Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elisea,

I understand your frußtration, it seems that most of us hold high expectations for our bodies and recovery speed.

Accepting yourself as you are is esential. Give yourself permission to take the time and your body needs. When you hear negative thoughts PUSH BACK with an answer that affirms your special value and worth. You are worth whatever time it takes to be happy and whole. No minor household chore is worth your future happiness.

Chris
 
Good for you Elisea! The way to keep the weight off of the affected leg as your PT will show you is when you move your right crutch forward, bring your left foot with it. When you move your left crutch forward, bring your right foot with it.
 
Elisea,I understand your frußtration, it seems that most of us hold high expectations for our bodies and recovery speed. Accepting yourself as you are is esential. Give yourself permission to take the time and your body needs. When you hear negative thoughts PUSH BACK with an answer that affirms your special value and worth. You are worth whatever time it takes to be happy and whole. No minor household chore is worth your future happiness.Chris

Hi Chris. I don't have negative thoughts but thank you. I am a realist and my whole house needs cleaning, most can wait but the small stuff like laundry and dishes are going to have to be done. Apparently the maid isn't keeping up with it. Oh no, wait... that's me. :heehee: I am taking it carefully, however. Dr's order is to use two crutches, I will use two crutches. But I do reserve whining rights about it.
 
Good for you Elisea! The way to keep the weight off of the affected leg as your PT will show you is when you move your right crutch forward, bring your left foot with it. When you move your left crutch forward, bring your right foot with it.

Weeellllll, I think I am doing it right, but I'll let you know if the physical therapist agrees.
 
Good morning, Elisea!
Just wanted to stop by and say hi before work. I can already relate. I like to keep things tidy and organized. It is so overwhelming when everything piles up. I wonder if you can ask your PT if you could get some help in once a week? I have heard of this, I'm just not sure how it works. Maybe home health could send someone in to help you out with a few things. Have a great day.
 
Elisea, thanks so much for sharing your challenges here. It helps me to prepare myself for what might happen on the other side. Don't worry about scaring the pre-ops. If we're that easily scared I think we aren't really ready. It encourages me as I wait to hear everyone's stories about their recoveries, their setbacks, their challenges. And then when others who have faced the same chime in and relate their own it's that much more helpful. I'm glad you're following the doctor's orders and taking it easy on yourself; soon enough you'll be dashing up and down those basement stairs. But there's time for that; be good to yourself and your knee now though, so you can get there. :thumb:
 
Am sending you an army of cheerleaders to boost your spirits and start your week off on a very cheery note!
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
 
Elisa, what did your PT say about your crutches? How are you doing today? How did the laundry experiment go?
 
How did the laundry experiment go?

I did a load of towels and another of casual wear. I wash a load and then when those are ready for the dryer I take another load downstairs to wash. Worked fine.

And I took the garbage out to the curb as well. I loaded my crutches on top of the garbage tote and rolled it out. The neighbors have been doing it for me, but I didn’t see them around and wanted to get it out to the curb. Now I hope I didn’t accidentally throw a load of clothes in a garbage bag into the garbage tote. Hmmmmmmm….. :what:
 
Elisea...if you have the will, then you will find the way. I remember collecting the garbage from the bathrooms and bedrooms upstairs and throwing the garbage bag down the stairs when I was recovering from my TKR. I could not stand an untidy house. I also cleaned the bathrooms while I was on crutches...a girl has to do what a girl has to do. :)
 
My Physical Therapy session today get a thumbs up. :thumb:

My Physical Therapist thought I was doing well walking and keeping it at no more than 50% weight bearing.

We’ve been working on reducing the swelling through massage and lymphatic draining and it appears to be working. Swelling was down this morning. I did have a series of the nerve zingers last night and this morning, apparently the nerves are regenerating, and also some aching this morning. Ouch!

I asked my PT if staying on crutches for the next two weeks meant I would lose the opportunity to gain ROM. (No lectures, anyone, I'm human and want to know about my ROM.) She said we were making progress on ROM, lately it has been decent so I’m happy, and will continue to do so and won’t miss out by not doing more strenuous activity. :)

All of the ROM is gained though table work, no bike or anything else that would put even the slightest stress on the knee and surrounding area. All very mild; sometimes I sit on the edge of the table with my legs dangling and she massages, gently bends, straightens, massages again and repeats. Some of it is with the usual exercises like heel slides. Then for extension I lay on my stomach, thick cushy towel under my thigh and knee for protection and let the leg stretch gradually and extend, so not fun.

So everyone, there is an alternative to painful PT. You only need to find a practitioner of the kinder gentler PT approach. I highly recommend it.
 
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
I am so elated that you had a good PT session today and are sounding more and more like your old self--confident and upbeat.


Some of us have been trying for a long time to get others to understand that PT for TKR should be exactly as you described it--"kinder gentler"--and they should insist on that kind or just do their own PT.

I also feel that your recovery thread will help others understand what we mean when we say that everyone's journey through recovery is unique and that making comparisons is a waste of time and frequently causes undue stress. Some of the bumps in your road have been real lulus, but you are getting there in spite of them. Take care, Elisea.
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
 
I have two weeks until more testing will show how I'm doing. Trying not to stress over it as the time is the time and it won't come sooner.

In the meantime, I am saying nice things to my knee as instructed by my PT. Fortunately it hasn't started speaking back or I'd be having to give up my pain medications. :loll:
 
Elisea, it is so nice to see your sense of humor shining through! :heehee:
 
I have two weeks until more testing will show how I'm doing. Trying not to stress over it as the time is the time and it won't come sooner. I bought this lovely coffee cup because of the saying on it, "Be still, it takes the time that it takes." I use it daily at work to remind me. Priceless!

In the meantime, I am saying nice things to my knee as instructed by my PT. Fortunately it hasn't started speaking back or I'd be having to give up my pain medications. :loll:
Priceless! :rotfl:
 
Oh WOW - I haven't been on the site for awhile and just got caught up on your thread. Sounds like that knee is giving you a run for your money. I'm so sorry to hear about that. It sounds like you're doing well adjusting to the two crutches again, and the 50% weight bearing. You can do this!! I'm praying for you!
 
Thanks Holly. Well, if the Dr wants me on crutches/walker for a couple more weeks, I'll stick with it. Hopefully, the tests will be better when they are repeated. But I am jealous as I read your thread. Sounds like you are doing everything you haven't done for awhile. Kind of like a kid in a candy shop, you don't know what to do next as there are so many choices!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom