THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liveringer My husband bought me that foot washer but I am not sure if I will feel stable using it. Did you feel wobbly?
 
LeeApril26 Lenora, I did not try it after my surgery, heck I didn't even attempt a shower until like 12 days after my surgery because of the width of my tub. I myself have a woven shower mat and I create enough suds that I can run my foot back and forth and my other foot I can raise to wash it normal.
 
LeeApril26 Try a dry run with it. While your hubby is home set it on the floor and try using it to see if you are wobbly. If you are then you know not to put it in the shower with you just yet. That is what I was told when entering the shower the right way for the first time. Therapist told me to do it with my clothes on first.
 
LeeApril26, I hope you dont have an infection but if you do I hope it clears quickly
Liveringer,Peaches. I sat down on a bath board to use the "shower feet" in the early days. I put some water in the bath to cover the bottom then used some shower gel. For drying I held two ends of the towel and worked it between toes then used talc to make sure they were dry.
 
Liveringer. Good idea, will have to cut the shower mat to fit the weird foot cleaner, but if my husband does that I could try it with shoes on. I think it's the lifting my foot into it that worries me, but trying it with shoes/dressed is worth checking out. Would be nice to feel a little cleaner!
 
Lenora, I'm so sorry to hear about the infection, and that you had to go have a lab test. That's something you don't need to worry about, but hopeufully it is okay or easy to clear up. Please let us know how you are.
As for worrying, everyone here worries about the various things that come up with this surgery. That's why we are here. Some of us worry about some things more than we worry about other things, depending on our life experiences. But we all worry, and it's natural to do that. This is not a typical experience we are going through, and every surgeon has a different attitude and protocol, so of course we wonder about things.

H, Karen: NO, you did not offend me at all. I get a little self-conscious about writing too much at ME onto someone else's post. Yes, lots of employers in the U.S. in the private sector have their own views about employees returning to work. I've read many instances on this site of people whose bosses have said they really must return by such and such a date. That's just the way it is. We don't get to tell our bosses, "I'm returning on this date whether you like it or not." In my case, the surgeon actually thinks patients are generally able to go back in 3 or 4 weeks, sometimes 2. He would never insist on that under an unusual recovery period, but that's not my case. Oh, well. I will cope with it all somehow.

I have not heard of that shower thing, and cannot lift my leg over my high tub yet (PT has not approved it as my tub is very high and too oddly shaped for a shower board/chair), but will keep exploring options to make my feet sweeter.
 
Peaches, there is a picture of one on zauberflöte thread foot care after anterior THR
"]broken link removed: https://www.jmldirect.com/content/ebiz/shop/invt/s36sf60100000001/showerfeet1blue1pink_l.jpg link to JML one that I have £9.99
Barbara
 
Thanks, Barbara! Karen and Lenora, are these the shower shoes you mean? I have never seen them, but they look great! I will now try to find some.
 
Peaches. See if you can find the As Seen on TV website. It is a blue plastic largish flip fop style scrubber that you attach to the shower floor with the tape on the bottom. It has brushes lining it, so if you run water and put some liquid soap in you can scrub your foot. But, if you can't climb into your tub it won't help. Are you waiting for Staples removal?

Elosarabrab. Peaches. I am still awaiting test results but seem to be doing better. Drinking lots of,water and cranberry juice, and resting.m thanks.
 
Lenora, I sure hope you hear soon and that everything is okay. It's good you are taking it easy. I hope you found an engrossing book to read. I am happy to report I THINK I can soon shower. The PT got me to try getting my foot over the tub today in a dry run and I was scared, but it worked. But I am going to practice before I actually do a real shower. However, the end is in sight. So I may get a pair of those shower shoes to have on hand.
Please let us know how you are, okay? Take care.
 
Peaches. Great news about the shower! Yes, do please practice. A friend in France sent me a couple of mysteries by Camilla Lackberg, a Scandinavian writer. I started the first one today and it seems pretty good.
The Physician's Assistant emailed me to say that there is a slight elevation in the white blood cell count and they are waiting for the results of the culture to decide if I need antibiotics. I rested all day, and consumed enough liquids to float a boat! The symptoms seem to be subsiding. Yeah, cranberry juice.
Be careful with the tub. Keep a cane or walker close by to grab if you need it.
 
Peaches, It was the picture I wanted to show you. if you Google shower feet it should come up with where you can get one. Also Amazon do their own version.
Good luck with the shower shouldnt be long before you can enjoy a nice hot shower.
 
Welcome to your recovery. I had the dizziness as well and it was a blood pressure issue that did sort itself out in a few days.:kittykiss:
 
Peaches LeeApril26 Elosarabrab Interesting and helpful conversations that you're having on your thread here! I agree with you about the handicapped accessability in public places. I also understood the handicapped word better when my mobility became so limited pre-op. It certainly posed a number of obstacles for getting around easilly.
Peaches It's too bad about the pressure you're under to return to work. It's really unfortunate that your boss isn't more understanding. Is there a nurse at the OS office who would be able to support you and listen to your concerns if you didn't feel ready to return? Maybe the OS isn't as inflexible as he led you to believe and would give you an extension if you felt you needed it? I would think he should go by how you feel, not by how he thinks you should feel. But like the other ladies said, you still have some more recovery time, and at 6 weeks you'll be much farther along than you are now.
Hope your bladder symptoms are improving LeeApril26. Keep forcing those fluids. Smartest thing you can do for a UTI.
 
There are so many steps forward and steps backward in this healing process, just as it was pre-surgery. I know that for me, the whole process has been very humbling. My heart goes out to those who have to live daily and forever with a disability. I found even in a small city, there is a lack of provisions for the handicapped. Parking is a nightmare. Few handicap spots and still a great distance. Going to the bathroom, a great challenge.
Try to let go of your worries and focus on your healing.
 
LeeApril26 I'm finally catching up with everything that's been written since May 1!! I hope that your UTI symptoms resolve very quickly-- there is NO pain like that of a UTI, methinks.
Peaches concentrate on recovery and healing now. I do understand that your employer could write you off if you don't "perform" at 6 weeks. That's very tough to live with hovering over your head... (not over the loo...) I don't have any answers, but have a little prayer that all goes well :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom