TKR Almost one year, still a bit sore

@SusieShoes

I'm sorry you were shivering too, it's so strange when you're not used to it, isn't it!

Why do you think we all got so cold? I have used the polar cube before when I had an arthroscopy in April and I didn't have that reaction... maybe it is to do with the medications and lying down most of the time...

I am glad you've warmed up though :-)
 
If it appears as if I didn't read your post about my leg being stiff , I did - I was having a very bad day and I thought that this was what this forum was about - helping each other through the bad days... Whether we have mentioned something once or many times I didn't think it mattered, sometimes it's just about releasing the pain and the frustration with friends who have experienced the same thing and learning bit by bit what will help each of us.
It's true that supporting one another is a big, and very important, part of BoneSmart. But it's not just a chat group.
Josephine has many years of experience in orthopaedic nursing and her advice is invaluable.
 
I'm not sure it's the medication as everyone is on something different, but it could be the trauma of surgery. TKR surgery is not for the faint of heart.
 
It's true that supporting one another is a big, and very important, part of BoneSmart. But it's not just a chat group.
Josephine has many years of experience in orthopaedic nursing and her advice is invaluable.
And that's why I mentioned that I read every one of the articles that she sent me and I learnt a lot and have thanked everyone for their comments and input on more than one occasion.
I am sorry if I have offended you and/or Josephine, it was certainly never my intention to do so.
I will withdraw from the site
Regards
Elizabeth
 
I agree with Karri, I think it's the trauma of surgery.

But I'm back to being hot.

I will be sorry to see summer end because I will continue to dress like it's summer for a while yet, while others are starting to bundle up. People are always asking "aren't you cold?" while I'm still wearing sleeveless tops.
 
Don't leave, Elizabeth, we all need each other and appreciate each other's input.
 
@Jockette and @Hopetohike Thank you both.... I really do appreciate every bit of information and am very grateful to Josephine and everyone for all the articles that have been sent to me.

I just hate to think I've upset anyone :boohoo: So please forgive me in advance - I am British and we do say things differently in some instances. :spin:


While I'm writing this I have both legs elevated on my Lounge doctor with my ice machine on - it took me a while to enjoy having my legs elevated though as I found it quite uncomfortable at the beginning. Maybe it's just because it's so high! Did anyone else find the lounge doctor pillow really high or is it just me?

My wound is almost healed well on the outside anyway and I've graduated to walking with a cane now which feels a bit wobbly still but I promised my husband I would take it slowly. How long is it usual before I should try walking unaided?

I am finding that my skin is excessively dry though, has anyone else had this? Especially my legs and feet.
 
You will find, after a while, that you are just carrying your cane and it is not really being used as a cane. It is then you are ready to do away with it. I started walking around my house without the cane around week 3, but then took it with me when I left the house. 1. It was helpful with uneven ground, and 2. It was sort of a warning system to other people to not bump me. Now at week 6, I don't take it out with me, but if I happen upon uneven ground, I grab hubby's arm. I am not walking fast, but the tortoise won the race.
And I hope you continue on this site. You don't have to agree with everyone on everything. And yes, sometimes the written word does not convey the correct emotion we are writing with.
 
@Irelandliz, don't quit the site, you've only just begun! Besides, we all enjoy your posts and your Irish humor, even if we don't always understand it, lol.

I found the Lounge Doc too high if I used it on my sofa. I CAN use it in bed and on my recliner. I have a bad back and a bionic hip, and I found it aggravated those two things if I used it too long and in other seats than mentioned. So, when on the sofa, I would use two, firm bed pillows (not the recommended 3) which seemed to work just fine. We're all different, so we need to experiment with what works for us.
 
Once again, surprise, surprise, we're all different with using assistive devices for walking. There's so much diversity here; hah! I think I ditched the cane at around Week 4 in the house, but later for outdoor walking. I still bring it with me in the car *just in case.* Walking outdoors is much more challenging due to uneven surfaces, hills, crowds and so forth, so I just feel safer knowing I have it with me. Just the other day, when going to PT, I had to park a fair distance from the building (really big parking lot) and decided to carry the cane with me. I didn't kneed it, but was glad I had it as a security blanket.:SUNsmile:

Aaah, the dry, flaky skin! It's dreadful, isn't it? I'm not sure what causes it, but it seems most of us have it to one degree or another. I began to use a light exfoliant scrub at around 6 weeks every time I showered and put heavy-duty moisturizer on it once the incision was fully healed. Regardless, it still took longer to disappear than I wanted; pffft! I think as we become more mobile, circulation improves and that helps.....just my pet theory.
 
I didn't like my wedge at first, but I love it now.

I was nervous giving up my cane but did fine without it when I did. I kept it in the car for quite a while, just in case. And I do still find it useful when I go to a restaurant as my knee still does not like to stay in a 90 degree angle when sitting ( come on already!) mainly with a higher seat, so I use my cane to prop my foot up and even those few inches makes my knee happy.

The tops of my toes are extremely dry!!! I don't understand that. Never had that before.

Nice to hear from you today, I was worried about you. I echo what the others said, I just couldn't come up with the words. Hugs!
 
My cane has a flashlight in the handle and the button to turn it on is right where my hand is so I was constantly turning it on by mistake and unknowingly. I discovered it when one of my PT's commented on it. I am glad the battery finally died so I don't have to deal with it anymore. (Never got around to just taking the battery out!)
 
@Jockette, I agree with @Irelandliz. 78 degrees! I would absolutely die. However, the first 8 weeks or so, I was very cold. I even had the heating people out to check our thermostat! It ended up needing replacing, but I'm sure I would never normally have even noticed. Who puts their heat on to "warm up" the air conditioning in the summer??

The tops of my toes and feet are currently driving me crazy with itching. Also, I seem to itch at a lot of joints--base of the thumb and little finger, for instance. As I'm sensitive to a variety of products, I have been using three different ones depending on the location of the dryness and itch. This for someone who never has "moisturized" a day in her life. It's gotta be related to this TKR journey, right?

@Irelandliz, I found that I had to put the Lounge Doctor further away from me or closer, depending on how I was using it. I too find elevation challenging, and it is still not very comfortable to me. When you get over being too cold, you may find, as I did, that the Lounge Doctor covering (acrylic fabric, I think) makes your legs hot. I solved that by draping an old sheet over it.

Written responses always run the risk of sounding different than they're meant. I've run afoul of that a few times here. Add to that your short time recuperating, which probably contributes to general fuzziness and malaise, and it's understandable that a person might respond more shortly or not as quickly as she might were she in top form. I'm aware that some of my "jokes" or light-hearted comments have fallen flat or have been taken seriously. I'm also aware that I tend to write in an authoritative manner, which isn't great if I mention a medication or some such, as I am not a medical professional. Don't give up! I'm sure the moderators are just trying to make sure you get the help you need. We'd miss you.
 
hi Irelandliz...i also had the dry flaky skin, and on both legs, not just the operated one. once the incision healed i put moisturizer on both legs and that resolved the issue. regarding the lounge doctor, when i'm laying down it is just the right height but if i'm sitting up, i sometimes put a cushion underneath to make it higher. i would like to try that movement where you raise your legs straight up on a wall, laying on the floor. we used to do this in yoga ~ i never knew what the benefit was but i'm sure it was something helpful lol! i'm hoping this will help with the swelling.

i love your new avatar with one of your pups. i've been trying to get a selfie with liam but haven't got just the right, perfect one hehe!:flwrysmile:
 
Be sure that you're drinking enough water. I found that I needed to drink a lot of water the first few months after my TKR. Everything felt very dry, my mouth, skin etc. I believe it is a side effect of surgery.
 
:SUNsmile:You guys are all marvelous - thank you :loveshwr:

And this is Quinn, one of my 'twins'... Seamus and Quinn (and my husband of course :))have helped me through the days when I've just sobbed, and maybe cursed a wee bit too, at the inconvenience, and the pain, and the inability to do just normal everyday things.

I love the idea of the sheet over the lounge doctor, you're right @Polkadot the fabric is really warm which is ok when I'm icing and using it but when I'm not I 'hot flash' everywhere lol and the coolness of a sheet would help for sure. I rarely use moisturizer on my legs or body for that matter because of the 'power surge' problem with my hormones. I find it makes me feel as if I am wrapped in saranwrap :SUNsmile:

@Jockette i have that same cane its a foldable one with a round base that stands on its own which is handy when brushing teeth etc and you need both hands. The flashlight is handy at night for bathroom trips then I don't have to put the bedroom light on. My two dogs are dark coloured, one brown one black so I'm always afraid of tripping on them in the dark!! I bought the cane on Amazon and it was one of those awesome purchases... much like the raised toilet seat with the handles on it, I couldn't have managed without that either!

@OJ2 I think I will be doing the same as you, keep it in the car and if I know I have a fair bit to walk take it with me as a security blanket. And I like the idea @Jockette of using it in a restaurant to prop your foot up with :)

@liam2015 :wowspring:I couldn't even contemplate getting on the floor and putting my legs up the wall - I don't think I'd ever be able to get up again, well not without a crane... lol. But I applaud you for thinking about doing it. Let us know how it goes!

@Pheebs52 i think you're right, I'm better using the lounge Dr in bed but on the sofa it feels way too high... I think I'll do the same from now on, just pillows on the sofa :idea: And I think you're right about the circulation and the skin, I think I'll get hubby to buy me a loofah on a stick for now as I can't quite reach my tootsies yet and I'm sure I can find some body butter or something. The dry skin thing has been freaking me out lol

@KarriB its funny you said that because I think that has also been my problem. I know to drink water but because going to the bathroom is such an effort these days (especially the first 2 weeks) I've been trying not to drink too much - silly because I know better but pain makes us do strange things we wouldn't normally do, doesn't it!

Thanks all - have a wonderful afternoon - I'm going to have a wee walk outside in the sun with my walker just to be safe as I'm on my own at the moment... :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
A friend of mine gave me the cane and it does have the base you mention but will not stand on its own, much to my dismay. It never occurred to me to use it during the night to find the bathroom, that's a good idea. I just turn on the little light next to my bed.

Enjoy your walk! Take your phone with you!

The first time I took a walk while my husband wasn't home a stray cat came over to see me. I was so afraid it would trip me and my husband would never let me out alone again! But all went well.
 
The dry itchy skin drove me crazy, and I had it on both legs. I felt like a walking, molting reptile. Scrubbing with a loofah every morning in the shower helped a lot and eventually (after a few weeks) it was gone. But in its places were two super smooth, super shiny legs! My shins reflected nearby objects. It's true. :flabber:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom