Guest viewing is limited

THR Ahipgma recovery

Excited to fall dec my house, and plant some fall mums outside.
I soooo miss all the fall porch decorations in the US! The corn stalks, the pumpkins, dried Indian corn on the door, all of it! :roseshwr:. I even grew my own Indian corn one year just to have some, but it was really puny. We were the only house on the street doing over the top Halloween decs for a long time. Now that is getting more popular here in UK, but because we don't have Thanksgiving here the whole autumn thing gets missed and folks go straight to Christmas. Sad. Oh well I can be a rebel and enjoy my autumn leaves wreath, maybe even start a trend! :heehee:
 
Hey your home is your castle, @Calgal
Funny thing is the craft stores sell so many wreaths and silk swags made of leaves and in a neighborhood like mine all you do for months is rake the real thing. I have a floor to ceiling picture window in my little house that the trees turn about 20-30 feet in front of it- the colors are beautiful. My fave season of all!
Also I got my big rubbery dressing off at the OS today and saw my incision--- not bad!!!
Got permission to drive as long as I am comfortable with the cane and am off heavy narcotics. What a great day!
Now we just have to get @Mayhip8 over it, @ChrissyW and we will be home free!
 
Ohhhhhhh @ahipgma - i've just caught up and seen you've had a rough few days earlier on in the week. I'm pleased that things are feeling better now and you seem to be more positive. I still can't believe you're doing so much so soon! I think you're amazing. !
I remember I joined this forum at 12 days and recall that the first inkling that I was interested in progressing was the day I joined -previous to that I think I was quite insulated and like a wounded dog lay quietly licking my wounds.
I've been thinking of you and I'm sending you healing hugs and remember you are really quite soon into the second recovery in addition to continuing with your first recovery.
Go easy on all that cleaning and housework! But baking cakes? That's a fab idea xxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Thinking of that picture of the recovery path, you know the winding, twisty one?
Going on three weeks, still trying to find a balance.
Yesterday I had to go back to Oxy at night because Lefty just required it, and my poor 4 month old Righty is whining now too. The PA at the OS office said apologetically sometimes your best day is followed by your worst day. Well that was yesterday! But hoping for a better day today. 17 days out I shouldn't expect a triathalon. Going to get my hair cut and colored today so I'll continue to be an elderly brunette:heehee:. And I might just get myself behind the wheel and motor ten miles down the road to visit my mom.
What will I ever do without her? From putting bandaids on my booboos to sympathizing about my hip replacements
I have been blessed 63 years over to have her!!!
Got my fall decorations out but havent had the wherewithal to put them up.
This is the best of both worlds in Pennsylvania, where we're still getting some summer produce but fall stuff is starting to happen too:flwrysmile:.
Happy weekend!!
 
Do you mean this one @ahipgma ?
[Bonesmart.org] Ahipgma recovery
 
Good morning, @ahipgma, that's wonderful that you've been released to drive again--a big step towards independence, isn't it? You are so lucky to have your mother still around. I lost mine at the same age as you are, but she'd sadly faded away for so many years before that with a variety of health problems that her passing, while we grieved, was a release of sorts from a very reduced and sad life at the end. So, enjoy your mama! Sorry your hip was acting up so badly to require medication, but some days are like that--go easy on yourself, it's just part of the crazy process of recovery. You're doing so well overall--hang in there!
 
Last edited:
Good afternoon back, @Barbaraj !
My mornings have been bad pain wise just everywhere so my husband suggested the recliner and slept in it overnight, and wow! It really helped! I am a side and stomach sleeper so the constant back almost made me panic at times and I'm too chicken to try side sleeping yet, technically my OS doesnt allow it for 6 weeks. For some reason sleeping between reclining and sitting up really helps!!!
I have arthritis everywhere, nothing bad but that morning stiffness was so exacerbated by laying stock still in one position all night.
So getting up in the morning was so depressing till I limbered up-but today I showered, put makeup on and went to church-- not looking like sludge is always a shot in the arm
and yes, my crazy but still sharp as a tack mom is one of my greatest blessings, having dealt with hundreds of families whose mom was there in body still but not in mind, a different type of mourning for sure. My daughter has told my mom that she has learned indirectly how to mother her little girl well through my mom down to me down to her. It doesnt get any better than than that.
Trying to scale back on the type and amount of pain meds today. My home PT guy said many of his THR patients are told by their OS the only exercise they need is walking. Well what do you know ? Started walking yesterday and am going to try to do it for longer every day on my twisty path!
 
@ahipgma that is awesome news about sleeping in the reclinet, we'll take sleep any way we can! We don't have recliners but I slept on the couch a few nights in the beginning. Was a little easier, could pull my knees up and rest them against the back of the couch. Whatever it takes. I'm slowly getting to where I can sleep on both sides for a little bit, getting there!

What an awesome testament to the love your family has by your daughters comments on mothering. So very sweet. Have a great Sunday, sounds like you're off to a good start!
:flwrysmile:
 
I slept in a recliner for three weeks simply because I was afraid to attempt the bed. Silly, I know. But I actually slept comfortably on my back in the recliner and what helped for me was soft pillows stuffed in the sides between me and the chair. Not only was it squishy and comforting but I realized after wedging myself in like that why babies take comfort in swaddling. So I was babying and swaddling my 60 yr old self...and I was comfy.

I found showering and applying a little make-up to be a pick me up from early on too. Good for you making it to church, I'll bet you felt fullfilled afterward, even if exhausted.

Wishing you comfort and a wonderful week with many walks on your twisty path! :wink:
@ahipgma
 
Thanks @Layla-- the recliner has become my friend! I remember with first hip the first time I got to be a side sleeper again I slept like the dead for 5 hrs straight because that's just the position my body has liked my whole life. Any and all decent sleep welcomed at this stage!:yawn: :sleep:
 
So sweet what your daughter said about how leading by example, mother to daughter and down to next daughter, @ahipgma. And chuckled at your comment that slapping on a bit of make-up boosts your spirits. I think for many of us that's important and a boost to our mood. I am sure nobody at your church probably would have noticed but it made YOU feel good, so that's the key. I am even crazy enough to put it on going to the gym--all those spandex'ed youngsters pounding away intimidate me and, by gosh, a little mascara does wonders! I, too, have arthritis in my lower back according to my x-rays, so going to PT to really working on strengthening my core and other lower body muscles will be key to helping keep the worst of it at bay. Hope you were able to limber up this morning when you got out of bed/recliner and are feeling pretty good by now! Get out there for a walk today.
 
Felt pretty good at this AM, @Barbaraj.
We joined a nice gym about 10 years ago, it's got everything and classes in Land Arthritis and water exercises, indoor and outdoor pool, and I think you're the one who enjoys the elliptical. I love it and my PT said it's a good machine for us hipsters.
I was starting to do some ab and arm machines before my second surgery, too.
Just like your back and core, any other body parts you strengthen overall would be good for the hip support. I give our generation credit for our gym work! And we know from lip gloss, going back to Yardley pot o gloss...
 
@ahipgma I, too, am a habitual side sleeper. Before surgery, I would try to fall asleep on my back in bed, eventually give up in frustration, roll over onto my preferred side, and embrace the body pillow. Then I would drop like a rock, waking hours later, and realize I hadn’t moved an inch. The sleep was more than worth the morning stiffness to me! But I wasn’t optimistic that I could sleep on my back in bed after weeks of trying, so I decided to sleep on the recliner instead. Who knew it would work like a charm? I am so glad your husband suggested you try it, and that you are a successful recliner-back sleeper, too! I will be back in bed, as soon as I can side sleep, for sure, but this is working really well for me for now.
 
And that good rest is so important, and getting up is an ordeal at first then all of a sudden you think " hey that wasnt so bad!", a while out from surgery ( both times for me it was the 2-2 1/2 week mark, all that faithful resting icing and elevating starts to pay off with more comfortable movement!
 
And we know from lip gloss, going back to Yardley pot o gloss.

Yes, we do, @ahipgma! Nice to get confirmation from you that the elliptical is a good, full body workout and your therapist agrees. I was using a stair climber machine for years, both at the gym and at home and now I regret it as I read somewhere--groan--that it isn't great for hips. Love the elliptical, however, and can plug in music on my phone and open my kindle on the reading rack and the time just flies by. Need at some point to do something for completely flabby and out of shape upper body. But, for now, concentrating on getting these hips/thighs/glutes back in line.
 
Trip to Walmart was enough exercise for the day! Mom and I went to lunch then shopped just meandered along. Talked and had a great time
Still trying to put up fall dec, though here today the high was 86!
Significantly less pain these past few days.
Glad I'm waiting for my 6 week clearance then PT and the gym!
 
Hey, shopping always counts as exercise, @ahipgma, so glad to read you and your mom got out for lunch, shopping and good chat--always a pleasant way to spend time. Yay for less pain the last few days, and here's hoping you get the "all clear" at your six week check-in. Let the healing continue!
 
Good afternoon and a Happy Saturday to you!
Stopping by to say :hi: and wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary with Lefty.
I hope you've had a good week. Wondering how your recovery is going overall since you're recovering from not only one, but two THR's? Hopefully each Hip is doing well and you're breathing a big sigh of relief to have both surgeries behind you and you're excited to get on with the business of living. :yes!:
Wishing you only the best and a great weekend to enjoy! :SUNsmile:
@ahipgma
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom