TKR Almost one year, still a bit sore

I've heard that word, too. Not sure when I stopped hearing it. :chinstroke: I too stopped icing when it started hurting. That happened when the swelling went away. I iced daily for several months, though, and think it helped a lot.
 
I am so thankful for this web site. I feel my knee would be getting much better by now but it is so slow in healing. Im 10 weeks out from my TKR surgery. I feel people that haven’t had this surgery think I should be totally better by now, how depressing! Then I read everyone’s comments & I feel so happy that we are all in the same boat & Im not nuts. Thank you everyone!
 
I've heard that word, too. Not sure when I stopped hearing it. :chinstroke: I too stopped icing when it started hurting. That happened when the swelling went away. I iced daily for several months, though, and think it helped a lot.

I haven't heard that word and it made me giggle - not sure why lol

I am finding that when I walk my knee isn't sore however every single time I get up off a chair, any chair, I have 10-20 seconds of pain sometimes in the front but more usually in the back of my knee. And it doesn't make any difference how long i have been sitting for, it can be a minute or 20 I still always have moments of pain until I start walking again. That is very frustrating to me! I am very overweight and am trying to lose some now and am wondering if the weight is hindering my recovery. It makes sense that it would!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Well, I’m also very overweight; in fact, I’m clinically obese, though I weigh less now than I did at the time of my surgery. So I can say from experience that being overweight doesn’t mean being doomed to pain after TKR. While being heavier might have some bearing on your pain upon rising from sitting, it’s probably not the only reason, or even the main reason. You’re eight months into a year-long recovery, and it’s quite possible there’s some soft tissue in your knee that just hasn’t gotten around to healing yet. Still...

I’m tagging @Josephine to see if she can help figure out why you are still in this much pain.

It’s good that you’re walking a lot. Strong leg muscles are a good thing!
 
I've always thought of a hassock as being the thing you kneel on in church.
Ottoman is not a word I use much. I prefer footstool.
 
Those moments of pain on standing up will diminish as time goes on. They'll become shorter and shorter and then not at all! It's that time thing that's so hard to deal with. But, once it's over with, it'll be so worth it!
 
I've always thought of a hassock as being the thing you kneel on in church.
Ottoman is not a word I use much. I prefer footstool.

A hassock - isn't that a Russian soldier - KIDDING. :rotfl: And an Ottoman is an empire isn't it. - OH MY GOSH I CAN'T STOP. . . .:loll:Getting pretty silly, it must be time for bed.
 
Those moments of pain on standing up will diminish as time goes on. They'll become shorter and shorter and then not at all! It's that time thing that's so hard to deal with. But, once it's over with, it'll be so worth it!

Thank you for that and sorry it took me so long to reply.... I am trying to not take any more painkillers and unless it is really aching I persevere. One of my older friends was just diagnosed with kidney failure because of all the pills she had been taking after she fell and broke her hip several years ago so it frightened me a bit.
My husband is always reminding me that when i was walking every morning a few months back my knee felt better but it's a vicious circle because when my knee hurts the last thing I want to do is exercise it.... Lol. But I know he is right! Strengthening my leg muscles has to help my knee recover more quickly.... Now to get off the sofa :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
A hassock - isn't that a Russian soldier - KIDDING. :rotfl: And an Ottoman is an empire isn't it. - OH MY GOSH I CAN'T STOP. . . .:loll:Getting pretty silly, it must be time for bed.

Lol i like your sense of humour :-). I always thought a hassock was the robe that a priest wore but I guess upon asking Siri that it is a cassock - oh well! Close but no cigar lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
What word? I'm intrigued now!

It's probably a small bit of tissue that has tendinitis. I doubt it's anything serious.
Unlikely.

Thanks for the info Josephine - my husband is telling me to try and do some more walking which is probably a good idea. I am almost at 8 months now and am still frustrated at the amount of discomfort and pain I have - and it seems that anyone I know has a story of a friend of theirs that recovered sooooo quickly after their surgery!!! Don't they know that saying that just makes me more anxious !!!! Lol oh well people will be people - thanks again for the info... Maybe an anti-inflammatory now and then wouldn't hurt!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I’m sorry you are still so uncomfortable.
Those stories of people who recovered sooooo quickly are often very exaggerated and misunderstood.

For example, I told someone recently that I started bowling, carefully, at 3 months. Their response was wow, they were impressed. Realizing I had given a misleading statement I described just how that went, that I only did one game, I was shaky by the end of that game, my husband and to put my shoes on for me, and tie them, etc. She picture me cured and bowling like normal. If I had not described my experience in more detail, she might have told someone else that I was bowling at 3 months and that person would have picture normal bowling!

I am 13 months now. I am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel! :happydance:

I did some sewing the last few days and it’s the best it’s been yet. I can get up and down from my chair easily, get up without pushing off the chair with my arms. That’s new. I can sit down with my knee bent normal, I don’t have to put my foot out giving my knee a lesser bend. I can stand at my ironing board preparing my fabric for as long as I want now. Twisting and turning in my little sewing room doesn’t bother my knee like it used to.

I am excited. It took over a year to do these things. :wowspring:And I thought I’d never get to this point!

I will have to go put this on my thread as an update.

You have plenty of time to improve. Walking is good. Just take a short one. 10 minutes. Or not. Do what feels right for you.
 
@Celle . Not sure if this is correct place to post! Could you change my thread to" almost one year, still a bit sore" thx.

Also how do I get back to my own thread to post?
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom