Guest viewing is limited

THR Ally on the Flip Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Dr Wonderful today (my OS), he is really impressed by how well I am going. He couldn't believe it's only been 4 months. Left hip is AWESOME. No pain. I don't even think about it anymore.
He booked me in for hip no.2. The femur is starting to flatten, and I have a couple of spurs, and there is a small section of bone on bone. I'm just taking Pana osteo plus Advil 3 times a day to control the pain and it's doing the trick so far. I really hope my surgery is before I need anything stronger.
I am really excited this time around and can't wait for the operation. Unfortunately I'm on "the list" which means it will happen whenever a spot comes up within 12 months.
 
Hi Allycat What a wonderful report. You are doing very well to have reached that place we all long to be in where we hardly think about the operated hip as it doesn't give us trouble anymore.I am 2 weeks behind you and hope to be there soon as really my right hip is so much better buts its the knee on the other side is grumbling a bit. The X-rays of the other hip are ok so just hoping that will improve soon.I really hope you get a date very soon. Are you on the list for a cancellation ?
 
Allycat wow what a great report! The Forgotten Hip, you has it! At school it must be like you were never gone :) And booked on the list for the second one, I can't wait to see you back in the pre-op side, cos that will mean you've got a date:tada:
Keep on living life to the fullest!! :) :)

Kim22 my knee on the other side is grumbling but I'm hoping it's b/c the hip is also grumbling. Rather do a hip than a knee...
clifford149 hey there :) My thumbs (which I didn't know had OA) are hurting plenty now that I'm not on massive doses of NSAIDs. But the more I play my flute, the better they seem. Hoping you have a nice hobby like that... maybe frisbee throwing?? :puppysmooze: LOL Hope Sky and the training are still having fun
 
[Bonesmart.org] Ally on the Flip Side
Great update, Allycat!!! Don't you just love your "forgotten" hip. And now lining up for #2. There'll be no stopping you once that is done and becomes "forgotten", too. Don't be a stranger, keep us updated. You know we care.
 
7 months post op.

Just thought I'd do a quick pop in. Everything going great!

I did have one day when, getting out of the car I stood up and had a 'weird' pain in my operated hip. It hurt more when I started to walk and I needed pain killers. Not sure what was going on but it felt like maybe the joint was a bit 'out'. I don't know if that can happen. I had the pain for about half the day and was going to ring OS to see if I needed an xray to see what was going on. Anyway, at lunchtime I sat in the staffroom and when I stood up, the pain was completely gone, like whatever was a bit out, popped back in. I have not had the pain since. Like I said...weird.

Since then, going great guns. I go out dancing heaps. I have joined a gym and go 3 times a week. I do up to 40mins on the treadmill, 30mins on the bike and some weights. I still amaze myself when I walk up and down stairs. I go out shopping with my daughter for the whole day.

Before my surgery, I started writing a blog to record my journey through the pain, the operation and through to the other side. This morning, I read through it and had tears streaming down my face. It's so hard to believe that was me 12months ago.

Here is a snippet from my blog. This is the last post I wrote...

Today, I am 50 days on the ‘other’ side… the good side.
This time last year I could not even imagine being in this place, heck not even 100 days ago. This wonderfully, awesome pain free place. When I think about the last 12months, all the pre-op pain (read: AGONY) I lived through, then the surgery (luckily I had no complications), then post-op pain to finally arrive at this place, it’s almost like it happened to “someone else”, not really me.
I have come a long way. I like to say…

I have been to hell and back… and survived.

This particular journey is not completely over. It will take anywhere from 6 months to 18 months for me to get back to where I was before pain took over my life.
But, this part of the story is complete.
I have some living to do.

[Bonesmart.org] Ally on the Flip Side


Allycat
 
Hi Allycat. Great to hear from you and to hear you are doing so well. I'm seven months too and am great. I am back dancing and went to a dance party last night and danced for four hours, loved every minute of it. Today I only have a tiny ache, hardly noticeable. In fact it's my good leg that hurts!

Awesome report!
 
Hi Allycat great report...always good to reflect back on the changes....I bet that pain was a shock...so pleased you have recovered quickly....I have had the odd twinge otherwise fine
 
Allycat Congratulations on such an awesome report.Its great to hear that you are doing so well,getting on with a very active life and you are rid of the agony you had before your surgery.You must have been very alarmed by the pain you had on the occasion when you stepped out of the car but thank heavens there were no lasting effects What a relief.

My recovery has been up and down due to tendinitis of the the operated side as well as hip and knee pain in the other hip but "touch wood" the pain from the tendinitis has subsided again over the past few days and I have been able to do a lot more walking without after pains.I don't want to shout too loudly in case it jinxes the improvement however.

I am really happy for you and please keep us posted.
 
Before my surgery, I started writing a blog to record my journey through the pain, the operation and through to the other side. This morning, I read through it and had tears streaming down my face. It's so hard to believe that was me 12months ago.
Allycat, So nice to know that the bad is behind you....hope you don't have to wait too long for a date for the 2nd hip....Take care... Keep on dancing!
 
Not feeling so great today.
8 months of no pain to speak of, walking around without thinking about my hip at all, and it looks like I'm going to be off to the hospital today.

Last night I had to go to bed early because I have pain in my operated hip. Right in the 'joint'. Walking is painful, to the point that I want to get the crutches out. I did manage to sleep okay, although I slept on my back with my head upright. (I have an adjustable - hospital - bed) I would not have been able to sleep on my side. I had hoped that I would wake up and the pain would be gone, but it is not the case.

I have been wracking my brains to think of what I have done and the only thing I can think of is I was sitting in a chair and I bent right over to massage my aching ankle. I massaged it for probably 5 minutes or so. My hip didn't hurt or 'pop out' while I was massaging, but before - no pain - and after - pain.

So, I'm wondering, could it be dislocated? Or what else could it be? The pain is definitely in the joint. I can feel it front and back. I'm lying/ sitting in bed now and it's 'twinging'.

It's only 6am here in Australia, so I will wait in bed a little bit before going to hospital. I have to admit, I'm a bit scared.

Ally
 
Thanks Barbara,

I've just had a shower, and will take my pills with a sip of water. I am preparing myself for the worst, so nil by mouth. I have woken my son to get him ready to take me to hospital. There is definitely something 'not right'. As I walk I have enough pain to cause me to say 'OW'.
 
Hi there Aussie girl Allycat..

Symptoms of a dislocation include: Severe pain in hip to back thigh, foot/leg pointing outward, leg is weak/ severe constant pain (resting or walking).

Hopefully it Sounds like a nerve entrapment, probably within the hip, due to inflammation. Best of Luck honey, I have been wondering how you are going xxxx
 
Hi Poppet,

So... I should go to hospital? I wouldn't call the pain severe, although it's quite bad. I don't want to put that leg down and stand on it. The pain is there standing or sitting. I'm back to limping, like the good 'ol days!
 
Oh Ally, so sorry to hear about this! I think if you had dislocated the pain is such that you wouldn't be waiting for a more reasonable hour to go to the hospital. It still wouldn't hurt to get it checked out. Hopefully like Poppet said it's just a pinched nerve. Wishing you the best, hopefully you will have a better report for us later in the day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Allycat

A great amount of force is required to pop the thighbone out of its socket. A hip dislocation is very painful. Patients are unable to move the leg and, if there is nerve damage, may not have any feeling in the foot or ankle area.

Why don't you give the hospital a call if you are concerned or do you have emergency nurses units attached to the Sydney Hospital? You can usually ring through to the Ortho Ward and speak to the senior nurse on duty and get some advice :) this is what I would do to give myself some reassurance :)

A bit more information...

Hip Dislocation
A hip dislocation occurs when the head of the thighbone (femur) slips out of its socket in the hip bone (pelvis). In approximately 90% of patients, the thighbone is pushed out of its socket in a backwards direction (posterior dislocation). This leaves the hip in a fixed position, bent and twisted in toward the middle of the body. The thighbone can also slip out of its socket in a forward direction (anterior dislocation). If this occurs, the hip will be bent only slightly, and the leg will twist out and away from the middle of the body.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom