Had my first post-op visit today with Dr. Waddell at 2-1/2 weeks after surgery. Everything is as it should be. I am cleared to ditch the compression socks and to start driving. Yay! I have the 90 degree restriction until further notice or at least until I see him at 6 weeks out. He showed me today's X-ray. To my surprise, I have a slender "cable" around the top portion of my femur. This was applied to prevent fracture when "pounding in" (ouch!) the new implant. He said there was no reason to remove it, and it was continuing to protect against fracture while the press fit implant becomes ingrown with bone tissue. Yikes. Sounds scary, but I'm OK with his reasoning. I asked if it was OK to take a Vitamin C supplement. He said that was fine, and in fact, there are recent studies that show Vitamin C helps to reduce scar tissue formation.
I showed him my old X-ray from last April to see if he could see signs of loosening even back then. My local ortho group declared at the time that the prosthesis looked "well-aligned and well-fixed." Dr. Waddell said that 100% of his colleagues at HSS would have declared it a loose prosthesis. Wow. That makes me doubly grateful that I decided to switch to another surgeon for the revision. No wonder I had noticed off-and-on aches and pains for many, many months (years?). I mentioned the pain I felt on sneezing during the long period of shaky hardware. He was mildly amused at the thought of using that as a diagnostic indicator.
Not sure if I mentioned the fun fact that my son uncovered about HSS. It was founded in the 1860s under the name "Hospital for the Ruptured and Crippled." Today, my son was with me and noticed the official HSS patch on Dr. Waddell's jacket which includes this historic name. At some point their PR department must have convinced them to switch to a blander name that wouldn't put people off. Frankly, I like the old name better. It tells it like it is!