TKR Almost one year, still a bit sore

I bend my knee, like susieshoes, until it hurts. Then I take a deep breath, try to relax my body, and then see if it will bend a little more. If not, ok. I am not into pain, and I told my PT that. I don't think he was happy, but I have a rom that he is happy with. I keep trying the bicycle, back and forth because I can't do a full rotation yet, but he says it is coming. And I always ice after I do my exercises. To me, movement and exercise are the same. After what we have gone through, any movement is exercise for our bodies, knees and all.
 
I know my Knee angle is not where it should be but am hoping it will eventually start to soften and it will become easier.
Did you read my answers to your answers? I explained all that in there.
 
@twogannon, please set up your own recovery thread so we can advise you and you and have all your posts and answered on you thread. Also, please tell us your surgery date and what it was.

Once you set up your own thread, we will be sending you some recovery guides and try to answer any of your questions.
 
My swelling has gone down significantly the last few days which feels great - I did want to mention the area to the right of my wound is really numb - I asked the doc and he said that nerves would eventually regrow but I have a feeling that I may not get all the feeling back there!

My appetite has gone and I can't find anything I want to eat which I'm assuming is a side effect from the pain mess and I am constantly struggling with constipation too. I was using miralax which works but then it says on the bottle not to take more than seven days in a row. Is there anything else that works smilarly do you know that doesn't have a time limit on it?

I honestly didn't think the incessant pain would ever end but it seems to have finally eased with just a few breakthrough pains throughout the day.

Thank you all for keeping me sane!
 
I had the same problem in that nothing sounded good and nothing tasted good.the one day in week 3, I told Hubby I wanted a tostada from Taco Bell. Don't know why, but it actually tasted good. Tried a burrito too, but it was bland. I was thrilled that something tasted good. Now in week 5, taste is slowly coming back. Every little step forward is a huge accomplishment.
 
Both of my knees still have numb areas. The last surgery on my left knee was about 7 years ago, and that numbness is still there. It doesn't bother me at all. The inside of the knee isn't numb, just the skin.
 
I did want to mention the area to the right of my wound is really numb - I asked the doc and he said that nerves would eventually regrow but I have a feeling that I may not get all the feeling back there!
That numb area is inevitable, because the nerves have to be cut, to allow access to your knee. This article explains it:
Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?

My appetite has gone and I can't find anything I want to eat which I'm assuming is a side effect from the pain mess and I am constantly struggling with constipation too. I was using miralax which works but then it says on the bottle not to take more than seven days in a row. Is there anything else that works similarly do you know that doesn't have a time limit on it?
It's normal to lose your appetite. Just eat small amounts, frequently, until you feel a bit better. Make sure you keep up your fluid intake. Some people find that protein drinks are helpful.

As for the constipation, that's caused by the pain medications. Here's an article that may help with that:
Constipation and stool softeners
The direction to not take Miralax for more than 7 days is a general one, because in normal circumstances you shouldn't need an aperient for a prolonged period of time without investigation. However, these are not normal circumstances. You know what's causing your constipation, so I think it's safe to keep on taking the Miralax. You'll be able to cut it down gradually, as you reduce your medications.
 
@Irelandliz, I'm relieved to see you came through Irma intact; phew! I have relatives in the Vero Beach area with minor damage and no electricity, but they feel *lucky* and I guess they are compared to some, eh?

I had an in home PT during my first week of recovery who basically tried to shove my knee into my nose. Needless to say, I had to get rid of her and I developed a certain level of squeamishness about flexion in general. In retrospect, I consider the squeamishness a positive.:SUNsmile: The only real fear I experienced after that nasty PT was going down the stairs. Yep, I'd stand at the top and just couldn't envision myself even trying to go down them foot-over-foot. Then, one day, when I least expected it....voila! It just *happened* as do many milestones on the TKR planet.

Like you, I had a lot of swelling the first 3 weeks and clearly that prohibits flexion. Let's face it, it's like trying to bend a concrete wall; pffft! Things slowly began to improve as most of the swelling (not all) went down and I've had very slow gains in flexion over the entire 16 weeks. Regardless of speed, I'm getting there, and you will as well. Try not to get hung-up on ROM numbers. Instead, think about function, the things you can do. The ones you can't do right now will become victories down the road and we have badges and T-shirts for those, lol.
 
@Irelandliz, before I had my knee operation I had some trouble with constipation. My PCP said to try magnesium, the kind you can get at Wal-Mart (magnesium oxide). It worked wonderfully well. After my operation, I used the magnesium oxide pills once per day. It worked beautifully for about 2 weeks. Then I used Miralax until that stopped working. So I went back on the magnesium and all was well again. By then I was off of the Percocet, so I could use the magnesium as before.
 
@Irelandliz I am so glad you made it through Irma safe and sound. Glad to hear that your swelling has gone down. I also had problems with the constipation issue. I used Metamucil besides the stool softener that the OS prescribed for me. That combo really moved things along.
 
Same for me: stool softener + Metamucil + prunes worked for me
 
@Irelandliz I have been following your thread with interest, and first let me say I am happy that you got through Hurricane Irma. My thoughts are with everyone affected by Harvey and Irma.

I am nine weeks post op, and I was very envious of the fact that only two weeks after surgery you seemed to be able to sleep pretty well. I could not sleep more than one hour at a time for at least the first six weeks. Many TKR folks have a lot of trouble sleeping for the first few months. You already have a big plus on your side!

I'm so happy you found this forum, and are listening to all the encouraging, supportive, and wise people who are here to listen and help. I have benefited enormously from all of the articles and the friendship shown to me by the members. We have all gone through the same thing, and although our experiences may differ, we have the privilege to share our stories and benefit from others'.

It sounds like things are looking up for you, and I think they will only get better. Time really does work wonders, and if you rest, not overdo, and allow your knee to heal, I think you will see a big difference. It is your knee, and you are in control (although sometimes it really seems like your knee is in control!). Sometimes I have to have a really good talk with Bob, my knee, and remind him he better listen to me, or else!

We are all rooting for you and cheering you on!:yay:
 
Eating pears or drinking pear juice is great for constipation. I was given some juice while still in hospital and it does help.
 
Yet again I'm so grateful for all the information. I am sending hubby out this morning to get some Metamucil and some pear juice that sounds pretty good to me. It's funny when I was in the hospital I asked my husband to buy me a big bag of the individually wrapped prunes because I ate those anyway but I found that they give me too much gas in the hospital so I stopped eating them LOL

I am going to get the rest of my staples out this morning and I know they booked me at physiotherapy session at the sports rehabilitation center and I have tried to cancel it but all the phones are down so I will be telling them when I get there that I am not doing any physical therapy this morning.

I'll let you know how the removal went , Hopefully not as painful as the last one, this time I have taken two pain tablets because I am a bit of a wussy LOL.

To the comment about my sleeping, to be honest I think the only reason I have been sleeping is that Xanax that they prescribed me... I do intend to stop using it lol

Bye for now - have to try and get myself looking halfway decent to go to the doctor, it's been too easy wearing PJs most of the time :-)
 
Being stylish while recovering from a TKR is important to self-esteem... well, for some of us. You live in a nice climate for capris and lovely, distracting tops. Shoes make the outfit, so perhaps slip on sneakers in a pretty color, or fashion sneaks if you're good at tying your shoes. Looking presentable can be done! :martini:
 
I wore a pair of hubby's shorts for the first couple of weeks. I actually took them without permission to the hospital because I wasn't sure any of my shorts would fit over my knee. I did confess later. I now have to wear shorts all the time. Fortunately I found a pair of capris that just come over the scar when I am standing, and I can pull the hem up just a bit so it doesn't bind when I sit, so I think I look semi- decent for church. I don't want to scare everyone off. And I am always wearing my sneakers. Don't want to trip.
 
I wore makeup for the first time at my 2 week check up, and only foundation and blush and mascara. I didn't bother with hair products because I was napping so much my hair got messed up. It was easier to brush it out after waking without any product in it. And I was actually happy enough with how it looked without the styling products. Who knew!
 
Well girls quite honestly I bought myself some snazzy pj bottoms at TJ maxx and that is and has been my home attire and for going to see the doc I bought 2 pairs of big wide palazzo pants. I wore those to and from the hospital as my bandaged leg fit under them comfortably. The first makeup that touched my face was last week when I went to get my staples out - today I even curled my hair so things are looking up... lol

So staples are all out and I asked the doc why he only took half out at a time and he said two reasons: firstly because it is quite painful and half at a time is easier for a patient to bear and secondly because sometimes the wound is not completely sealed so it gives it another chance for it to completely close. I'm glad now honestly because taking the twenty out was enough pain for one session for me!

I told him and his assistant I didn't want to do PT until after the fourth week but that I would continue walking and doing the exercises he recommended. He was fine with it and didn't complain too much... lol
 
Wow, that's great he didn't fuss about the PT!

At 6 weeks post op, and after some difficult repercussions of PT, I asked my surgeon if I could stop and he told me they hadn't finished fixing me yet ( or words to that effect).

I had found Bonesmart about 2 weeks earlier so I knew it wasn't them "fixing" me at that point.

My husband, being the athlete he is, and the belief in the US that PT is everything to knee replacement recovery, didn't want me to stop going to PT against the surgeon's wishes, so I did continue, but on my terms, and I cancelled some appointments but went maybe 2 more times until PT discharged me.
 
I guess each surgeon has his/ her own preferred way of doing things. Glad he was caring enough to take the staples out in two sessions.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom