Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay Elisea you have a choice now!!! You can walk like an APE or a HOOKER! You go for it...either way I doubt you will be over-thinking about your gait! :angel:
Debbie are you my lost twin?
 
Debbie_joints
Brownie51

OMG! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Both of you are hysterical. Have you thought of writing for a living because the pictures you paint with words are priceless............. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Merry Christmas! I wish everyone a blessed Christmas holiday and the beginning of a great post TKR New Year!
 
Hope that everyone had a great Christmas!

I was at my sister's for dinner and gift giving and then we used a laptop to Skype some family members in another country into the scene. Amazing what technology allows us to do these days.

I was showing off at how well I was doing, and eating up their exclaims of "wow, fantastic" as I walked up and down the living room, strutting my stuff. Then I plopped down between two family members, on a couch that was very low, and a heavy and also low coffee table directly in front of me which was way too close, barely enough room to put my small feet in front of me. All of these things got in my way when it came time to stand up.

Sooooo, I needed to call for a li-ttttt-le "help" and have a hand, one on each side, to pull me up. In all fairness, I'm not sure anyone would have been able to get up from that seat on the couch. Other than that, I did famously.

But lots of fun, lots of food and presents and sharing stories of Christmas' past and plans for the future.

Hope that everyone had a great time with their family!
 
@Lori-M
Good to hear from you! How are you doing?

What is the cane for; I mean do you use it because of your knees or for some other reason? The reason I was finally quietly pushed into having a TKR was the other option given was a wheelchair. Now, I practice using the stairs and anything else I need to do to keep as far away from those walking aids as possible.
I was using the cane pre-surgery more for confidence than anything. When I started back to work I kept using it because of my commute. After a few weeks back it would go on the shelf once I was in the office but I was still using it to walk from the train to the bus stop and vice versa at the end of the day. Today is (drumroll please) my first day without it!:happydance:I didn't even fold it up and put it in my backpack!:yay:

And by the way, I paid attention to how I'm walking and I walk correctly according to your explanation of what correct is.:yes:
 
I was using the cane pre-surgery .... Today is (drumroll please) my first day without it! I didn't even fold it up and put it in my backpack!

WooHoo!!!! Congratulations!
That is quite an accomplishment. I know how hard it is to give up those "crutches" (bad pun I know :loll:) we all rely on! Very proud of you!
 
Lori - you totally deserve the accolades! :SUNsmile:
I mean, you don't even have it in a car or anywhere nearby where you can get it if necessary. Ooops, maybe it's too soon to say that; I'll wait until you have done without it for a few days. So neeeevvvverminddddd. :thumb::rolleyes::heehee:
 
Sorry to hear about the kidney stones but happy to hear they have passed. Seems like it is always something. You are dedicated to your work! Take care and hope there are no more stones!


vicledsome
Hi, how are you doing, Vicki.
Noticed you hadn't been on for a couple of weeks.
Checking in to see how you are over Christmas and this holiday week!
 
Well, this is a new one. Apparently, I am walking wrong. :)
60mom
You asked on your thread if anyone had an issue with not walking correctly... well, yes, big time.
Read the last couple of pages of my thread and you'll see what I've been told about my walking. Hopefully, it will help you too!
 
Okay Elisea you have a choice now!!! You can walk like an APE or a HOOKER!
Brownie51 Debbie_joints
Ummm... so I have this picture of a ape dressed as a hooker, not that I'd know what one looks like. But maybe gobs of large knuckle rings and several necklaces and bracelets............ sleeveless top.... she keeps yanking on it to keep up......... green tight pants.... red heeled shoes... clunky heels because..... well she is an ape after all.... stilettos would break..... oh goodness......... this is a fun picture. :loll:
 
Not sure I can wrap my mind around this post; I never thought I'd be writing about this subject and may pass out and fall over from the shock. If I do, I hope I don't hurt my knee. :loll:

I AM SHOPPING FOR HIKING BOOTS!! :)

Any recommendations?
I want lightweight day hiking boots, with definite ankle support. Something for small hikes, no fancy hiking yet, just want to get my sea legs, so to speak this coming summer.

Trainwreck
Thanks for the previous post with recommendations. As I haven't hiked for at least a decade, not sure if how they fit in the store is indicative of how the feel on the hike. I'm planning on trail hiking, no off trail, this summer.

You mentioned Zamberlan and Asolo's but I didn't find any today to try on at the limited stores I visited. I can plan to do more shopping but wanted to know what you thought of these Vasque Breeze 2.0. They seemed to fit really well with good ankle support; I have a narrow heel, bit of a high arch, and regular width foot. I have full (130) ROM but very weak ankles if that makes a difference.

BJ Mac - tagging you for viewing my post as I may feel a little like you do with your snowboarding.
trailspud - anyone with trail in their name must know a thing or two about trail hiking.
 
Those look nice Margaret; I did follow the link and they do fit the bill. I'm heading out now to do some shopping and I'll see if I can find some to try on.

I've found that stores are hit and miss with brands; I'm looking for a store that carries lots of hiking shoes but instead are finding stores that carry lots of shoes and a few hiking boots/shoes. Guess it's been wayyyyyy too long since I went shopping for hiking type boots. :)
 
If you have an LLBean store near you they have a ramp that you can go up and down as that is one of the ways you want to test the boots. REI might also have a ramp but I don't remember. Make sure you try the boots on with hiking socks too. Good luck!
 
ElanorG
Oh, wow, thanks for the tips Lisa.
It's been so long since I tried on hiking boots, it sounds like a great idea to test on a ramp!
 
The other things is if you have time before you are using them, really break them in. Wear them around the house and then grocery shopping and then do soem walking in them. Hiking boots are worse than shoes, at least I think, in terms of breaking in and the last thing you want is to deveopl a bad blister when you are out hiking! But when you do go, make sure you take bandaids and moleskin!
 
How exciting Elisea!:happydance:Good luck finding the perfect shoes! I've never really hiked but I wear a Northside winter shoe (they also come as boots for ankle support) during the wet, cold months. They're lightweight and protect pretty well plus they have a sole that looks rugged enough for trail hikes. Northside also has a range of different styles for summer - like athletic style shoes which are open on the sides for airflow, but still have toes and hard soles for protection/stability and well-designed, supportive sandals. I haven't worn their other styles as they don't make them large enough, but their customer service gets top marks from me! Keep us posted! I'm interested in what you eventually choose. :yes:
 
thethom
Hey Spidey, how are you doing?

I didn't see you on the New Year's Eve list. Are you feeling pretty much recovered or are you still recovering?

Participating in any winter activities?

I took another look at your pics on your thread and still can't believe your knees are so straight! (Your Pics)

I'm doing pretty good now, took awhile, and I only had a right TKR. I am actually just finishing up physical therapy. Stairs have been the most difficult, did the one foot at a time far too long.

One area on my knee we left alone while it healed, we’ve been working at breaking up the scar tissue. Working that area has really helped on my ROM, have a functional 130, but always going for more. Lots of squats have worked wonders on breaking up that scar tissue and strengthening the surrounding muscles.

I'm buying hiking boots for late spring, figure to break them in now. Can you believe the things you are doing now?!

Oh, and I'm parking my car farther out in the parking lot, instead of going around the lot looking for the closest parking space. Though, I’m rather cautious walking on icy parking lots right now. Somehow managed to sprain my left ankle twice, so I’m looking forward to the melt.

If you get the chance, do let me know how you are doing! Hopefully, all continues to be better with each month!
 
Hi 1ELISEA,

Just wanted to stop by and say hello! :)

Glad to see that you are doing so well with ROM and are getting hiking boots, with all that implies. Terrific!

Best,
bassplayer
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom