Guest viewing is limited

THR Almost a year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to go Haldox! I'm so impressed at how well you're doing!

:thumb:

Hoping your hubby recovers quickly too - those burns sound horrible.
 
Hey -

Yes the osteophytes are bone spurs, and they are what limit the range of motion and contribute quite a bit to pain. Good that they get those little rascals out of there !

Don't be too bummed about the unmatched set - even you yourself couldn't tell before you read the report. No one else will ever know. The DePuy Tri-Lock that I got in Nov has been flawless so far, and I've really tested it out recently. They are a division of Johnson & Johnson. Here's more info if you are interested ..

https://www.depuy.com/healthcare-pr...e&sorting_type=asc&ajax=0&page=1&per_page=100

I did not get a screw on the Left one, but will have to go back and read the report again on the Right. I wonder why they put one in sometimes but not others ? If you find out, please let me know.

Have fun at outpatient PT - in the mean time keep doing your own exercises at home.

Here's a pic of the x-ray of the DePuy in my left side (Nov).
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Almost a year!!
    017 (2).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 167
Kevin-I know no one will SEE that I mismatch, but I know LOL Thanks for the DePuy link, interesting. Not to sure why the screw, thinking that my acetabular was pretty messed up and the screw for the cup is to make sure its really secure.:scratch:

I was googling Zimmer and Dr. Berger and found some interesting articles, heres one. So maybe Dr. Berger did have a fall out with Zimmer and has moved on to DePuy.
 
Ok, found a NY times article about Dr Berger and Zimmer broken link removed: https://https//www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/business/20knee.html?pagewanted=all. Looks like there was a fall out!

Reading through OP report again, this time a +1 neck length was used for my R.
 
Have finally managed to get your videos to play Haldox. To say I'm impressed would be sooooo understating things. They are just WOW! So glad you're doing so well, keep it up!
All the best
Anne xx
 
It sounds like in the end your OS used the hip he was most confident in given your situation. Pretty much normal procedure.

So glad you are doing well! All the best to your Hubby! He is a real trooper having come through such a horrid accident.
 
Screw or no screw is to do with the implant design. Some are designed to be used with a screw, some with two and even three screws. Other devices are designed to be used without. That's all there is to it.
 
Haldox, you're doing fantastically well! Does your mismatching set mean you will be walking in circles :biggrin:

Jings, your man's accident sounds horrifying. Hope that he heals soon.
 
Yes I had read about the legal tiff last summer when I was researching OS. From what I read, they kissed & made up, and he uses both now. Claim is they make the decision based upon best fit for the patient ? I figure both are good - similar design just slightly different shape.

From the manufacturers website & documents, it shows they have cups available with or without screw holes. I asked during training class what determines if you get a screw or not, and the instructor said the OS makes that decision after having reamed out the acetabulum, depending on remaining bone quality (eg: whether their usual "press fit" will work or they want the added security of one or more screws.).

End result is I think you can fell secure that you have a good piece of hardware. Did you see that Coach K from Duke Basketball has TWO of them also - he is a spokesperson for the company

https://www.depuy.com/patients-and-caregivers#play-right-video
 
YoooooHoooooo Haldox,

The most important has to be Pizza! I was browsing the pizza menu last night thinking about delivery then opted for soup, then read your pst and thought darn I "should" have ordered hahahahah! Sooooooo tonight for sure I haven't had pizza in forever yummy!

Without knowing to much details there must be something going on with the zimmer brand. I have depuy! However when I went in for my post surgical check up my dr's pa abandoned me in the room for about 30 minutes (thank goodness I like them eh!) when she came back she tried to explain that their main hospital which is a big one here in Dallas Presbrytarian had not renewed their contracts with Zimmer. Their panic was they had to go through all their upcoming surgeries and use other products. Now I have this simple look on my face right now to me this would be easy sooooo they use a different hip manufacturer, however I'm thinking maybe its a little more indepth process??

My OS obviously uses different manufacturer brands, maybe Josephine can help on this one...does each brand offer something unique and special for each patients situation or ??

Let's go back to pizza chat yay! It's too early to order right now, I'm going to early evening!!

Love X-ray Kevin! You both are really doing so well!

xxooxx
 
Kevin-Thanks for DePuy research. I've done Zimmer research pre op and wasnt expecting to learn about a different one!

Sarah-I could eat pizza everyday..mmm...making me hungry!

I had an exciting Saturday night!!Never have thought getting my legs shaved would be something to brag about but my hubby helped me shave-woot woot:th_heehee:It was 3 weeks worth-:sick:

Still have a problem with the area around incision itching sooo badly, very dry and now I have tiny bumps!I've tried Vit E oil, Vit E lotion,hydrocortisone cream and my MIL just gave me some Mary Kay emollient night cream to try. She says that stuff will fix almost anything irritated/dry right up. Its helping so far but if this doesnt work, anyone got a better idea?????Its driving me nuts:hissyfit:
 
Also wanted to say a very big THANK YOU to everyone for the well wishes to my husband. Hes done wonderfully with the RFA but still waiting to get any relief from it(can take up to a couple weeks to know if it worked or not)

:ThankYou:
 
Hi Haldox

Just logged on during my Monday lunch time..

Coconut oil (virgin) is absolutely fabulous...

Google Niulife and it will get the links to all benefits of the oil.

I keep a jar at work, so that I can applynit at least three times a day. It has wonderful antibacterial properties :)

Xxx
Sandy


p.s. Happy to discuss more about the topical use of coconut oil, but running out of lunch time xx
 
Screw or no screw? In my experience, if a device is designed to be used with a screw, most surgeons will use one. But yes, there are occasions when some surgeons will consider the shell is secure enough and doesn't need one.


As for options for special situations, there are many variations for different requirements in the femoral components of most devices, offset necks, longer/shorter posts, etc. But the shell, no. Liners might have a hooded feature if they want or need extra protection against dislocation but that's about it.
 
Yes I had read about the legal tiff last summer when I was researching OS. From what I read, they kissed & made up, and he uses both now.

Doesn't this just make you wonder what else the "make up" involved? Contracts signed, money exchanging hands, promises of whatever.... How do you judge the financial connections between doctor and appliance manufacturer?

I didn't like that little exchange of blame mentioned in the article about the hip hardware problems (manufacturer vs. surgeon's skill) -- that doesn't sound good....

Haladox, I hope the weekend went well and that your husband's RFA procedure will prove successful very soon. Enjoy your PT too! :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Cardie-I have no doubt about surgeon skill :biggrin:

Ive noticed this morning while doing some housework :skeptical:that R leg doesnt "feel" as long today, quite nice actually.:wink1:

Yesterday I also got to attend my daughters indoor soccer game!!!Sat on bleachers for almost an hour just fine.

Slowly but surely get back to "normal":th_heehee:
 
Hello me again lol I talked to nurse from OS office, she says sounds exactly like an allergic reaction to the skin glue, treat like such-benadryl,hydrocortisone cream, aloe, calamine lotion. Just keep all these things off incision.
 
Haldox, I just saw your videos. Don't you look terrific. And only a couple of weeks out from the second hip. Your (and Jetlag/ Kevin's) progress has been phenomenal. It's really interesting to see how the different surgical techniques can affect the recovery. With you having children it must be great to be able to be up and going so quickly.

Best wishes to your husband!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom