Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Titianlady that was a great followup question you asked of Orthodoc.
Thanks for asking it!
 
Hi 1ELISEA, Nice to see you but sorry to hear about all your ankle woes. I too have been around BoneSmart much less since being back at work full time.
My main problem now is a lack of stamina. It's hard for me to walk more than 2-3 blocks. I get very exhausted.

Bassplayer, I do think it is much harder having to work and recover. Sitting for lengths at a time takes its toll when I then stand. It was easier having time off when I was recovering to sleep when I wanted, rest it, elevate and walk when I wanted.

Before starting back to work I didn't have the IT Band and Hamstring issues like I have been having. Plus, I could walk in a store and have the stamina and freshness of not having been on it all day; now, it's shopping after a day at work and I am tired, plus getting up at the crack of dawn, driving, sitting, meetings, and reverse the process. Stamina is an issue.

And as difficult as I have it sitting all day, I can't imagine the stamina it takes for occupations like teachers and nurses that we read about on this forum who spend the day on their feet.

But then I enjoy working and can't imagine not. It stimulates me mentally and physically. Even with the additional aches working may cause my recovery, I like the challenge of doing the recovery and working.
 
Oh, my goodness Elisa, I just can't imagine how tired and worn out you must be when you get home. On your days off, take it easy!!
I am so glad I retired the year before my surgery. I could never have done my job even at 12 weeks out!
I still have sleep issues now and again, and stamina is not what it was before.

Bless your heart, please feel better. I wish I could give you some extra energy. I would gladly!!
 
Oh, my goodness Elisa, I just can't imagine how tired and worn out you must be when you get home. On your days off, take it easy!!
I am so glad I retired the year before my surgery. I could never have done my job even at 12 weeks out!
I still have sleep issues now and again, and stamina is not what it was before.

Bless your heart, please feel better. I wish I could give you some extra energy. I would gladly!!


Thanks Titianlady, I will take any extra energy you are willing to spare! :)
Appreciate that you are able to relate and commiserate with me on the sleep issues and stamina. Your kind words mean a lot!

It's been one of those nights where I have been up, not really sleeping except in one hour spurts and am dog tired. :yawn: For some reason, I've been up for bathroom breaks all night. I suppose the good news is that I'm getting lots of midnight exercise getting up to go to the bathroom aaaallllllll night long.
 
Elisea,
Glad that you're still here with us. I feel like it's good to continue posting and "catching up" with others ..
I'm 6-1/2 months post, and have some of the same issues. My left ankle seems to be permanently sprained (many sprains over my lifetime). Positive thoughts and prayers for your knee and leg's adjustment to your being back at work -- and for continued recuperation -- AND much needed rest/sleep at night. Take care.

Organist
It's nice to have someone to commiserate with regarding spraining and re-spraining an ankle. And thanks for saying it's ok to continue to check in no matter how long it has been. Some of us are slow healers, I guess :heehee:. Oops, I'll write more later, got to get going.
 
Elisea--are you going to get the ankle looked at? I know I was sort of scolded by my doc when I self treated and didn't mention anything until my next dr. visit a month or two later...
 
Oh Elisea, do take care. Ice, rest and elevate that ankle. Did you get it looked at to make sure that you do not need to do something else to take care of it? (((((hugs)))))
 
Elisea--are you going to get the ankle looked at? I know I was sort of scolded by my doc when I self treated and didn't mention anything until my next dr. visit a month or two later...
kneeper, thank you. We seem to be fairly similar in approach.
The funny thing is it happened at work and the company wouldn't let me report back after being off until I saw the Dr and was officially cleared to return to work.

That was the first time and sooooo much paperwork. :umm:The second time, I didn't mention it and kept working. It is taking its time getting well but it is better than it was last week.
 
Oh Elisea, do take care. Ice, rest and elevate that ankle. Did you get it looked at to make sure that you do not need to do something else to take care of it? (((((hugs)))))

BJ Mac, you are so sweet, I appreciate the concern and the hugs! Sometimes we single people forget that it's ok to go to the Dr. for something that isn't a major medical emergency.

I stayed off of it, tried not bending it much or wore really soft sided shoes all weekend and it was better this morning. After being on it all day, it looks sort of like......... hmmmmmm.... well, I am staring at it and the ankle is the biggest part of the foot. So guess it's still fairly swollen. I can feel my toes again, though :) so that's a good thing.
 
Yes, I asked for and received pain medication ..... I filled the script and took the pain medication because I needed the immediate relief and NSAID's weren't an option with my stomach. It's hard to shop for food, post surgical aids, get the house ready, when you can't walk.

Post surgery, my pain was controlled though I may have had to take a higher dosage. But it was worth it for the bit of pain relief I got pre-op. I don't drive and take pain medication so I took them only at night, but sleeping through the night helped cut down on the amount of extra strength Tylenol during the day.

I have the same issues with NSAIDs, and they aren't an option any more...I feel like my stomach will never be the same...and then with my bad liver profiles, I have to watch my tylenol intake closely too. I usually just take a pain pill (narcotic) at bed time to help me sleep, as I get this boring pain beneath my knee when resting. You might consider asking your Doctor for Ambien if you want to watch your narcotic intake too, it really helps me sleep through the pain...I'm sure the pain is still there, but it helps me sleep through it!

Scrappy_tink
Thought I’d bring this over to my thread as it was something I had wanted to talk about.

I feel for you with NSAID’s not an option. So sorry about your liver profile. For me, it’s multiple gastric ulcers caused by taking NSAID’s. Now, probably same as you, I cannot even take a small dose without my stomach hurting.

I had thought about Ambien but I don’t plan to be on pain meds forever…. and I take the pain meds when I get home not necessarily just at bedtime. Or on the weekend when I’m not going to be driving.

I have osteoarthritis in other joints too so it’s hard to be limited to pain relief that is not NSAIDs.

I am willing to try alternative medicine, over the counter, or non addictive medication to help with osteoarthritis.

Is there something others can recommend for arthritis pain that is effective and not an NSAID?
 
Scrappy_tink
Thought I’d bring this over to my thread as it was something I had wanted to talk about.

I feel for you with NSAID’s not an option. So sorry about your liver profile. For me, it’s multiple gastric ulcers caused by taking NSAID’s. Now, probably same as you, I cannot even take a small dose without my stomach hurting.

I had thought about Ambien but I don’t plan to be on pain meds forever…. and I take the pain meds when I get home not necessarily just at bedtime. Or on the weekend when I’m not going to be driving.

I have osteoarthritis in other joints too so it’s hard to be limited to pain relief that is not NSAIDs.

I am willing to try alternative medicine, over the counter, or non addictive medication to help with osteoarthritis.

Is there something others can recommend for arthritis pain that is effective and not an NSAID?

Oh gosh, I WISH I could recommend something more!! I've had so many stinking meds I'd have to dig through my medical records to find them all....for me, a lot of the times more than one joint was involved (such as a flare-up with knees, wrists, shoulders, etc) and I'd ask for prednisone....which is a steroid, but you just take it short term and taper down on it. It never affected my stomach the way the NSAIDs did (maybe because so short term). Predisone ALWAYS makes me feel so much better, but it's not for long term, and the Dr. doesn't like prescribing it much because you can have a rebound effect. Now the cortisone shots aren't affective any more on me either. I will sometimes take a Percocet on a weekend morning too, so I can actually sleep in with my spouse. If I don't, I have to get up really early, because my back will hurt me so bad.

Honestly, Ambien, for me, has been a life saver. It's a seditive/hypnotic, and can be addictive, but boy-howdy does it help me get a good night's sleep!! I will "rotate" with the narcotics, in hope that my body won't get "used to" one particular drug.

I've also heard accupuncture mentioned, though haven't tried it myself.

I'm going to keep an eye on your thread to see if someone else comes up with some other alternative ideas!!

I have a drug-tested position, which it's still okay to take narcotics, as long as I have an active prescription, but I still hate the idea of taking them and coming up hot on an urinalysis.
 
My mom has been on a low dose of predisone for like 15 years. I think 2mg and then if she has a real flair up with her arthritis it gets increased for awhile. She is 88 years old and still works part time at a cheese store for something to do, lives alone and does pretty well.
 
But then I enjoy working and can't imagine not. It stimulates me mentally and physically. Even with the additional aches working may cause my recovery, I like the challenge of doing the recovery and working. [/quote]

I totally agree with you! I know that getting out every day and handling complex mental problems at work (I'm in hi-tech) has a therapeutic effect. But I am sooooooo tired at the end of the day! :zzz:
 
Awwwww, thanks Nyland.
I tell ya, it's hard sometimes trying to work, recover, talk, walk and chew gum all at the same time.
Who are those cuties in your new avatar?:)

I was so sorry to read about your frustrations. On the other hand, you seem to be quite the multi-tasker; I could not walk, much less chew gum or talk, without tearing my meniscus. During the post-op check up I knew what was coming when I heard "at some point in the future..."

Recovery just cannot be rushed; it always feels like there are more set-backs than progress. You just have to keep plugging away. 14 months after a LTHR I needed back surgery to relieve constant leg pain. Six months later I felt pretty good. A couple of months later I tore knee cartilage and now I am in recovery mode once again. I am hoping to get a couple of years out of my hip and knee before it starts all over again. I feel like I'm waiting for tires to wear out. It's frustrating, but on the other hand, the alternatives are less than pleasant.

One of these days you'll do something stupid and have no ill effects. Then you'll finally realize how much progress you've made.
 
OMG!
Thank you all for posting and everyone for reading my thread!
I haven't had internet for almost a week and it will be several more days before they fix the cell tower. It's like living in the dark ages and having to use a land line phone. I may get this one post out on my laptop, not sure, but I'll try.

It takes several minutes if it does goes through and the longer the post, the longer the time it takes ..... so...
I'll write more once it's back up!
Take care all and have a very nice week!

Special thanks to:
AllanM; bassplayer; Debbie_joints; Scrappy_tink; thethom
 
I know it must be VERY frustrating to lose internet service for an extended period of time, isn't it! We get so dependent on these things. Hope things get normal for you soon, hon!
 
Woohoo, back with internet again and just in time! Too many weeks without it; how did any of us manage before the age of the internet.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!
Whether you celebrate the day like we do in the US, our focus is what we are thankful for. What are you thankful for?

For me, it's being able to stand without needing to sit down from the pain after 30 seconds. I can carry on conversations without looking for the nearest chair to sit on or wall to lean against. And that is huge!!
:thumb:
 
I am Thankful that my knee finally decided to start progressing in a good direction and get better, and that I am going to be able to ski this winter. I am also thankful as you are to not have to look for the nearest chair to sit in when having a conversation, it is wonderful to be able to stand around and talk to friends. :dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom