THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if I'm putting pressure on different spots.
That's probably the case? But blisters on the arch, OW! Do Keens come in wide sizes? I have only one pair, a slide-on "sandal" that looks like a cross between an athletic shoe and a water shoe. I love them. I don't usually wear wide, but this pair, which I ordered in 3 sizes (gotta love Zappos....) turned out to fit best in the wide. Let's ask sharonslp , who just bought a pair of purple Keens, lucky girl!!

I don't know what to do about it and the nurse suggested they might cancel my next surgery if I had an infection
Yikes! I dunno, it sure sounds like athlete's foot to me-- well, what I treat with athlete's foot cream anyway. maybe I'm treating for the wrong thing and that's why it takes a month to go away every time. Cracks and peeling skin between toes, scaley red sometimes itchy spots anywhere on foot with skin peeling...ick. I hope (since I had an active infection on the other foot when I had my hip, but they never asked so I didn't tell....there were my feet in their faces after all...) that your 2nd hip will proceed regardless!
 
LeeApril26 I had the same thing happen to my feet post-op. At week 3, I developed a red, swollen 2nd toe on my non-op foot, with red pin-prick dots on the bottoms of other toes on both feet. It caused much concern by the medical community - 3 doctors couldn't figure it out. I was even sent for an abdominal ultrasound to be sure I didn't have an aortic aneuryism and some type of blood vessel leakage. I finally was sent to a vascular surgeon who said it was nothing serious, (it didn't hurt, and he said any type of occlusion - blood clot- would cause great pain.) I now believe it was simply because I was walking very clumsily and differently than normal, the first few weeks post op. I soaked my feet (still do) in a basin of warm epsom salts once or twice a day, and it went away. It took awhile, but everything cleared up. But I noticed 2 weeks ago the scaling on the bottom of that toe - I wondered about athletes foot, too, although it didn't look like it - I just tried to lotion it and it went away, too. I still soak them in epsom salts every night. So, I think it's related to our new way of walking. I was also told by both my foot doctor and my PT that I needed to buy new shoes, as the old ones are molded to my old way of walking, which was out of whack. Also, that I had to be fitted for new orthotics.

Also, there's a thread on this forum about shoes! It's in the Social Room and it's titled Great Shoe (Comfortable). Many people have posted about the new, great shoes that have worked for them. They mention Hotters, is that the one Littlejem has? And there are some links to the different sites to them. Zappos is a good on-line shoe retailer, simply because there's free postage for all shipping, to and fro, so there's no risk.

Lenora, your nerve pain sounds like it's pretty bad and troubles you alot. I'm so sorry. I hope your OS can give you some advice, and won't say those things we don't want to hear - like 'minor' or 'it'll get better' that you mentioned before! Good luck with your visit tomorrow. I hope it's good news for you.:)
 
zauberflöte ByGosh I am by no means Imelda Marcos but I do have a bunch of shoes. I have tried a new pair each day, and none of them feel good, so I will pursue the good advice you've all given. So far, I just have slight blisters under my big toe and second toe on my right foot, and a huge arch blister on the operated side. No sores or itching (yet?). It's frustrating, cause obviously I'd like to walk and exercise, but nothing feels right. It seems that Hotter does have limited selection of wide shoes, so I may try them, and I know where I can purchase Sketchers-I'd really like to try them on if I can. I feel rather sad at the thought of disposing of all my shoes, but reading of ByGosh 's medical adventures in pursuit of a diagnosis certainly is encouraging me to toss them. It sounds awful to have had to go for all those tests so soon after surgery. I assume that's what kicked off the subsequent pain?
This recovery stuff is no joke.
 
New shoes can make a huge difference. I had shin splints after my first surgery....huh? Why shin splints. Either Jamie or Jaycey mentioned trying new shoes, since the wear patterns on my trusty Keens were geared toward my pre-surgery gait. Wow....cleared that right up. No guarantees it will help, but it's worth a try.

I swear by my Keens, and I also have several pair of Brooks for longer walks. Brooks in particular for wider feet.

Sharon
 
Hi LeeApril26 - I have problem feet, wide, also. I like a pair of Nikes I bought last year... "Fusion?" or something? They are really cushy. Around the house during the day I like Teva cushy flip-flops. My other all-time favorites are wool felt clogs with cork bottoms by Stegman. The regular size is fine even for my wide foot, and the cork sole molds to my feet and they feel cushy even though they are not! (The company website tells where they can be bought.)
zauberflöte, you're kidding!! I have a purple pair of those Keens! Or a pair of those purple Keens! I bought them partway through last summer and didn't wear them too much. Maybe they'll still be good! (I found they made my feet hot if I wore them barefoot!)
ByGosh, wow! - you really have had an "interesting" time of it...>! But thanks for the Dr.s comments in relation to shoes. I thought it was my imagination that things fit differently!
I have a new callous on my right (non op!) big toe since the surgery! And I have some kind of peeling-thing going on the bottom of my left foot. "just a hip," right? affects the whole body....
 
sharonslp Songlady. Well, last week I ordered a pair of Orthoheel sandals that are supposed to be comfy, and will add Brooks, Stegman and Nike Fusion to the list. I tried Tevas several years ago and for some reason they hurt my knees. I've never seen Keens in a store, but may have just missed them. It seems clear that I'm not alone in post surgical foot Issues. Now all I have to do is get to a store and try some on. I'm reluctant to order a pile of shoes online just to try on as my poor husband is the person who will have to wait on the Post Office line.
 
LeeApril26, I have found Keens in sports stores. My older son had recommended Brooks to me, on the advice of a friend on the college track team. I bought a pair, but found that they hurt if I wore them too long. Maybe they'll be better now! :spin:
 
LeeApril26 Blisters can get so sore, can't they? The vascular surgeon gave me a box of lambs wool for the toes, and I use it to pad where they rub against each othe,r with a bandaid to keep it in place. It works so well, I was surprised I hadn't thought of it earlier. I was going through 2x2 gauze pads by the dozen! I remember many of my 'older' patients would use lambs wool, back in the day when I was a Visiting Nurse. I haven't seen it since I went to school nursing - the kiddies just don't seem to have bunions! :) I wonder if that would help where your toes are rubbing? I've also substituted a little piece of a cotton ball.
Songlady Sharonslp is the one who talked about wanting purple Keens and now she finally got herself a pair. I also have an old old pair of black slip on ones that my daughter wore all during her 5th grade year (she's a senior now) that I took over because they were broken in perfectly for my bunions, and still wore til surgery. (and slip them on now and then for a quick drive - I'm not really walking much yet.) I swear by Keens, they're very well-made and lasting. But because of that, the leather is so thick, they can be hot.
 
ByGosh I think lambswool would at least cushion the sore spots until I find some shoes. Thanks for the idea. I've been using bandaids, but they aren't very thick. Maybe the kids have better feet because they didn't stuff their toes into spike heel in their youth like I did. I outgrew it pretty quickly, but my little toes were never the same. Tomorrow I have the OS appointment, so no shoe shopping, but there are lots of malls and shops on the way to the country, so I will shop.
Songlady One of the reasons I have a bunch of shoes is because shoes that feel good in the store often don't continue to do so. And, I continue to hope they will eventually feel okay.
 
LeeApril26: I was getting ready to write you about shoes and other stuff when I noticed Maggie Smith is being interviewed on "60 Minutes," and got distracted. Did you see that ensemble movie she was in last summer, with the lengthy name that included the word "Marigolds," about all of these senior citizens who ended up at some hotel in India for a variety of reasons. Hers was that she needed a THR, so when I heard that, I high-tailed it to the movie theater. I liked it, but unfortunately, didn't learn what I'd hoped about the surgery. LOL. What an idiot I was. Good movie, though. I'm going to check out the few pairs of shoes I have that I feel safe wearing and will give you a report a little later.
(Yikes! Steve Kroft's "narration" during the interview just said Maggie suffers from a creaky or cranky (didn't catch the word) HIP.)

When is your checkup tomorrow???
 
Peaches I also saw that movie and really liked it. The name of it was The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Wasn't Dame Judi Dench in that, too? I adore her, and Maggie Smith. Do you have Redbox in NYC or Brooklyn? It's great for only $1 to rent a video. Since my hip surgery, I've subscribed to Netflix on-line, which is fairly good. They have some good documentaries. Sorry, I didn't mean to butt in ladies. :) How are doing today Peaches?
 
LeeApril26, yup, that's why I have a bunch of shoes also!! lol Let's hope lots of them feel better in the future!
Peaches: I read the book. Um, gosh, the name....The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
I love her and would like to see the even newer film, Quartet.
 
Hi, ByGosh: I just edited my post. Poor Maggie has a hip problem, it would seem. I'll rent the movie to rewatch it. I actually thought it was going to go into detail about someone recovering from a THR and I would learn something. As you recall, that wasn't the case. I'm trying to multitask, so will have to come back and post more. As usual, I will try to make it less wordy but will probably not succeed. I am on a good streak. Am pinching myself. I sure hope you had some AC relief this weekend!! I will keep posting this evening. I want to know how you are and if you had a chance to play in the water some more. It sounds like such a nice thing for you to do. You have been on my mind.... :)
 
Hi, Songlady: I didn't realize it was a book. Must read it. Loved the movie. Saw it during a heat wave and became obsessed with the women's clothes in the movie and wanted my entire wardrobe to be gauzy, cool tunics and floaty pants. Am actually wearing an India-ish tunic right now that I bought at a streetfair for $10. I also wanted my hair to look as good as Judi Dench's, but alas that will never happen! How are you? Did you have a nice pedalin' morning today?
 
Hi Peaches - I need to see the movie! I love all those gauzy clothes. (I've bought a few things at street fairs also!!)
I borrowed an e-reader from my local library last fall just to try it, and that was one of the books that came pre-loaded on it, so I read it!
I had a good pedalin' morning, thanks! The left leg is doing better and better, though Songman said he heard a few of the "one note too low" boo-boos because I'd mentioned those to him, so he was listening for them! (What happens when your feet play in a different key than your hands......? lol)
People were happy to see me, which was so nice! Thanks for asking!
 
Peaches Oh, thanks for the info on poor Maggie's hip. I wonder if it's arthritis? Probably. She looks quite old, I'll have to Google her for more info. Songlady Quartet...I don't remember hearing about that movie. That's another Google item. Gee, I have some homework here.
Peaches thank you for thinking of me. I think of you ladies often. Unfortunately, my improvement was either short-lived, or today was an off day. I had pretty bad pain this afternoon. :sad: Maybe I went to the pool too much? Who knows? Perhaps every other day would be better than going on consecutive ones. That's why I hesitate to report an improvement, because one never knows how long it'll last. But tomorrow is another day, and it will be better, I hope.
How are you today@Peaches and everyone? I'm not yet throwing out my old shoes, because I'm not really walking much yet. But you ladies who live in the city, on the other hand, walk alot. It was interesting to have LeeApril26 explain the different block distances. That's very good to know for measuring your distance whenever you do an errand, or just go for a stroll. I used to wear a pedometer to work at the hospital years and years ago, and I clocked 3 miles one night. My job at the time was one where I went from unit to unit as needed to start IVs. I knew I walked alot, but I had no idea. I used to love walking so much, and sure miss it now. TTYL
 
ByGosh...hang in there...I feel your pain...this whole recovery and healing is one step forward another backward. I too, have good days, so move forward on the activity, then BAM...what happened, it is like pre-surgical pain. The best thing is this forum and the support and the understanding, because everyone here, has been through it. On the outside, we look healed, but we are not. My niece has her graduation next Sunday. I am not attending. I cannot sit for three hours. I do not feel comfortable being around crowds of people, yet my Mother was making me feel like I should go, because they have handicap provisions...that is for parking...she will be dropped off, it is not for 4 weeks post recovery, sitting for a long period of time, and walking for quite a distance. Listen to your body and follow what it is telling you. I learned the hard way last week, when I pushed my limits and hit the wall, and spent two days in terrible pain and unable to walk without crutches.
 
ByGosh, I think it's ok to post even temporary advances, because eventually we will be able to look back and see patterns, even if they are "one baby step forward, 1/2 baby step back" or whatever. Having re-read my old posts, it's the long view we need (I say that respecting the fact that you have something a little extra going on here!) I was COMPLETELY blindsided, last time, by the enormity of the recuperation. I got pretty depressed by that. I was a bit wiser this time!
But you reminded me! I had a pedometer 3 years ago, and the battery had run down, so I ought to replace the battery and use it some! Thanks!!! :thankyou: The church building where I work is so large, I helped host a concert by a visiting group one and wore the pedometer and found I'd walked 2.5 miles in the church by the end of the event! And hospitals are that much bigger, for sure!
It's too bad Quartet isn't in theaters anymore, we could meet up and go together! lol
Ya know, I'm no pro, but my instinct would say that the pool every other day would be better for now. Are there any other things you could do in between, even the isometric, muscle-tensing exercises (those are isometrics, right?) It seems to me that you are, if not an Overachiever, an Achiever, and to heal this thing, whatever exactly it is, my hunch is that you need to be really low key, and I am thinking that this is really, really difficult for you. I feel for you! :friends: But you WILL get there, and a year or so from now, I bet all this will start to seem insignificant in terms of how good life will be! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom