TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Josephine. OK, unrealistic expectations I guess. I read about these TKR's who stand up and immediately know that the original pain is gone and all that is left is healing pain. So I was naively expecting that to happen. Not the case for me apparently.
Of course it happened for you! That awful grinding pain was gone, wasn't it? And when people say "healing pain" they don't mean just a gentle soreness! They mean pain but a totally different kind that can, with good stewardship, be managed. You just need to get your management regime figured out, that's all. For instance ...
As for elevating and icing, yes constantly. I have it in the CPM machine which elevates it and then last night I elevated it a good foot above the rest of me, and it's still pretty swollen. And ice, yes lots and lots and lots of icing going on.
... do not count time in the CPM towards your elevating and icing. Remember the mantra is REST, elevate and ice. CPMs do not give your knee rest.

And you elevated it a good foot above the rest of your what?
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
We have a mantra for that too and it's "toes above nose"!!

The Hydromorphone is aka Dilaudid in the USA and is stronger than the Hydrocodone. I am changing out between the two, but I'll up the dosage and call the OS tomorrow about getting more.
Yes I know all that, what I meant was that since it's not commonly used in the UK I am not familiar with the clinical use of it. Therefore professional standards mean that I am unable to give advice where this drug is concerned.

Josephine, I reread your saga about going it alone and realize how brave you were to do that. Don't know how I'd do it on my own.
brave? Not really, I don't think. In the end, one has to play the cards one is dealt and it with all the prep I'd done before hand and advice, help and encouragement from here (yes, me too!
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
) I just got on with it.
 
Didn't realise there was so much of the thread I hadn't yet read! So here's some pointers for you

1. I think your CPM is part of your problem or at the very least, adding to it. There's an article in the Library called Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it? which you should read to understand what's going on with your leg. The stiffness is on account of the swelling and a CPM will cause more swelling. Think about it.

2. You shouldn't be heaving laundry up and down stairs at 2½ weeks. Read this article Progression of activity for TKRs

3. Your doctor seems a sensible kind of chap and not eager to rush into things, nor to have you do that either. Follow his lead!

4. When you get to having PT, remember that YOU are in charge. It's YOUR body and they should not do anything you don't like or that causes you pain. Never let anyone tell you "No pain, no gain" because that's rubbish! The proper saying is "no pain MORE gain"!

Keep it up, you're doing incredibly well despite everything and yes, I am proud of you. In 4-6 months time you will look back on this and be glad that you did it anyway! :dancy:
 
It's hard to concentrate when you are on pain meds - just the wrong time for a 'new look' forum ........... but then it would always be the wrong time for somebody! We'll cope, we have 'new knee' determination!!!:gaah:
 
It looks like you're in a better place mentally already :) - glad to see you're in better spirits. But it also seems you're overdoing things a little. I can understand that you want to go back to normal as soon as possible - but give yourself a chance to heal. The recovery process is not a race you know :wink:.
 
OMG. Wow, I need to get used to this bed. I feel like Princess and the Pea who slept on all of the mattresses. It is so tall, which is ok, but my other bed was so low, I've gone from one extreme to the other.

And a very Happy Father’s Day to all the dad’s out there.
 
How long before you stopped worrying and thought that maybe this TKR was going in the right direction. I am afraid to hold out hope that maybe, just maybe this worked. And I still worry that I might have a reaction to the knee even with the nickel free implant.

But was there a turning point where you knew it was going to be ok. And I am hoping it wasn't just after surgery when you stood on it for the first time as I am already almost 3 weeks into post op.
 
I absolutely knew when I made the decision to have both knees done that everything was going to turn out fine. When my OS's PA saw me on pre-op testing day, he said they would do my right knee on Thursday provided everything went well with my left which was to be done Monday---I told him right then and there that he and the OS would be seeing me on Thursday because there were not going to be any problems. And never did I have any doubts at any time in my recovery that it wasn't going to be a howling success. AND IT IS!!!! But I am a cockeyed optomist who has always said that if you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, don't just stand there, strike a match!
 
Most people get to the stage where they can begin to see the positives of the surgery at around the 6 week point. There are actually some surgeons who make that their first follow up appointment for just that reason! They know before that time, patients will be unhappy with recovery.

It does get better with time. Quite frankly, three weeks....six weeks.......it's nothing in terms of your recovery. You need to think in terms of months (sorry!). It's not like you're going to be disabled for months on end, but you likely will not be feeling "normal" either until around 6 months out. People commonly report that it takes a year and maybe two before they feel completely comfortable with their new knee.

Please don't let this get to you! Remember that things ARE getting better and that will continue. With your old knee, things were only going to get worse with time. So you are on the right path!!
 
I absolutely agree with Jamie. Patience is the virtue most needed through this. Some recover quicker than others and I'm one of the "others". I'd have preferred to be one of the "some" but I've had to accept my slow recover and get on with life.
 
Elisea - I hope you're feeling better today. And Judy's correct (at least as far as I'm concerned). The new format is a bit disconcerting. It took me a little while to figure it out. I DO like the Alerts though! :thumb:
 
I had surgery 2 days after you. I know I had no choice but to do surgery and so far I think I’m doing ok. But then I’m afraid at some point this is all going to go bad – my head gets filled with ‘what ifs’. Not recommended, it’ll drive you crazy. So, we take it a day at a time till the time comes we don’t even give it a second thought anymore because we’re too busy with our lives. :friends:
 
Elisea, I knew I was headed in the right direction when they woke me up in the OR and said, Jacky, you can wake up now it's all done, and I asked, are they both done? And they said, yes he was able to get them both done! OMG! Such a relief came over me and they told me later that I had such a smile on my face, even after I fell back asleep, because I knew the peace of mind that I felt about knowing that now my body will re-adjust itself to it's proper alignment while I recover and doing PT and healing both sides at once! I feel it's a win, win for me! :yes!: Come what may, I will never regret my choice and I wish the same for you my dear friend! One day at a time! :friends:
 
Elisea, I like your avatar. Maybe I'll try putting in a new picture of me and Magrat. There's one of me sitting on the recliner sipping a nice cold drink from Starbucks -- if I recall correctly. The sleep thing and aching thing is definitely normal for me. I'm almost 10 weeks post, still tired, and taking naps whenever possible. Pain meds are less, but still a good thing for helping with the aching and pain. It gets better gradually. I keep telling myself that.

Oh, yes. I agree with you about the walk down the driveway to get the mail. It was like an excursion adventure for me too -- meandering like a turtle down the sloping driveway -- and even slower going back up. I still go slowly, but it's easier now and not as slow.

@ Judy, thanks for letting us know that they're still tweaking the forum. I've been wondering about that too.
 
I felt pretty ok about the whole thing in the first few weeks b/c I knew it would be tough. But then after around week 4 when you're still in the early stages you really realize that it will be a long haul and that can get to you.
What helped me was to focus on each little milestone and see that gradual progress taking place.
 
The dark days are indeed the first three weeks, in my estimation. And you are right, about week four you begin to get a little bit antsy and want things to progress somewhat---and then it gets frustrating. The first three weeks, for me, were merely survival and a dark haze. When I started to feel better and want to do things, I began to look for progress---and it was slow in coming. Those small milestones, though, are certainly significant and worth savoring!
 
Elisea, the truth is that you will always find something to worry about if that is what you want to do. But why? I know that's easier said than done if it's your nature to look for things to worry about, but just pay attention to what IS, save your worrying for when you actually have something to worry about and then do something about it. And if there is something you can do about it, there's no need to worry anyway. And why wouldn't you be in the 90% for which this works and is happy? Why not? Assume you are the 90% unless proven otherwise!
 
Hi Elisea, I am with Janet, believe that you are in the 90% for which this works and are happy. I called my personal trainer today to set up a new workout program, and when she asked how it was I told her that it still hurts, but that I believe that it will be fine and that as I continue to regain the muscle and the pain dissipates it will really be fine. So, I realize that I was practicing just that, the power of positive thinking, and why not? Like Janet said, "Assume you are the 90% unless proven otherwise!"

Hang in there! This is a marathon, not a sprint... It still hurts at 8 weeks, for me, definitely not the same way, but as I look back I see soooo many changes and improvements. I am going to be able to do so much, but I still am recovering and need to take good care of myself.

Do not feel badly about pampering yourself. That is what you need to do to heal and recover. You are going to be just fine, in time. :console2:
 
Janet, appreciate your opinion as much as any other willing to contribute a thought. Please, though, don’t take a few remarks on this forum and think you know me, you do not. People learn and grow by having a healthy discussion.

Many people, many thoughts, many opinions. Doesn’t mean one is right and one wrong, one must be worrying or negative and the other positive; this does spur conversation and that is good. And if the conversation helps others reading it to examine their experience more closely, all the better.
 
I had surgery 2 days after you. I know I had no choice but to do surgery and so far I think I’m doing ok. But then I’m afraid at some point this is all going to go bad – my head gets filled with ‘what ifs’. Not recommended, it’ll drive you crazy. So, we take it a day at a time till the time comes we don’t even give it a second thought anymore because we’re too busy with our lives.

Ah yes, Morning Glory, I wasn't finding your thread and forgot we were so close in surgery dates. And I too, had really no choice but to do the surgery, think many are in the same situation so it is good that we express it.

Anyway, I read other TKR experiences, as is natural for all of us, and want to know why I am not playing tennis yet. Well, not that I could play tennis before, but still, 3 weeks post op, should I not be ready to play tennis? :loll:

Hope you are progressing well. We should compare in about 6 months and post about it at that time. It will prove to be interesting to be sure.
 
Most people get to the stage where they can begin to see the positives of the surgery at around the 6 week point. There are actually some surgeons who make that their first follow up appointment for just that reason! They know before that time, patients will be unhappy with recovery.

Thanks Jamie, that is helpful. I would never have guessed that some surgeons delay the first followup for that reason. Veeeeryyyyy interesting!! That would make sense, though, why they would wait to see a patient at the six week point.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom