'm hot or comfortable when everyone else is cold. i'm back to normal temperature now at 5 months post op, have been for quite awhile. as far as pain and stiffness in operated knee, i still experience that after sitting for more than a few minutes; takes a moment of stillness and stretch, then i'm okay. if i get up and have to get to the phone fast or correct the dog, i end up limping to my destination lol. that bracelet you made sounds gorgeous ~ that's great you're doing something artistic while recovering.:flwrysmile:
 
I think I saw a comment about"till the ice is melted" in polar machine? Had anyone told you about using frozen small water bottles instead of ice?
My husband bought 12, leaves them all in freezer and takes them out 4 at a time.
Not all machines are shaped the same but it was very efficient. Also at a certain point, I could get the bottles myself and relieve him a bit.
 
@Hopetohike
That's amazing that your first part was a breeze, were you able to do PT and did you not have a lot of pain?

My husband keeps telling me "look how far you've come!" And at least I'm up walking around a lot more...

A week ago I was afraid to take a shower on my own and now I can so baby steps definitely....

Thanks for your comments :-)
 
@Hopetohike
Gosh that's a great idea about the water bottles because lugging those big bags of ice from Walmart all the time is a pain! Thanks for the tip
 
@liam2015
What a beautiful dog!! Wow! So regal looking! An Irish setter? I have two cocker spaniels, brothers from the same litter Seamus and Quinn :-) one chocolate and one Black and Tan.

Yes being cold is a very new experience for me and one my husband is thoroughly enjoying lol with the AC turned up to 75 in the evenings instead of the usual 70 and I still need a blanket. I'll enjoy it while it lasts...

I usually make beaded rosaries but because of the walker and now the cane I find my hands are a bit sore and I don't want to use my pliers to bend the pins... maybe when I'm walking without an aid my hands will feel better!!

Thank you for your comments :-)
 
@Irelandliz, I was a former, "Hot Mama," who became an "Ice Queen," during the first 8 weeks or so post TKR. My body temperature seemed to have adjusted back to *normal* since then, so yay, something is *normal*, lol..

'Twas me who mentioned Amazon and Zulily, lol! Amazon stole my wallet during those first few weeks and I'm still recovering from that; hah! Of course, that was during the serious "Zombie Phase," hahaha!
 
haha @Pheebs52 i thought you were going to say you were an ex-olympic figure skater lol! @Irelandliz yes, he's an irish setter, rare in these parts; some people have never heard of them. i grew up with the disney film "big red" lol. cocker spaniels are adorable and i love your irish names ~ we spent a long time thinking of an irish name and liam won out. i'm sure you will want to get back to walking your dogs ~ that was one of my main goals after surgery, to walk my dog again (safely of course). you'll get there.:doggie:
 
@Pheebs52
Sorry that's my Irish sense of humor lol. What I meant when I said Who mentioned me staying away from Amazon and Zulily I should have underlined the staying away part lol. You said "if it keeps you out of Amazon and Zulily, I did those As Well as making jewelry lol it wasn't a substitute hehe!!

@liam2015
I love the name Liam - my favourite actor Liam Neeson <3
 
At 6 weeks, I still fluctuate between cold ( most of the time) and hot. I wear a jacket to bed while I read. Then when I am ready to snuggle under the covers to sleep ( I hope), I take it off and leave it on the floor so I can put it back on first thing in the am. I sit in the family room under a blanket, until suddenly I am too hot and I have to turn the ceiling fan on. Then suddenly again, I am turning off the fan and cuddling under my blanket again. I need to remember to take a sweater with me whenever I go out.
 
@OJ2
That's just like me, my cardi sits next to me on the sofa and in bed and it's on and off and on again, as is the ceiling fan - lol off, on, off, on and the AC too
 
My teeth chattered through the first two months of my recovery. Whenever I iced, I had to snuggle under a heavy throw blanket to ward off the chills -- and I had them half the time anyway. I longed for 100 degree days where I could lounge on the screen porch sans A/C and enjoy a cold fruit drink. Otherwise it was hot beverages for me. Now, thank goodness, I'm back to normal and even when icing don't get the chills.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom