TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Rick I hope so. I am SCARED to death.

Of what? PT. Yes. I know how I feel. I think I am doing dang good from where I have been. But now I am going to hear the reality of it. What if I have failed? What if my ROM is now 10? What if?

I know I know.....slap me.....
 
@Karringtyn - it will be fine - trust me. You will not have 'failed'. And if you have not achieved the level (that only you believe that you should have achieved) - dont fret, because it will improve. Read the ROM results in the Library section. Mine isn't spectacular, in spite of doing as I am told and trying hard. It is what it is but I know that it is steadily improving, and will continue to do so. Every day in every way you will get better and better.
Hope it goes well - be thinking of you.
X
 
Oh Rick I hope so. I am SCARED to death.

Of what? PT. Yes. I know how I feel. I think I am doing dang good from where I have been. But now I am going to hear the reality of it. What if I have failed? What if my ROM is now 10? What if?

I know I know.....slap me.....

You're throwing up things that aren't there . If you can sit in a chair normally with your feet on the floor, you're probably at least at 90 or more . If you could drop a plumb line from your knee to your heel and your heel is behind your knee, you're greater than 90 . Extension is the hardest to accomplish , especially if you've been limping a long time . That's where the stiffness comes from in the morning . Trying to get your leg straight .. ROM will improve as swelling goes down . Muscles need to be stretched for extension and that comes with exercise and time . You'll do fine .
Rick
 
HA! I took pictures of my hospital bill and sent to hubby when I received it - it was $124,000.00 - and that's JUST the hospital! I think you'll find you ENJOY PT actually, especially because you're walking so well already. Just remember, don't let them hurt you or have you do something that actually hurts, okay?? :friends:
 
So......Physical therapy. First I walk in and the receptionist is an old friend of mine. Instantly put at ease.

The therapist comes out to get me.

She evaluates me...takes a big sigh and says..."wow. I can't believe it's only been 3 weeks." I instantly get full of pride for myself!

My knee ...well the straightening part needs work...I am at 12 right now....and when she showed me on the measurer I was like WHOA! And I thought I was straight. My ROM is 95 still.....but I am telling you after all of these exercises piece of cake compared to what I thought I was going to have to endure. I rode the stationary bike. Didn't do great on that...but like she said it is just day one. I actually found one for sale online...so I am going to get that tonight after PT.

I have PT again tonight and then already scheduled for three days next week. She said my attitude is great and that I have got this.

I walked all over the gym with no assistance. She just kept repeating....heel toe...heel toe...elongate .....yeah yeah....I know I know....


Here is a pic hubs took of me while waiting to be called in. No makeup...hair not done...so tired looking...but it's me....

[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
 
Told ya so didn't I . Not all PT is the same . Over the next 4 weeks it'll get boring and easier . I go through half of mine without my PT telling me what to do because some exercises never change and only occasionally does she add a new one .

Rick
 
Hi @Karringtyn lovely to see you've done ok! My rom was similar to yours but the straight measurement was the same. The following week it went from 12 down to 7, then the next week it stayed the same, then on my last week it dropped to 4 with a rom of 115. They discharged me! I still have to work on the movement esp the straightening. We only get four weeks PT here. Any more you have to pay privately or get referred again by the doctor. My issue is that every month out of my salary I pay national insurance which goes towards my state pension and medical care, a separate contribution to a private pension and I object to having to pay twice for something that over the years I have paid hundreds of times over. I'm going to do the exercises myself now and ask my middle daughter if she fancies going swimming. I can exercise in the water.

Good on you Karringtyn, you did yourself proud today!!!! Xox
 
@Nana moon 27 I have as long as I need....I am paying through private insurance....I can't wait till water therapy......that's what I want. Just found out our Y offers knee classes in the pool too.....oh yes I will be taking that as well.

If anything this knee replacement has kick started me eating healthy and just taking better care of me all around.....That I am proud of. I had let myself go between my surgery in May of 2012 and now....
 
Oh KARRINGTYN !!:yay: Nice walker , we got to put spinners and crush velvet diamond tuck padding and bells and whistles on it . Who tied your shoes ? I cant tie my shoes !! Its great that you feel comfortable there. You dont have to hurt yourself there or let someone hurt you . :no-fin: Just have your back hand ready at all times. :hissy:And I mean ready . And just be honest , tell them 3 weeks ago that your knee was hacked open and that they want you to WHAT !. Than say that it needs to heal not split opened . My therapist told me to slow down and that I was gonna hurt myself . He said I need to heal . Made me feel good to hear that . I said I thought he was gonna be a physical torturist and he smiled and calmly said "not yet ". I cant bend my knee much either(flexion) but my extension is almost 0. I cant bend because im doing way too much . I mopped , vacuumed , OPT, drove to GF aunts house and watched a movie , went shopping etc. Now my flexion sucks . I WONDER WHY . Id rather be bed ridden . Its a catch 22 and a tale of caution . The more ability one has early on, the easier to set yourself back . I convinced myself pre op I would "take my time " and be patient. I lied to myself . I need to re evaluate my recovery and take it easy . Thats probably why my previous OS wanted me to wait 10 more years, as im still sowing my oats . Sorry to rant im just disgusted with myself for overdoing it !! Im glad I have you guys to vent to, to laugh with and to be myself . YOU GOT THIS !! Iceman
 
@Karringtyn, you are killing it girl! PT will be great for you. Although I do get more sore on my PT days, I thoroughly love going. The Therapists are all sports junkies like me. I have seen 4 of my own patients during PT. That has been comical. They look at me quizzically, then realize OMG, that is my doctor!! You guys can't get sick, what are you doing here? I have been driving the past couple days. Doing ok with that. Went to Ace Hardware this morning. That really made me happy! The little things matter. Keep up the hard work and have hubby reward you with Taco Tote!
 
@icep707 Let me ask you this? Who are you trying to prove something to? What race are you trying to win? I like it when you vent. Slow and steady wins the race.. It truly does. I overdo it a lot, I know this, but I take mental notes and now I know next time NOT!

This surgery has changed me in so many ways. I Look back through this post alone and I see so much growth in me and how I believe in myself and how much it has changed.......

LOVE this place....and you all rock.:puppysmooze::puppysmooze::dancy::puppysmooze::puppysmooze:
 
I prove it to myself. As a young whippersnapper , and im not alone , Hundreds of millions of young boys , we are raised to be tough, not to cry and be macho.. Than as teenagers we prove to our friends that we are tough enough to hang. And it just goes on and on. Somewhere out theres a 90 year old man , demanding his keys back from his concerned grown children who think he should be home sleeping and should not be driving. But in his head , if he has his mental faculties. HE CAN DO IT ! Or that 100 year old japanese guy that goes fishing daily . This is how we are wired . For the good or bad . Right or wrong . With that said IM TIRED. im taking a nap ,
 
Everyone experiences pain differently and people heals differently. Slow and steady is great , especially when balanced with what feels good.
 
@icep707, spot on with your comments. Uber competitive traits run through lots of boys,men. Unfortunately, current society is moving away from that. A trophy for all, not keeping score etc. I am writing a book about all these things: the Pussification of America. My fellow knee peeps will be the first to get a copy. I hurt my knee playing aggressive 3 on 3 basketball wit the age of 52!! What a dumbass, right? But, I am a neurosurgeon because of my competitiveness. I want to be back to normal. That is what gets me down about the recovery. It takes too long!
I did get to my sons baseball game today. Sat there for 21/2 hours. They won! First game of his senior year in high school. Bittersweet! Hoping to sleep tonight. Be good my BoneSmart friends! Taco tote all around!!
 
Oh how I miss those days of bleacher sitting watching my kids play ball. Except up here in Wis. we spent most of our spring baseball season sitting under blankets and sometimes shoveling off the base lines!! Enjoy this senior year season!
 
So....day two of pt...had a young guy. He was funny. I ran the show with him. Then again my personality pretty much takes over anywhere.......This one exercise I swore I couldn't do..I sat there watching my knee...just staring and then bam..up it went.....I felt amazing. I walked into PT hurting and left feeling good and walking with almost no limp. We went and bought me an exercise bike and then to dinner where I work. It was so good to get out and see people. Again appetite is nil. I ate 4 bites and was done.

Still waiting on hearing back from my nurse. I called again today. I will be out of these nasty percs on Monday and I wanted to change medicine like 3 days ago.....I HATE when people don't return calls.
 
Yay!! I wondered all day how you did :yes!: It sure sounds like you're making excellent progress, Karringtyn. I, too, hate it when calls aren't returned - stay on them until you get your meds straightened out. I was lucky a couple of weekends ago, I was able to reach the after hours service and the on-call doc called in a refill of my Celebrex. Frankly, THAT response was far faster than if I'd actually remembered and asked my OS on a weekday.
 
Dearest Karringtyn, Look at you , going to resturants , shopping for stationary bikes and God knows what else ? Giving out Taco totes !! You need to slow down . Im soo glad you are mobile . I was worried big time about you last week . I was beginning to think we were gonna have to put you down ! Its great to hear your progression . I hope your meds get to you on time. You do know im kidding with you . I do have a new strategy and its to relax and take my time . Take care kid . You got this
 
I do have this. ALL in the attitude!!


You all help me so much!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom