BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] AG TKR new knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by agarrett, Jan 16, 2017.

1. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    @Mireille, it's so good to hear how well you are doing. You are another one that proves that the BoneSmart way is the best way to rehab a knee replacement!

2. agarrett

agarrett member

Thanks @Mireille. Hope you are doing well as well. I started driving today. But my big win for the day was I got on the bike at the closest spot and was able to go around. Normally I back up 3 or 4 positions and then eventually move forward as it loosens up and get to where I started today. Huge win, well maybe two big wins. The driving thing is awesome too!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 3
  3. newlybionic

newlybionic FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:driver:Hooray!!!!

4. sistersinhim

Yippee! Freedom in the driver's seat! You go, girl!

5. agarrett

agarrett member

I gave up on PT after my last OS appointment. Still feel I should be doing more at times, but had a 10,000 step day last weekend. What a thrill that was. And I didn't pay huge for it the next day, that was even better. Still working on ROM, but functional ROM for daily living seems in good shape. It gets me a few times where I know my other leg bends better than that.

6. sistersinhim

That ROM will come. It continues to increase for a year or two. I have seen a big difference in mine in the last couple of months. Now, my two knees bend the same! You will get there, too. You are only 4 months out. Still a baby. Each month you'll see good improvement and before you know it, you won't even think about that knee! A 10,000 step day is huge for a 4 month old knee! And no repercussions...Yay!

7. agarrett

agarrett member

One question for anyone out there, when my knee doesn't want to bend, I feel the pain or tightness in the back of my leg, calf, hamstring, etc. not convinced that is where the limitation is just where I immediately feel it. Example is kneeling in a chair trying to sit my butt towards my heel. I don't push it past the pain, but wondering what causes that feeling.

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I can't explain that, but I'd look on it as a message that your whole leg is not comfortable with going any further, so stop when you feel that.
    It's still only just over 4 months since your TKR and there is plenty of time for your ROM to continue to increase. There's no need to rush.

9. DebM

DebM senior

Australia Australia
    @agarrett i have a similar pain but also grabs me behind the knee. Mr pt said it's possibly the hamstring tendon, I think there might be a bit of IT band tightness too because I've had that pre surgery. Massage and gentle stretching is the way to go.

10. agarrett

agarrett member

Thanks @Celle and @DebM typically after a massage all of it feels better, just trying to find a way myself to avoid that restriction. I know sometimes just time is needed. I go back to OS in about four weeks for my next check in.

11. Red's Mom

Red's Mom graduate

If you get a good answer t the "flexion restriction from the muscles in calf and hamstring" please tag me. My R leg is stuck at 120

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

12. DebM

DebM senior

Australia Australia
    Massage helps me too @agarrett. Today my pt got an extra 7 degrees with massage! patience is not one of my virtues :gaah: but like @Red's Mom I too would love to know if you find out anything different.

13. agarrett

agarrett member

Will do. I am still hoping to get to 120, not there yet. But can tell when those muscles are tight, am further limited in ROM.

14. agarrett

agarrett member

At four and a half months, realized that in six weeks for my surgeon follow up that is the six month mark. Hard to believe. I still ice almost daily once to keep the pain and swelling in check. Once a week I spend more time icing to flush out more swelling and elevate, makes me stop as well and ensure rest. Took a pretty long break from PT but need to refocus a bit. Notice more and more that the normal stuff seems pretty normal.

15. sistersinhim

Time will really start to fly now that you're feeling better. It sounds like with your activities, you don't have to worry about any PT. Normal feels so good!

16. Jennszoo

Jennszoo post-grad

Yeah, Ive totally noticed that extension and Flexion is more that just the joint. The Flexion, I can feel in my quads and if they're tight, I'm not flexing as far. It's the same with extension and the hamstrings. I actually credit some of my quick ROm gains to my pre surgery yoga practice, bc I went into this with a pretty decent flexibility. But Pt likes to take all the credit. lol

17. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I'm predisposed to extreme flexibility and have -degree extention in my TKR. All my therapists both in rehab and out patient PT were amazed. When I'd go to get up off the PT mat with one leg on the floor and the other laying flat on the mat the PTs would come running. Later in my recovery the PTs would manipulate my leg at the hip to see how far it would flex and I felt no pain. They asked if I did yoga or Pilates and my answer was no, I swam. They nodded, saying swimmers are usually very flexiable. :shrug:

18. agarrett

agarrett member

Checking in, don't think about my knee as much these days. That is still relative since it is still on my mind every day just not every hour :). My six month check up in in less than two weeks. My ROM is still about 115 or so on good days. I don't measure nearly as regularly as I once did. Still hit 100 many days at some point when it is stiff. But walking is near perfect and when people see that they think all is well. I know/pray the rest is still to come. I finally hit that point where month over month you see that big difference. Unfortunately when you are counting weeks, you cannot imagine comparing month over month. Interesting to see who I meet who also tells there TKR story. Something I haven't done in almost ten years is wear a shoe with a heel, even a small one, without pain that day. Now I can wear one several days in a row and don't notice a difference from wearing a flat. Small wins!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Coming up to 6 months and you've almost got your normal life back. That's great! :yes!: :happydance: :yay:

You will continue to notice slow, steady progress for a long time yet.

20. agarrett

agarrett member

@Celle any idea what will help this lump (assuming scar tissue) near the top of my knee. Fairly noticeable. And assuming it is part of my restriction.