Guest viewing is limited

THR Ahipgma recovery

I can't add anything more than our very astute and eloquent @ChrissyW ! What fabulous visualisation which surely must bring a smile to our @ahipgma :).

@ahipgma sending my hugs and prayers that you find a peaceful place in your body mind and spirit very soon, so you can proceed with this second recovery and a sunny future. :angel:
 
Your post made me cry. Happy tears that is. I took only my tylenol and Celebrex as prescribed by my OS. No tramadol, no laying there all day, no icing, but I made my bed, did a little puttering in the kitchen and yes rested some but it was outside on the deck in the fresh air.
My leg feels better! I think I finally turned the corner a bit, not that there wont be setbacks we all know I wont be that lucky, and I think it was those first days of being good and doing all the right things that brought me to this point. Thank you so so much for your cheery support and pom pom shaking, and just like that jumble of grabbers and pool boys and designer clothes we talked about on our "trips" your visualizations lifted my heart.
So I am on a good path and while I could definitely be giggling with Ari I may skip the pole dancing, and am readying my pompoms, one on a grabber and one on my cane to shake them for @Mayhip8! We've got one more surgery to go. Thank you, my friend from the bottom of my heart!!! :wave::loveshwr:
 
@ahipgma it sounds like you're starting to feel a bit better, all around. So happy to hear, this has to be a tough road and you amaze me for being brave enough to travel it. You'll be running and giggling with Ari before you know it!
:friends:
 
@ahipgma you sound better already! I understand completely.. re: medications. I'm sure you've seen everything and know what to avoid for yourself.
But your last update sounded hopeful and maybe you've turned that corner with smooth sailing ahead! :kayak:
 
Good morning, @ahipgma It sounds like a few things to look forward to at the end of the week--daughters' visit, haircut and color, return to church on Sunday. These little things can loom large for a recovering hipster, and I'm glad to read that you are anticipating these "treats". I agree with you that I felt that narcotics have mental side effects that can be unpleasant. I don't know that I ever felt depressed but definitely fuzzy-headed and slow, this grand sluggishness that was pervasive and unpleasant. But post-op blues can hit even if you're not taking drugs. I think all of us at some point(s) in recovery felt gloomy and discouraged at times, feeling as if the recovery was taking forever and doubting whether we'd ever get back to our "real" selves again. But you will. I think, now that the first two awful weeks are over, that I'm far more positive with this second hip recovery because I KNOW, having gone through this once, that I will get better, with strong, fully functioning hips, and life is going to be good. Hang in there--straighten up those shoulders, tilt that nose up and believe in yourself. 2020 will be grand!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement @Barbaraj. The two hips close together thing affected me more than I thought, mentally much more than physically, though recovering with two hips done is better from a gait perspective because no matter how I tried with 1 bum hip left I couldn't quite walk straight and tall the way I wanted. This time much better.
I rebelled yesterday and paid for it last night but it taught me a lot about going forward, balancing activity and rest.
I guess I started about 3 years ago with the arthritis, it started limiting my life,
Then the decisions about surgery, knowing I'd need two, then having the two, I'm almost afraid to believe that I really will be able to put it behind me and live my life. My husband printed our itinerary for our trip to Italy next April and showed it to me. He's so happy and excited, I hope and pray I'll be able to travel and enjoy. We cancelled and rearranged the whole trip because of my surgeries as a matter of fact we'd have left this Sunday. So cautiously hopeful!
Looking forward to this weekend and hoping your side of the country has the lovely weather we've been having!
Have a great day!
 
You'll get there for sure with bells on your toes and I'm so jealous I want to hitch a ride in your suitcase! I actually left the USA with every intention of moving to Italy, but I fell in love with an Englishman and as they say the rest is history!! Keep thinking of la dolce vita next year in romantic Italy. You deserve it!!!:flwrysmile:
 
@ahipgma I sometimes wish I had just had mine bi laterally or closer together. The upheaval almost 4 years apart feels like it's taking a big chunk out of my life. But! We can't think that way.. The surgeries actually are giving us a big chunk of our lives back!
The only discomfort I have at this time is that tightness and soreness stemming from soft tissue and that is loads better in my opinion.. Hopefully you are over the worst and mentally you get perked up and rarin' to go in a few weeks, then we will be telling you to s-l-o--o-o-w down! :flwrysmile:
Your trip to Italy will be wonderful- April sounds very reasonable for you!
 
To think I was just on the table 2 weeks ago right now, it really is a miracle. Who knows what the best timing is. I was really scared this last time because the memory of recovery was all too clear and my mind kept saying " do you really have to start all over, do you?? Of course I did
because both hips were bad. April should be fine. My OS is just as glad because he said farther out is better for long plane trips because of chance of blood clots. Of course he and my hub are both all Italian so Italy is a noble goal for them.
I love to eat and shop so it's a great goal for me too!!:yes:
 
Last edited:
Yes, @ChrissyW, never had a bad meal there, my hubs side of the family were real eye openers for me when we got involved then married, ( we are stoic Germans) our itinerary is Venice->Florence->Positano-> Assissi->Rome.
14 days.
 
Rome is amazing, I love standing in the centre of st Peters square and turning a full circle. Also my favourite statue ever is in the Vatican, la pieta, it makes me cry. Hopefully we'll still be in touch and you can let me have a vicarious Rome visit through you, though my hubby wants to go to Rome at some point. If you are going in April will you be there for Easter ( not sure when it is next year)?
 
@ahipgma My sister's husband is full Italian and they are also planning a trip to Italy.
Well back to the hip, I'm 14 weeks out and can't even imagine having my second hip done right now, (it's ok yet), but I don't feel confident that my OP leg would be ready for the task of fully supporting the other, so in my opinion you are doing fantastic!!! ♥️
 
I have been to Rome @ChrissyW , very interesting. We werent there very long not long enough to absorb the full flavor. We promised ourselves if we went back to Europe it would be just to one country, we went to Italy France and Austria in just 12 days in '89-- too much time spent traveling.
As for my 2 hips @Cecropia, one was as bad as the other, and it made sense to do them both in the same year because to start all over with coinsurance and copays in 2020 would be almost the cost of the trip to Italy!!! Its just that my spirits were battered having to go thru it twice so close together. Hip #1 was my first surgery ever and boy did I get an eye opener being on the patient side. Gave me a whole new respect for my 40 years worth of patients, God bless them. My first hip is a little sore, having to be the "good hip" now !
 
Good morning to all! @Mayhip8 @ChrissyW and @Calgal
Here on my own thread today for the heck of it because today is two week check! woohoo! Aquacel off and steristrips on. Not to knock the Aquacel because you can shower with it from day one.
Hope all are well today, our 2 happy working gals and 2 retired ones.....
I am determined to clean my kitchen and bathroom today. Already baked a cake. Chrissy you should be glad we live a pond away because I love to bake and would be plying you with goodies.
In honor of my daughter running a half marathon in Minnesota this weekend I am going to try and be conscious of my gait and walk nice and upright with my cane. I have been trying to figure out my next PT move, have one more home visit and my guy recommended a good group he knows for outpatient. Think I will wait till after my 6 week check then start PT.
Will be interested to hear your take on double hippyhood @Mayhip8 it is interesting for sure. Old righty is feeling stronger and truthfully to have 2 repaired eliminates a pain that we all know well here! Excited to fall dec my house, and plant some fall mums outside. My little flower is visiting tonight. Yay Ari!
 
Sound like you're doing great this morning, @ahipgma! I love and can appreciate the determination to focus on your gait, and all those good housekeeping chores--you sound very motivated this morning to get up and get out! I baked yesterday, too, but was sensible this time and only made a half batch of shortbread. Both my husband and I love it's buttery crisp texture, with a hint of vanilla.

You, like me and perhaps others who are going through hip replacement #2, have such a sound of relief in their postings, getting this LAST one over and done with and then real living can really kick into high gear. You can start planning all the things that you've wanted to do for awhile but were held back on due to failing hips. No more! This is it, we're pushing forward and I bet all your house projects, indoor decorating and fall plantings, will be very satisfying to complete. And good luck on the PT decision--I'm itching to start back with my first appointment next week. Cheers, and have a great day!
 
Hello my lovely. Just passing through to see what you were up to with the family being around. Did you do the baking you planned and are you resting those legs? Anyway I just wanted to say hi and nosey at your posts
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom