Guest viewing is limited

TKR AG TKR new knee

Fantastic update! You've done so well and I'm really pleased to hear it.
 
Getting close to 11 months and it does fight back at times. Too much activity and still can swell really bad. Ice and elevation. When it is swollen ROM is of course more limited. I would have liked to be more on the ROM, good days are probably still around 110. But realized my muscles really are weak, so doing weights at the gym to try and strength it back up.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So great to read of your progress... I'm only a month out from my original TKR and 2 weeks out from a 2nd surgery to remove a Hematoma and he also did an MUA while I was under to give me a 'fresh start,' he said since I'd been locked down for two weeks with the Hematoma. A week ago I only measured 45 degrees and since then I've been doing some gentle bends and lots of walking around the house and stretching. Sometimes I stand too much in the kitchen and it swells.. but reading your thread, along with many others on this forum, has truly given me hope that the best is yet to come and not to worry. So thank you. I can't wait until I can hike again!
 
I found biking worked great to keep my knee loose (ROM) and slowly building a walking regimen has worked a miracle with pain when standing or walking.
 
So great to read of your progress... I'm only a month out from my original TKR and 2 weeks out from a 2nd surgery to remove a Hematoma and he also did an MUA while I was under to give me a 'fresh start,' he said since I'd been locked down for two weeks with the Hematoma. A week ago I only measured 45 degrees and since then I've been doing some gentle bends and lots of walking around the house and stretching. Sometimes I stand too much in the kitchen and it swells.. but reading your thread, along with many others on this forum, has truly given me hope that the best is yet to come and not to worry. So thank you. I can't wait until I can hike again!

At a month out I wasn't thinking much of anything. Such baby steps at that point. It is a marathon not a sprint that is what I learned. Hope and faith will keep you going.


Right TKR 27 December 2016
 
I found biking worked great to keep my knee loose (ROM) and slowly building a walking regimen has worked a miracle with pain when standing or walking.

For your biking, what did you find is best? Lower resistance, or more? And how long, how frequent?


Right TKR 27 December 2016
 
I used and still do, 0 resistance because of my left knee which will need replacing. But I have found building up a walking regimen slowly has helped the pain in my TKR leg immensely, even 3 years out. The biking keeps my knee loose, but the walking has built up the muscle around the TKR in a way none of my therapy ever did and I had strength work after month 4-5. A year ago I had pain while shopping or walking longer than 10-15 minutes and thought it was due to my complications or weight, but now I can walk for an hour or two with no issues. I started just 10-15 minutes twice a day and added 5 minutes a week. I’m not an exercise fanatic, but I walk because it does help my knee.
 
Seems the soft tissue, tendons, etc at top of calf and bottom of hamstring still limit my ROM. Suggestions???


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Walking is the best exercise for a new knee. After all, that's exactly what they were built to do! Just try and much as you can. I find some days my knee is tighter than other days. I blame it on my activities or even the weather.
 
I agree with Sistersinhim. After I started slowly to build a walking regimen (3 years post op) my knee began feeling like a normal part of my body. Yes, I walked ALOT in my job, but I just instead of beginning slowly, I jumped into work which was a lot of walking. By slowly adding more distance to my walks I was able to build and stretch those muscles.
 
Anyone post 18 months still get nerve tingling around the knee at times? Wondering if this is good or concerning.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I’m not eighteen months yet, just one year, but I still get the occasional tingling/burning sensations around my knees. Nerves grow very slowly, so if our nerves are trying to reconnect we can feel these sensations for years. If the pains are constant, severe, or annoy you perhaps your doctor can prescribe something to help.
 
I still have minor zingers, even in my old knee that hasn't had a tkr yet, but 5 surgeries! I assume this is what you are having.
 
I don’t have tingling, but I still have a big numb spot that feels tingly when I rub it.
 
Me too, KarriB. I have decided that this is permanent.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Post two years... I might be crazy but want to try and snow ski next month. Not sure what it will feel like. Not even sure how long I will be able to do it. I think for now it is just about trying and getting the new knee doing something again that was once unimaginable
 
I have a place on the front of my left knee covering most of the kneecap that is just numb. I can do everything I want including ski but I have to make sure that the knee doesn’t get cut or pricked by things I can’t feel.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I’ll tag @skigirl for you. It might be a few days, though, before she catches up with you.
 
Thanks happy to hear about others who tried skiing. Probably worried more about getting up if I fall or even the fall itself. First time will probably be interesting. But at least there should be plenty of snow this year. I still have a good area that is numb on outside and more bottom area of knee
 
Sorry to take so long to reply was skiing with my granddaughters at Park City!! nice snow. I skied at 5 months with both knees, have skied 80-100 days for the last ten years, but last year moved to Minnesota where there is very little skiing. Just finished a ski trip. skiing without pain is awesome. When I fall, I take off one ski and then get up.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom