Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Against the wind

I received my test results from the cultures when my knee was drained last week. All negative, white count test was an "80".
So I'm back in the "decide" situation. Live with a sore knee and swelling each time a do a bit too much after 12 months of recovery? + 6 weeks of rest, ice elevate with minimal daily activity. Or roll the dice and go the revision route? This would be the 5th surgery in the last 3 years. I've been in rehab mode essentially the entire period. I have gone downhill over that time. The lack of success of the RTKR June 2016 has been the killer as far as getting back active. A constant sore/swollen knee got me to reorganize everything I do based on "my knee." Kept holding out hope that it would heal. After 6 weeks of total rest now I find myself thinking I should start working out and really pushing my knee again and see if can handle a heavier level of activity? It's like a fight between what my knee tells me and what I tell myself; "that I should try harder"? Logic tells me that this knee will not get better. That it actually could get worse? Constant irritation and fluid buildup in the knee would make it ripe for infection? Maybe I've been very lucky this whole time that it didn't get infected?! The infection/revision path is a very tough road. I empathise with all that are on that path. Anyway, I feel like I've got to give it one more roll of the dice to see if I can get good outcome with the revision. I'm not ready to accept a sedentary lifestyle.
I have one more "2nd opinion" in 10 days. I'm going to start scheduling "clearance" exams from my GP and Cardiologist. Would love to just dive in and get surgery tomorrow. Just want to get it over and start on a a recovery path again. But I need one last opinion. Thanks to all at bonesmart and all fellow knee people!!!
 
Thanks! I really need to think about my rehab and PT etc. + pain mgmt. The surgery last June '16 it was all off from the beginning. Over aggressive PT, doing to much the 1st 6 weeks, Dr. Office trying to ween me off Percocet after a week and go to tramadol. Tramadol did not work for me. So I was in more pain the 1st 6 weeks. Constantly trying to stretch out how often I took pain meds because I was afraid they wouldn't give me another scrip. I did not have that problem 2 years ago with left knee. My medication routine was much better.
I don't think any of that caused the poor result I got. Just added to the pain and suffering.
 
All tests have been negative so far regarding possible infection. I've reserved a date of August 14 for revision surgery. This is with my 1st "2nd opinion" surgeon. I wanted to get on his calendar. My next "2nd opinion" is Tuesday. This is the partner of my original surgeon. I'm starting to mentally preparing for another go around to see if I can get a better outcome. I feel like I'm up on the high dive board again. You finally just stare down at the water and go.
 
I agree. This Dr. has a great reputation ..... but .... I also have another Dr. lined up for opinion if I get conflicting opinions.
 
Skippy, I have just finished reading your thread. It does sound as if the part wasn't installed correctly and the only cure is a re-install. Good luck with whatever you decided. it plain ol' :censored: when the most successful surgery on the planet decides not to work for you!
 
Thanks for your comments. I've come to believe in "not installed properly".
I'm not in any significant pain; but a sedentary lifestyle is the tradeoff for a "minimal" pain situation.
I keep track of my daily steps. 2014 my average daily step count was around 15000 per day, in 2016 before my RTKR I was down to about 5000. That's all the knee would handle and the 5000 needed to be on fairly flat ground. So hiking was done for the time being. I was able to golf but had to minimize how much walking I did during the round. Now post RTKR I'm at 3500 average. 3500 is just basic household activities and a trip to the grocery store. Golf is not been possible the last 4 months.
If I can get this leg to heal up I think I can resume a fairly active life. I think I can walk my way back into shape once the leg heals. In fact my dream is to be able to walk my way back to health.
 
Securing a date on a surgeons calendar for a revision really changes my focus. Wave of doubt if I'm making a good decision. What if I just took it easy, like I've been, for 2 or 3 more months and somehow it will heal up 100%? If I understand correctly what's wrong with my knee then thinking that it could heal 100% and work effectively is probably total fantasy. The way the appliance is attached to my femur will not allow the leg to ever straighten. So my leg never extends properly when I walk. It catches and that's what gets it sore and swollen when I start becoming active. But if all that's wrong!
 
We don't go through all this just to have a sedentary life. We could have sat on our butts on our old, cranky arthritic knees. You deserve to play golf and hike again. Best of luck on your revision journey.
 
Clarity.
I had my 3rd "2nd opinion" this morning.
This is the partner of my original surgeon who is a revision specialist.
Here's what I learned this morning.
1. Femur was not trimmed back far enough so leg will remain bent and bowed.
2. It will never improve.
3. No infection in his opinion based on the testing. Cancel white blood cell scan ordered, not necessary.
3. Inflammation will continue unless revised.
4. Ordered a CT scan.
5. His diagnosis and opinion is identical to my other 2nd opinion. He is confident he can correct the leg so it will function properly. He can get the leg straight and positioned properly.
6. Surgery revision date is August 14.
* I need to decide which surgeon I'm going to use. I liked both. Both have great reps and credentials.
Actually now looking forward to the surgery and a real recovery!
The surgeon today discussed PT. Soft and gentle approach until swelling gone and knee healing.
Having confirming opinions and getting clarity is a big relief. Original surgeon, PT all seemed to want to coverup and gloss over basic issue. Original surgery was messed up, botched, what ever description works and I was never going to heal up. Now the truth can be told and I can move toward a recovery and return to a more active lifestyle with a better end result with a bit of good luck!
The thought of being able to take a brisk walk and have the leg feel solid and strong rather than weak and unstable. That will be huge!
 
I'm really glad your second appointment today confirmed what the other second opinion surgeon said. Now you can be certain that the original, imperfect surgery was the cause of your problems.

Best wishes for making the choice as to which surgeon will do your revision. I wonder if @Jamie can offer advice on either/both of them, if you tell her who they are?
 
I am so glad your surgery is going to be so soon! Less than a month, that's wonderful! Time will fly by and before you know it you will have that new, perfect knee!

If you are a praying man, you could pray about which OS to choose. I know that helped me.
 
Making the decision is difficult. I really like them both. Does the fact that one surgeon who is a partner of my 1st surgeon be part of my decision making? IMO he handled himself very well in a possibly, difficult situation. He did it with integrity without criticizing his partners character or skill but explained how he would get it corrected.
 
Getting close to Revision surgery. August 14.
Looking for recommendations for a wedge pillow? Amazon has a bunch and I'm confused.
Thanks!
 
is the wedge pillow for elevating your knee? i had a "lounge doctor" which works well for me (comes in different sizes depending upon your height) which i learned about on this site. i ordered mine from ebay but you can also order from amazon. best wishes for a successful revision and good luck choosing a surgeon.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom