BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] AG TKR new knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by agarrett, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I guess you could try massaging it.

2. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Wow, wearing a higher heel! I haven't done that in years. Good for you. You are doing so good for only 6 months!

3. agarrett

agarrett member

Post six month update...nearing my seven month anniversary. And yes I recognize it is still a baby knee, but my OS said test the waters. Try not to baby it. Find out what you cannot do, what limitations does it still have. ROM still moves Day to day. And for now the increased activity creates more swelling which in turns creates more restrictions naturally. So ice is more my friend again, as we do more and find the balance. Without testing the waters I find going down stairs can still be challenging or I feel the limitation on my ROM. So my biggest pain point is really the stiffness that is has, that some day will also disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. sistersinhim

Even after a year, sometimes I'm icing. I think it just comes naturally to grab that ice pack when we feel the pain coming on! I'd much rather do that than take narcotics!

5. jaschembra

jaschembra post-grad

I'm just behind you and I'm happy to hear what you're saying is what I'm experiencing as well and I know we are just experiencing a normal recovery. It gets better every month doesn't it. :)

6. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    You're doing pretty well. It's good to hear. :happydance: :yay: :dancy:

The stiffness and swelling will linger for a while. I think you're managing them very sensibly.

7. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I wouldn't call it a baby at 7 months--but it's far from an adult. Maybe a teenage knee. Thinks it can do anything but then has to face reality. :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. lennie

lennie member

LOL!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. agarrett

agarrett member

@jaschembra yes each month is better. I know that what I have now is better than the last three 7 month post surgery experiences I have had. I wonder what the best activity is at this point to try to stave off the stiffness. Noticing nights get stiff still regularly, and times of long time sitting are the other times. My hamstring/calf still seems to be the tightest and prevent further ROM. Must be time for a massage and see if that will help.

10. DebM

DebM senior

Australia Australia
    @agarrett I am also at a very similar stage to you. I also get stiffness at similar times. In the evening when I sit down to watch TV after a long day at work, and at times it wakes me up at 3in the morning though that is getting less with time. Massages have helped a little short term and Ifind if I do calf and hamstring stretches several times a day it is helpful. It is so much a month by month not day by day thing but at least it's still improving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. agarrett

agarrett member

@DebM thanks for sharing. I need to add more stretching, probably only think about it at bedtime. It is that it feels better so doing more until it reminds me hey still recovering some, not fully healed. When was your TKR?

I have a few areas on my knee that must be some scar tissue build up. Really wonder if those will break down or those lumps are there to stay.

12. DebM

DebM senior

Australia Australia
    I had my BTKR on January 19. We do have a lot more recovering to do.My OS has always said it takes at least 12 months even up to 2 years to get as good as it gets. I have learnt to exercise my patience!:bored:

13. agarrett

agarrett member

Past the seven month mark. Had a travel day and a lot of standing at work. Wow, my knee was not happy, been a while since I felt that bad. Evening with ice and elevation and back in good shape or better at least. Trying to start exercising again, not PT activities but normal people activities :) starting slow because frankly out of shape but at least trying to move in that direction. Knee looks ok, but welcome others thoughts. Current picture added

Right TKR 27 December 2016

14. sistersinhim

These knees do not like to stand still for long. In a grocery line, I find I have to 'march in place' to keep mine happy. Of course, that goes for the non-tkr knee, too! You did the right thing by icing and elevating. It's amazing how well that works!

15. agarrett

agarrett member

Looks like picture did not get added, will try again. How is this looking st 7 months? Today was a bad day. I think I have had too many days in a row of solid activity. Might need a down day to recover a bit. But trying to move more and get back in shape.
    members pic.jpg

Right TKR 27 December 2016

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  16. sistersinhim

It looks really good to me!

17. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Looks good!
    Takes a year or more to be 100%, even then if you over do your knee may swell a little and let you know to slow down a bit.

18. agarrett

agarrett member

This week was a test, almost at 8 month mark post surgery and was traveling. Did four days above 11,000 steps, max daily was 14,000. No ice any day. I did get plenty of sleep and rest in the evenings. But I call that success. Did lots of stairs, both up and down. Still feel the tightness both ways, but considered it PT and stretching. Will probably take a day or two rest before trying to continue this new found level of physical activity. Took two Tylenol every day but no more than that. A step forward for sure! Still waiting on more ROM, but progress each month on overall healing.

19. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You're doing so well! That's a ton of activity and your knee handled it like a champ. How wonderful to hear such an uplifting report!

20. agarrett

agarrett member

For those that have a tough start, which mine was, I am approaching 9 months and get excited about new things that I wasn't sure I would be able to do again. I was at Red Rock Canyon and did a two hour hike include uneven ground, rocks, a few areas that I needed my hands to help climb a little due to the rocks. My knee did great, a few places I felt the ROM provide a little limitation but overall did great! Equivalent elevation was more than 40 flights of stairs. But one thing I really want to do is sit Old School Indian style/cross cross legs. I know this might be silly but I work with kids and well when on the floor it helps. So there are still things I am working into what I call full recovery, if my knee will in fact get there eventually.

• Like Like x 1