BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] AG TKR new knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by agarrett, Jan 16, 2017.

1. agarrett

agarrett member

United States United States
    Great to hear @skigirl I will let you know how it goes. A few more weeks. What is your ROM? I only got back to 110 most days with max at 114 degrees, so not sure if that is going to cause a problem.

2. skigirl

skigirl FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

We had a ski instructor who had about the same rom and she seemed to do okay, I am very lucky and have 130 and 145 in my knees. but then, I have always been very limber and at 74 I can put both palms on the floor. Just take it easy, ski the green runs until you are sick of them and then try some easy blues. Just enjoy yourself in the mountains, there is no reason to stress yourself or your knee. Where are you going?

3. agarrett

agarrett member

Heading to Steamboat, Colorado. No more than 3 days, but planning to take it easy and enjoy it. New challenge but excited to try something that had gotten unbearable and impossible before the TKR.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jayla

Jayla junior member

I am at 9 weeks post op. I use a hand held massager on the soft tissue of my legs especially on the IT band since that is very tight. I also do better with heat so I use a warm rice bag on the soft tissue to relax my muscles/tendons before I stretch to work on ROM.

5. skigirl

i think you will have a great time. Start with the greens and ski easily for the first day. You will feel more confident after you see that you can ski!! Take it easy, enjoy the mountains, the sunshine, the snow, the skiing and the hot chocolate laced with coffee!! Sitting in a sunny spot is part of the experience!!

6. agarrett

agarrett member

@skigirl skiing was great! no concerns or issues. I worked really hard at not falling the two ski days. I did greens but that was too boring and moved to blues, but did still decline some blues. I was probably more impressed with how well it went than I thought it would go. I was skeptical for sure. so glad it was possible again!

• Like Like x 2
  7. agarrett

agarrett member

Ortho check up today, not yet 2.5 years but close! next check up in 5 years! wow, won't that feel like forever after the TKR. Also looking forward to play a little soccer again, indoor only, limited time on the field, but huge smile! when you talk about getting your life back - this could be it. All within limits for things to do, still plenty on the list of don't do; but such a difference from one year ago when more limitations existed. Encouragement to all more time does make a difference!!

• Like Like x 3
  8. FCBayern

FCBayern member

Very encouraging for those of us early in. Thanks for sharing!

9. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy to hear how well you are doing, skiing, and getting back to most of the activities you enjoy.
    Yes it does get better with time, past the one year mark as we fully recover from the TKR and all the time spent with a painful debilitating joint.

10. skigirl

I am so happy to hear that the skiing went well---what a relief!! I agree that as we move forward with our lives, it is so exciting to pick up things we had left behind. I spend days, even weeks when the word knee does not enter my head!! Except when i am posting here!

11. agarrett

agarrett member

Took me to the two year mark before finding that happy mark. One of those things early on wasn’t sure would happen. Just took longer

Right TKR 27 December 2016

• Like Like x 1
  12. agarrett

agarrett member

I needed a lot of hope and encouragement early on too. And I didn’t believe most that it got better because I was so bad off. But it does change, everyone’s timeline is so different so don’t compare too much. Good luck!

Right TKR 27 December 2016

13. skigirl

Life is a journey and requires us to adjust to changes along the way. If we give up one sport, we find another that we like. I find that alpine sking is not too successful in Minneapolis due to the lack of mountains, so am finding that Nordic skiing is full of challenges and is a lot of fun to do. Moving silently through the woods is an experience not to be missed.

At age 75, I find that continuing to learn new things is what keeps the adventure going in life! I took a creative writing course and a cross country skiing course this last winter and both made my winter quite fun.

14. agarrett

agarrett member

Has anyone had any trouble sleeping on stomach with knee bent and then it locking up. It happens from time to time and basically feels like I cannot even lift my leg. It will wake me up at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I’m not normally a stomach sleeper so I’ve never tried. There have been times I felt my knee locking up in a certain position while in bed though.

16. agarrett

agarrett member

Any thoughts or ideas on why that happens? Wondering if it will eventually stop or something I need to ask my orthopedic about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Mine eventually stopped. It hurt a bit when I forced it to move out of position, but it hasn’t happened for about a year now.