Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I wrote for one of my pages......


I am a writer. It's in my blood. When all else fails...I write. When words aren't there to be spoken, if I write it, it comes across so much better and so much clearer. When I first learned of my knee damage I really didn't think much of it. Knee pain. I was 41. It wasn't that big of a deal. If I lost some weight the pain would go away and I could live fully again. I would buy boatloads o...f Ben Gay and I could get that cheap with my coupons. I used tubes and tubes of it. It brought temporary relief, but there was always a nagging pain there. I guess I learned to live with it. I got to know all the different creams that were out there for arthritis/sports injury and should have bought stock in them. As the days turned into weeks, and the weeks turned into months I just learned to live with chronic pain. I waitress and I could feel the toll it was taking on the rest of my body, but I accepted it as something I would have to buck up and deal with. I have never had a high tolerance for pain, so to me if anything it was a learning curve. I fought the pain, I used ibuprofen and dealt. I continued onward till I hit a brick wall. First surgery was May 25th, 2012. I went in thinking I was getting a scope and would be out for 2 weeks of work. I knew there was a chance I may need some more extensive work, but I figured it wasn't that bad, they would fix a couple of tears and I would be on my way. When I woke up in recovery and saw my doctor, he gave me the news. I had to have a microfracture done and I was now non weight bearing for 6 weeks. I wasn't too concerned because well....6 weeks off my leg seemed like a vacation to me. At the time the pain actually wasn't that bad. It was day surgery and I went home and started my 6 weeks "vacation." If anyone has been on bed rest, it's not all it's cracked up to be.....it plays with your mind, body, and spirit. I am a go getter and I wanted to go. DO THINGS.

I survived that surgery, but it did no good. I then went on with shots, exercises, you name it, anything to get that knee going. The weight started to pile on because the pain kept me more and more inactive. I could no longer work the long hours waitressing. I had never been one to work out, but I was a walker. I couldn't even do that. Enjoying my morning and evening walks was gone. I slowly just gave up on me. I was no longer believing in me...My knee was gone and in my mind so was I. I became depressed. I was overweight, limping worse and worse and my world was falling apart around me.

Nearly a year ago I met a man who would change my life. I was complete in me, I didn't need anyone to complete me. But when this man came in my life, he took it by a storm. He is very health conscious and as the relationship progressed he encouraged me to look at all options. I had been told now for 2 years that a total knee replacement would be my end result.. I fought it. I pretended I no longer hurt. I held my head high and just fought through that pain. My love could see that pain behind my eyes. I couldn't hide it and anyone that knew me, knew that I was hurting more and more. We started a healthy eating plan together and even though I lost the weight, the knee was still "broken." Knees just don't self repair. It was gone. I just had to get to the point that I knew that enough was enough. I was scared. Of another surgery, of losing my knee at what seems a very young age. Of the pain. Of falling asleep and not waking up. I now had the man I was made for. I now had everything in my life straightened out. I was emotionally sound. I was losing weight and had a good mindset of what healthy was. The fear was the only thing holding me back.

I have been blessed with some pretty amazing people in my life. That support system didn't come by chance. I built that by allowing people in, taking a chance at being cared about. I was encouraged that if I truly needed surgery they would be there with whatever I needed. I prayed. OH did I pray. Faith is real to me, faith is my everything. Believe is my absolute favorite word. That one word sums up pretty much my existence. I could quote so many Bible verses, so many personal stories that the one word changed it all for me.

I had surgery February 11th of this year. I had no idea what to expect I just knew whatever I was going to endure, had to be better than the life I was living now. I can remember waking up I recovery and the first question was "does my husband know I am alive?"....to which they giggled and said yes dear....

Fast forward to today....24 days post opp. The pain was the most grueling, earth moving pain. It is a deep overwhelming pain that took me by surprise. Some days I don't think I can handle it I sat and looked into my husbands eyes two days ago and pleaded with him..."you said you would help through this...please just take my pain away. He looked at me with tears silently falling and said..."Oh babe wish I could"....I started physical therapy and I am kicking butt. I am getting stronger by the day. Not only physically but mentally. I am no longer HER. I am no longer the person that was grappled in fear, by fear. I choose to face that fear head on. I face that pain head on Prayer is my solitude, talking about it, sharing about my journey is something I vow to do. You can apply this to any aspect of your life. We become so overwhelmed by fear it keeps us from living. You have to face that fear no matter what that fear is. God's timing is impeccable. He sent me an angel in the form of my future husband, that would teach me one of life's biggest lessons about believing in yourself and letting those walls down.

I have a long journey ahead of me. It won't be easy, and some days I will fail. But I will pick myself up, wipe myself off and continue onward. Because this journey is SO worth it. Why? Because I faced my fear and did it. It's so much more than a broken down knee.....It's about living, truly living. About loving who you are, and believing that you deserve it all. So many changes will happen for me this year, so many that no one knows about....but I am ready. I have come back stronger, healthier, and I am going to kick some BUTT! To those that have helped me along this road, you know who you are, I thank you and love you so very much. Today I claim 2014 as my coming back year!
 
I would buy boatloads o...f Ben Gay and I could get that cheap with my coupons. I used tubes and tubes of it. It brought temporary relief, but there was always a nagging pain there. I guess I learned to live with it. I got to know all the different creams that were out there for arthritis/sports injury and should have bought stock in them.
I could have written that! I was exactly the same way!!!

God's timing is impeccable.
Praise Him...it is the truth and I love Him!!

It's about living, truly living.
Yes it is friend it truly is!!! We haven't been living for soooooo long but are pressing forward for the new life we need!!
Have a FANTASTIC DAY!!!!!
 
ugh I called doc office again and nurse called back.

Not a happy camper........Why oh why does this have to hurt so bad and take so long.
 
Can anyone answer me this....if you would. 3 weeks out. What type of pain meds and dosage were you on?
 
Hi @Karringtyn, As you know I had my surgery the day after you did so I am one day behind you in recovery. I take 1 or 2 Oxycodone when I get up in the morning, 1 or sometimes 2 Oxy mid afternoon, and 1 or 2 Oxy before bed at around 10:00p.m. I say 1 or 2 because I am now trying to cut down to only needing one at a time, but sometimes I can't handle it and need to take 2. I quit taking any pain meds during the night over a week ago because they bothered my stomach when I don't take with a meal or substantial snack. I had my 3 week app't with my OS Physician Assistant yesterday and was released to Outpatient PT now. My ROM is almost at 100 now and I am only 3 degrees from straight. PA was very pleased with my progress and so am I. Starting outpatient PT next week. Hope you can get your pain back under control. Mimi
 
I still do oxycodone 1-2 pills every four hours. I tried to go to one pill and found that by the end of the night I was really uncomfortable so I still take 2 every 4-5 hours. At night I add one Tylenol PM as well and it has been getting me a bit more sleep!
 
Karringtyn, you know not to compare yourself, your activities or your pain meds to others, right? We all heal differently. We all do different activities each day. We all feel different levels of pain. I will tell you though that at 3 weeks I was still taking 2 oxy every 4 hours (and would usually start hurting after 3 hours). I wasn't able to cut back on my pain meds until well into week 5. You do a lot (even though you don't view going up/down stairs, laundry, bathing, dishes, cleaning, etc... as much). Probably much more than you should be doing at week 3. Add in PT on top of it and you're going to be very very sore, sweetie. :-( I'm sorry for that.
 
I also had my surgery the day after you. It sounds like to me you are doing super! I am not getting around, still on the walker (tried a cane, didn't work out real well..oh well, will try again soon). I am taking 1 hydrocodone 10-325 every 4-6 hours. Oxy did not sit well with me. (Anxiety, nightmares, jumpiness) Been in in-home PT since day 6. I can do one or two small chores (put dishes in dishwasher, wash a few by hand, make coffee, etc) a day plus do my own ADL. (Hey, putting on compression stockings is cardio!). And DogLover is right, everybody is different. But it sounds like you are really progressing well! Take care.
 
Hi @ Karrington, I enjoyed your intro and I agree you are a great writer. I really think that is what you should be doing while you recoup.. once you get yourself comfortable and not having so much pain. I am 3 weeks shy of 5 months post surgery. It seems looking back, like eons ago I was where you are, though I have not been in quite as much pain as you describe.
Can anyone answer me this....if you would. 3 weeks out. What type of pain meds and dosage were you on?
I was on oxycodone 10mg/325 (double strength tabs), but I also have Rheumatoid arthritis so I was recovering from knee surgery and dealing with pain throughout my body from the RA at times. I also at the time had a pain patch on, Butrans which releases a small dose of pain medication to you 24/7. The patch is changed weekly. There was only one day that my pain was not controlled well and that was my first full day home. I took pain meds every 4-6 hours around the clock as I needed it for the first two months. I continued taking pain medication as needed the 3rd month and I went back to work Jan 13, a week before my three months was up. I agree with DogloverX3. The days I had PT, that was all I could do. The more you do and three weeks is still early in the game the more you will require your pain meds around the clock. Hope you are feeling better real soon.. :egypdance:
 
Let me clarify. I didn't ask about the pain meds to compare surgeries....but rather to see if my doc is a whacko...lol. Kidding. But seriously he won't change the type of med I am taking to something lighter because I finally have the pain under control and I am now in PT. I know, he is right, and some of you told me. But I am stubborn. OXY is too strong. I am a waitress he is the doc, I guess I need to be humble and realize he knows and I don't.. Hmpppffff.

I am doing well. I had a couple more surprise gifts show up at my door yesterday....Believe is my favorite word........everyone knows that.....so I got some believe gifts..... :)
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath


I got on the exercise bike yesterday here at home and I love it. I ordered some new candles and tarts and got those all put away in the new cabinet....and spent time with a friend. I do a lot of selling online and I got more of her daughters clothes listed as well as my own daughters clothes and some knick knacks and cookbooks.

Pain this morning? About a 3. I am more stiff than anything. My ex took our son out driving and he dropped off my new pain script....yes my ex works in the same town as my doc...so he picked it up for me yesterday....very thankful for him!

Kids are coming over today for a couple of days.....ex and I share joint custody....I miss them when they aren't here!

Happy Saturday all!
 
Hi @ Karrington, good you have ex - tra (no pun intended) support. One needs all the support you can get when you are not feeling well. I used to be up early morn with knee pain. Hey I was up this morning with RA pain. With me if it is not one thing it is another. My house looks like a pharmacy with med bottles in kitchen and bedroom. I have not been able to pull my house together since I have been back to work. Just getting to work and working is more than enough for me. Hope you are feeling better soon. Get plenty of rest while you can. Rest, pain meds, ice. The exercise bike is great. I know what you mean. My son has one here and I use it sometimes. Take good care of yourself.
 
I have done a lot of sleeping today. Been very tired today. Pain was high mid evening, but has become more tolerable by now....it's about a 5 now. I keep drifting off to sleep. Once this movie is over, it's off to bed. Tomorrow I promised myself I would work on our wedding scrapbook...hubs bought new scissors tonight for me. I really want to do this!

How are all of you doing?
 
We went to the community breakfast then had a late lunch with friends . It was my wife's birthday . Then we went to the Leesburg Art Fair, then home . I carried my cane but didn't use it . We may go back to the art fair tomorrow because we saw a really neat piece we liked . It's water running down over a mirror, enclosed in glass and lit up . We're trying to decide where we would put it on the wall and which wall .

Rick
 
@RickSt that sounds pretty! How long have you and the wife been married?
 
Hi @Karringtyn I love scrap booking and have done a few of them. Enjoy your scrap booking adventure. It can keep one busy for hours.
 
@RickSt that sounds pretty! How long have you and the wife been married?

It will be 11 years April 30 . We met on the internet . I was married and living in Indiana . Claudia was married and living in Arkansas . We were both married to alcoholics . I had been married 22 years and Claudia 32 years .

Rick
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom