OP
OP
A

ahipgma

graduate
Country
United States United States
Thanks @Layla
incrementally a little better every day! Sometimes a little impatient but my journey actually is about a 3 year one with the pain and mobility issues etc,
Not using the cane much and walking straighter that I have in years, both hips far from normal but a lot less pain if that makes any sense? I'm looking forward to improvement and most important to me, I feel I made the right decision and no regrets, to have it done. Very very glad no more surgeries!:yes:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Boy, ain't that the truth, @ahipgma?! The fact that my most recent hip surgery is my LAST hip surgery is something I try to remember when I'm feeling particularly grouchy and stiff in the morning. Sure, I'm feeling stiff and achy still but I know this too shall pass and sometime in 2020 it will all, I earnestly hope, be a distant and unpleasant memory. Hope you had a great weekend.

OP
OP
A

ahipgma

graduate
Country
Exactly where I'm at @Barbaraj. I am taking my NSAID in the AM, tylenol mid day and still a little Tramadol at night (I break a 50 mg in half, but trying to go off that this coming week.) i probably will always take an NSAID because I have so much arthritis elsewhere, but probably back on my meloxicam once a day with a little tylenol sprinkled in as needed. Right before my 1st surgery my pain was waking me 2-4 times per night, loaded up on as much medication as possible. The stiffness and the soreness can last up to a year to some degree as healing continues and moves that I haven't done in years tax my muscles a little ---but all in all I'm a happy camper!!!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good to hear you're feeling a bit better each day. Three years is a long time to suffer with arthritic pain.
It's miserable as we all know. At not even five months out from your first THR I can understand why you mentioned both hips are far from normal. But each week will bring more healing, strength and increased energy. I'll bet you'll be feeling great by the holidays and even better moving into the new year.
You're doing great. Keep it up and have a wonderful Monday!
@ahipgma

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Here's to happy camping, @ahipgma! We can't force recovery but it helps to look back at how wretched we were before and have faith that slowly but surely we are moving ahead. I have arthritis in my lower back as well, so part of my focus in PT is really getting my core and lower body functioning well so I can move more smoothly. Yup, I am a little old lady (okay, maybe not so little...) but I need to keep pushing ahead just like the youngsters. I think we'll always have some stiffness and soreness, particularly first thing in the morning, but getting ourselves more strong and flexible should help with that, I'm convinced. Happy Monday!

Calgal

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Congratulations on your retirement @ahipgma! At almost a year out I can't even begin to imagine the workday drudgery...commuting, politics, etc. I actually had a nightmare last night about my previous teaching position. It was very stressful for very little remuneration. I do miss my ex students sometimes but not the stress. Even though I've spent almost all of my first year of retirement dealing with health issues, it's now behind me and I can't wait to start doing all the creative things I've been wanting to do for a long time. It's definitely an adjustment but I think you'll enjoy your new free time. :happydance:

OP
OP
A

ahipgma

graduate
Country
I hear you @Calgal--- my last day of work was on a monday with my surgery the following Wednesday. My boss was kind enough to hold my position for me but I told her frankly I was considering retiring. I dont know anything about real retirement, just surgeries and healing from surgeries! But it's coming! When I think of all the changes and events in the last 5ish months, its amazing to me.
I started working at 16 so it's been a long time since I was unemployed. Just taking it day by day. I can't even comprehend a pain free retirement though I have every hope I'll get there. Never had a surgery till May 1! Do miss my colleagues but not the stress, just as you said. Teaching and nursing sure can put you in some situations that test your poise and good nature and can give you a great big headache in the process. So.....:yes!: for retirement!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @ahipgma
I can't even comprehend a pain free retirement though I have every hope I'll get there.
Hard to imagine now, but now that I am this far out, it is exactly what I see for you.
Back to life with two great hips!!!
You deserve it.

Never had a surgery till May 1!
Me either.
We share this hipversary...in hindsight...it was a Very Good Day:happydance:

OP
OP
A

ahipgma

graduate
Country
Hi all,
5 weeks out today and had my appointment with my new PT. I had quit the other after 2 outpatient sessions because they hurt me.
The new one is like night and day! 2 HOURS my first session was. Thorough assessment, answered lots of questions, friendly, capable. Says NO PAIN should ever be induced to a post op hip in PT.
Pretty much what you hear all the time here but this person now knows me personally and will be guiding me the correct way to get the very most mobility out of both hips. I would tell any one after hearing an extremely knowledgeable and reasonable therapist is do your homework when finding one. My home PT recommended this one-- saw nothing but 5 out of 5 reviews on line for their group and last time I just migrated to the group associated with my surgeons because they were in the same building.
As a health professional I should have known better.
He told me one thing I kind of knew but found interesting. He said no over doing it or rushing it will make it happen any faster. Healing will progress at it's own pace. He said about a year to completely heal, and if you hit the ODIC dial it back activity wise not jack up the pain meds to compensate. And he is a huge huge proponent of ICE, for months if necessary.
I am jazzed now! I am so glad I found a great PT!

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Wow, @ahipgma, you have truly hit the "mother lode" when it comes to therapists! This guy sounds like he really knows what he's doing and I think working cooperatively with him will help you slowly but surely find your way back to a new you in 2020 with your two fabulous hips! I got the same speech from my PT yesterday: that overdoing things will NOT make recovery go more quickly or smoothly. This is something I really know but am guilty periodically of ignoring in my daily life. I hope you are far more sensible than me. Happy hump day!

OP
OP
A

ahipgma

graduate
Country
Well,@Barbaraj how can we be on the straight and narrow every minute of every day, we're beings in motion and we sometimes inadvertently overdo. But I wanted someone who knew how all the muscles work in synergy and what symptoms you may have means in terms of why it is happening. PTs in training all need to have their doctorate now and I understand why after talking to him.
After all we have been through we just want the most out of our new hips and do it progressively and safely. Excited that we're at this stage!

OP
OP
A

ahipgma

graduate
Country
Oh yes and he even taught me about scar tissue massage--- I'm a posterior both sides and a side sleeper--hoping that it will make it easier for me to side sleep pain free eventually-- but only massage my 5 months out side for now till my surgeon clears me for the 5 week out side.
This guy covers all the bases!!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Says NO PAIN should ever be induced to a post op hip in PT.
I had a horrible PT experience also one week out from BTHR, and this is so good to hear.
He said no over doing it or rushing it will make it happen any faster. Healing will progress at it's own pace. He said about a year to completely heal, and if you hit the ODIC dial it back activity wise not jack up the pain meds to compensate. And he is a huge huge proponent of ICE, for months if necessary.
I am jazzed now! I am so glad I found a great PT!
I am so glad too.:happydance:
Slow mindful recovery will get you right where you need to be.
Onward and upward, friend.:egypdance:

Calgal

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Jackpot!! You've landed a good one, @ahipgma !! Im so happy you are in good PT hands. I've been so fortunate with all of mine right from the start in hospital, but many others have had to suffer through some well meaning but decidedly ill trained so-called therapists! :tantrum:. I'm confident that you'll be progressing steadily and safely. We've got a lot more months of more good things to come. And that's a nice thought, isn't it? :yes!:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jan77
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom