TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elisea, so glad that you have a wonderful PT who knows to take it slow and not cause pain. That makes a huge difference. The sleep thing (waking up every couple of hours or so) was a problem for me too -- very common, they say. One of my problems was getting in a comfortable position that stayed comfortable for more than a few minutes. At 10 weeks, I'm still waking up during the night, but sleeping more comfortably now. The turning point is different for each person, but you'll get there.

I still use the cane sometimes -- particularly when I know that I'll be walking on uneven ground somewhere. It helped me to walk more evenly. I thought that I wasn't limping anymore. My physical therapist corrected that opinion. :umm:So even when I started mall-walking (walking slowly) after 3 weeks, I used the cane for stability and to remind me to walk evenly. You and your new knee will know what works for you at different stages of your recovery. :thumb:

Hope that you get some sleep tonight. :sleep:
 
The sleep thing (waking up every couple of hours or so) was a problem for me too -- very common, they say. One of my problems was getting in a comfortable position that stayed comfortable for more than a few minutes. Hope that you get some sleep tonight. :sleep:

Great points, Becky. I did get some sleep last night but not nearly enough. Who knew that I'd be dreaming of sleep! :heehee: :zzz:
 
TIME & PATIENCE---Elisea---TIME & PATIENCE! Of course, when you're whacked out and seriously grumpy from lack of sleep, you just want to hit me over the head when I say that. And I don't blame you. And being told that it will get better just sounds like a platitude and isn't much of consolation when what you really want and need is a good night's sleep. If it doesn't improve over the next couple of weeks, you could talk with your doc about a sleep aid to get your body back in its correct sleep rhythm. Hang in there, sweetie, it REALLY will get better.
 
Hi 1ELISEA,

I'm getting only sporadic sleep and dozing off when I can. Can't get comfortable although sometimes I can sleep on my right side for up to an hour. I know from experience that this passes but it's not a consolation for now. I have a home visit from the doctor in a couple of days and I intend to complain! Want more meds!
 
So able to relate, bassplayer, and am a side sleeper myself. Don't know quite what to do with that "other" leg. The other leg is the one that is in the way at the time.
 
In general it should be easier to sleep on the side of the operated leg, according to my last PT. It was true then and it's true now. It took me about 4 months last time before I could sleep on that other side. Meanwhile, I am getting by on naps...
 
Lots of pillows, one between the legs for sure, pillows in front and pillows behind. I also am a side sleeper. It is hard. I am waking every few hours. I feel it is a good night when I continue to fall back to sleep each time.

I wish you lots of sleep, longer stretches, and quick return to sleep when you do awake. :zzz::sleep: Hang in there! :console2:
 
Well, since I've been wide awake and on BoneSmart for houuuuurs I'll pass along a tip of mine.

As I need to drive myself places, my right knee doesn't appreciate the overuse and wants me to drag my ice machine with me. Hmmm.... not possible.

Instead, I bought several instant ice compresses, the type that are chemically based and when shaken they become cold. The work nicely for a quick cold compress. I have several in my car and when my knee starts swelling I have instant cold for several hours.

I attended a family gathering yesterday and was able to use one without attracting even one question about the ice pack. Now my knee garnered lots of discussion, all the horror stories about failed ones, etc. But the ice pack was inconspicuous and helped control the pain until I was able to leave, go home and take my pain medication.
 
Hey, is it a good sign if I am getting bored at lying around?

I still hurt and my ROM is MIA, it is not anywhere to be found, and I am beginning to be seriously worried about ever being able to normally bend my knee.

But I am bored......... probably would be better if I had someone to drive me around. Driving myself is a huge planned out production to go anywhere, and then I only have stamina to do one activity.

Hmmm..... maybe I'll tackle a store outing today, haven't done that yet. ................ :rolleyes:
 
I take it as a good sign that you're getting a bit bored with lying around. Smart move with the ice packs.

I'm a side sleeper too. I used a pillow between the legs, but even then it took a while. Gradually it gets better--you'll be able to last longer on your side bit by bit.
 
Elisea, I am a side and back sleeper, when I want to lay on my side I have the pillows positioned so when I turn over on my left, the pillow is waiting for the whole right leg. I also have another pillow for my right arm so it doesn't get jealous! :wink:
 
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th Elisea, I too am a side sleeper, but I cannot sleep with my knees together (never could). I use the two outside positions of the three shown in the thumbnail. I have a 4" memory foam topper on my bed and am always very comfortable.
 
I sleep the same way as you, Judy, but I often find it more comfortable if I put a small pillow under the knee of my top leg. It's really comfortable like that.

Celle
 
I was so dog tired, I just woke up from an hour nap. I was attempting my ROM exercises, could not keep my eyes open and fell asleep. :zzz: Next thing I knew I was waking up. That must say something about how tired I was because I find ROM exercises uncomfortable.

Appreciate all of the suggestions and the illustrations. Thank you! I'll try them tonight and see if I can get comfortable and some sleep. :sleep:
 
Judy,
thanks for the pictures, that's what I was trying to explain, but "a picture is worth a thousand words!" :)
 
I've fallen asleep doing ROM exercises more than once. Particularly when I do the one lying on the bed, face down and raising my ankle towards the back of my leg.
 
I was so dog tired, I just woke up from an hour nap. I was attempting my ROM exercises, could not keep my eyes open and fell asleep. :zzz: Next thing I knew I was waking up. That must say something about how tired I was because I find ROM exercises uncomfortable.

Appreciate all of the suggestions and the illustrations. Thank you! I'll try them tonight and see if I can get comfortable and some sleep. :sleep:

Well, It sounds like your knee "pulled rank" on you and said, "I need rest, Now!". And your body did what was needed most. That is great. Yay! Keep on healing!
 
Welllllllll .... still stuck in this not sleeping more than a couple of hours cycle. Tried some of the suggested leg positions to no avail.

I think, though, I might be subconsciously concerned that I'll hurt my knee as I sleep and wake up instead to make sure that doesn't happen. Sort of like my mini me is staying awake to check on my mini knee. :heehee:
 
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
Hope these help you feel less frustrated about lack of sleep. But it's good to see you posting all over the place and being so positive with everyone else. It's good to have the "old" Elisea back!
 
Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble sleeping. One of the things I'm not looking forward to. Lack of sleep brings out the worst in me. I've stocked up on "things to do" when I can't sleep. - Do you have anything to keep you occupied?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom