TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Elisea! You are are right, I don't know you but am only responding to your comments as attitude plays a hand in healing and well being. But I did mis use my pronouns when I said You in regards to what ones nature is, as in that I meant the larger Someone of anyone that might be reading along. I don't know your nature, I only have an impression from your posts over time, and my comments are meant only with the best intentions of well wishes for your well being. I'm sorry if I was speaking out of line. You are smart and caring, you know what you are doing and you are doing fine!
 
Elisea, I would agree with Jamie.......although so glad to get it behind me the first few weeks/months were very hard. My worst problem before the surgery was instability so I would get glimmers in the first weeks, whoa, it is not going to just pop out of joint unpredictably...wow! But, after surgery the healing did hurt, and ITB acted up, the PT is a lot of work. My back hurt and I had spasms that made it hard to sleep. Sleep deprivation is not fun. Sometimes I would ask myself, did I just trade one problem for another? And the ROM takes a while, so that is not an immediate boost. But I just hit 3 months and I am starting to see that this is all going to be so much better, really better!! My walk is more balanced (it took a while to correct the bad habits of many years from the terrible knee) and so my back feels so much better. When I walked a mile and a half without my cane last week, that was a WOW moment. I am straighter. I am TALLER!! That was a wow moment. I have regained my height as a teen (at age 58), back t 5'4 1/2". YES!! I think for some people these things and others may be a little faster or a little or a lot slower, but it will come.
At my ten week follow up I started off telling the ortho positive things but he pushed me to tell him the negatives (ITB pain, healing pain, fatigue) , and then he said, most people experience those things at ten weeks, so he said don't worry. He kind of outlined a timeline and said, don't forget, it is 6 month to a year for recovery, so don't worry. He was happy with the ROM and said all the rest will come. Be patient. So I am taking each day and accomplishment and every small thing I can say, wow, I could not do that six months ago!
 
Pleinaire, that is nice to hear! I know that at two weeks, my recovery has barely begun, and I know from reading others recovery threads, there are going to be dips in the uphill road. Yet whether the dips are large or small, few or many, almost everyone eventually gets to that place where they are so happy with how much better their life is because of the decision to have this surgery! It's great to be reminded of this again and again!
 
Hi Elisea

I shall put my comments to your question. The first 3 weeks were horrible and a little frightening to be honest. I spent so much time working out if I was progressing at the correct pace as everybody else - wasted energy on reflection. We all progress at different rates and it also depends what state all your muscles were in prior to surgery. Mine were in a tight and terrible state, so it took me longer to reach certain goals. My turning point was week 4 and I could finally see light at the end of the tunnel. It all started falling into place and my mobility really improved. When I got rid of the crutches it was party day!!

Jamie is right about consultants not seeing patients until at least week 6 - mine didn't want to see me until week 8. He told me while I was in hospital that he didn't see his patients earlier because he didn't want to be shouted at!!! He even told me that in the first 4 weeks I would curse and wonder why I had put myself through this surgery - he was so right!!!! He said at 8 weeks his patients are so keen to show him how far they have come with their recovery ..... wise man!!

You are doing just great Elisea with your recovery. It is a long road with this recovery but it is certainly worth all the pain, frustration, tears and uncertainty. I am just about 6 months into recovery and I simply love my new knee - every single morning I am so pleased I have gone through with the surgery. I bet 6 months from now you will be reflecting the same thoughts. Good luck and best wishes to you.
 
To add to what Jazyb said - my surgeon told me: "You will hate me for the first 3 months, and then love me for the rest of your life."

Well, I didn't hate him, but I wasn't sure the operation was a success for quite some time. Now - at 6 months out - I'm sure of it. I can't say I've fallen in love with the man, but I do respect his skill! :SUNsmile:
 
Appears I chose the best PT for me. They are being very gentle. I have the exercises to do at home such as heel slides and quad strengthening, in addition to the icing.

And during the PT session, they are gently working around the knee, light touching, stretching and massaging for now. They said they don’t want to cause pain, and it is not what they are about.
 
Elisea, Been reading your posts. My surgery was close to a week after you. My experience has been much the same as yours. My ROM has been good but I can only lift my leg straight in the air about 7 inches while laying down. Can't lift from the floor to bed either. I have been concerned as I have not seen others mention this. I am a small business owner and returned to work this week 3 days with about 5 hours each because I had to. I am still using the walker. PT came to my house last week but said if I am going to work can go to outpatient. I have bouts of pain. Seems mostly at night. I am taking percocet 5/325 every 5 to 6 hours. Unless bad night then will take inbetween. Seems to make me sleep. I had unrealisitic expecations, thought I would be driving in 10 days. I have a difficult time getting in the car.
When I came home from hospital I thought I would sleep on couch. While in hospital I fell and broke my wrist so was not able to get up from my couch either. Rented a hospital bed. I am now able to lay on couch.
Sounds like you are getting your pain under control. Keep posting as you blaze the trail for those behind you. Seems I am taking many of the same steps that you are. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
 
Hi Elisea!
Just checking in. I hope you are having an easier night.

Hi Vicki,
Oh my goodness! I just read about your wrist. That's awful I need to go find your thread to see what happened. Hope you are having a great night!
 
Appears I chose the best PT for me. They are being very gentle. I have the exercises to do at home such as heel slides and quad strengthening, in addition to the icing.

And during the PT session, they are gently working around the knee, light touching, stretching and massaging for now. They said they don’t want to cause pain, and it is not what they are about.

YAY! I am so glad that you have a good PT that is gentle. That is wonderful. :yay:
 
Elisea, Been reading your posts. My surgery was close to a week after you. My experience has been much the same as yours. Keep posting as you blaze the trail for those behind you. Seems I am taking many of the same steps that you are. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Hi vicledsome
That is nice of you to say about reading my thread. Trying to keep the thread real and one that others can relate to without sounding like I am whining tooooo much.

I continue to use the walker at home because I limped so badly for so many years and the walker helps more than anything right now with smoothing out my gait. Otherwise, it is hard not to continue limping as it has now become a habit; fortunately PT said it was fine to keep using it for the time being.

I can lift my leg onto the bed but my leg wrangler (aka leg lifter) has been wonderful; and I still use it for getting the foot out of the car. The leg lifter (which is a belt like PT uses around your waist) also doubles as an exercise tool for pulling up my foot when doing heel slides. Which means it is always at the ready and I have no excuses for not doing my PT exercises.

And yes, totally relate to the bouts of pain at night. I am in a sleep cycle that wakes me about every two hours and almost always with an aching knee. In the morning, a nice hand held warm shower while seated and with my knee as the center of attention feels so good and helps with my tight stiff knee and muscles.

I must drive to PT in the morning which means that I hold off on pain meds until after PT. People who have someone to drive them are so fortunate don’t you think?! My saving grace after the surgery was my sister and hubby who took me in for over two weeks, fed me gourmet meals, allowed me to do nothing but sleep and kept me overflowing in ice.

I don’t know how you are able to work after 3 weeks. Healing is definitely not conducive to a work schedule. Plus, driving is an effort; I would need to take a nap if I had to drive to work. And you are doing everything with a broken wrist which puts you into a whole new realm of healing. Your body is healing on so many fronts, you must be doubly tired. Quite the valiant feat, vicledsome, you are to be admired in awe by the rest of us.
 
Using the walker is good. I had a therapist say that is is good to use aids to help you to walk well rather than practice more limping. That is too bad that you have to drive yourself and not take your meds, and on the other hand it is good that you can manage to do it since you need to.

Keep up the good work. And I like that you are keeping it real. Hang in there!
 
Here it is a few hours after my posting above and sleep escapes me. I will be glad when able once again to sleep more than two hours at a time. :yawn: :yawn:
 
Elisea, glad to see your spirits are much better:yes: and that you are doing well. That sleep thing is a bear:gaah: and may be with you for another month at least.:groan:Don't know about you, but I am adjusting to the changes here at the site. There will be more tweaks as time goes on---change is just hard for all of us.:umm:Take care, keep up the good work, we care.
 
It's so good to hear how positive things are going for you! Other than that whole 2 hours of sleep thing! :mcoffee:
I hope that works out for you soon. I'm with the others - I like that you are so straightforward about your experience. It's helpful to hear both the negative and the positive, at least for me.
:thankyou:
 
Yes, that gait work is important. As you get more bend you can get in and out of the car more easily. do you move the seat or just pry in and out? And soon you'll be able to give up the "leg wrangler" too. I remember them wanting me to try without it (I did the one leg helping the other thing) pretty quickly.
 
You seem to me to be doing really well especially as you are driving yourself. I take a lot of comfort from the recovery posts good and not so good and I am sure that not only are every recovery different but everyone starts from a different starting point. I dont have a limp and I know it is only a matter of time until my knee deteriorates but at the minute it isnt too bad just a pain. Others start from an almost disabled point unable to move well and already at a disadvantage. Not saying my recovery will be any easier I know well enough it may not be but everyone is different with different pain thresholds and different attitudes no one is right or wrong. You seem to have found the perfect PT for you so good luck with your continued recovery I am impressed at your fortitude
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom