BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION THR] A new year and new hope: revision for loosened THR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by prairienut, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I'm happy to read you're feeling better. How nice that your surgeon called to speak with you!
    Sounds like you're flying the coop tomorrow :happydance:
    Safe travels home, you may want to stop halfway through the trip for a stretch.
    Let us know how you're doing once you're all settled into your own recovery nest.
    Sweet dreams!
    @prairienut

2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had never had anything but minor surgery prior to my BTHR, and always thought of surgery as small instruments, delicate...those folks have hammers and power tools!:scaredycat:
    Glad to hear OS is confident that all is secure so you can be reassured Ames get on the way to Good!
    Hope they let you out early today!
    Easier to get comfy at home!:friends:

• Like Like x 1
  3. prairienut

prairienut senior

I am home! Tramadol and lots of pillows made the 2-hour ride comfortable enough. Hubby surprised me with a reorganized living room where the recliner is and where I will be spending a lot of time. We celebrated my homecoming with a takeout pizza. I have my prescriptions filled and hope I get through this first night without incident. Resting, elevating, and icing. Happy to report no log leg thus far. That is a pleasant surprise. I am allowed full weight bearing but can't bring myself to try that yet. Have to gain some confidence.

• Like Like x 2
  4. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

I'm glad you're safely home! It sounds like you and your hubby have everything organized. That's so nice for you.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Pirate911

Pirate911 new member

I'm glad you're recovery is going well. I've been reading about your progress. Glad your pain is controlled. Here's to the future!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. prairienut

prairienut senior

@Pirate911, good luck tomorrow! Soon you will be on the healing side, too. Wishing you the best possible outcome.

7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wonderful to read you made it home safely!
    What a nice surprise hubs prepared for you. Sounds like you'll be very comfy.
    Don't be afraid to bear weight, you can do it!
    Hope you have a great night's sleep your first night back home. :yawn: :sleep:
    @prairienut

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi: So glad you're home and resting.
    Hope today is a good day.:ice:

9. sansabosa

sansabosa senior

Turkey Turkey
    Nice to hear that you are back home

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. prairienut

prairienut senior

A shout out to @Josephine who nailed it when she said that when components loosen, it is nearly always either the ball or the cup, rarely both at the same time. I went into surgery with the OS saying there was a 20% chance he would have to change out the cup portion, too, based on the x-ray. But he didn't! Once again, Josephine is right!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  11. sansabosa

sansabosa senior

Turkey Turkey
    So you just had the stem changed only?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. prairienut

prairienut senior

Yes. Sansabosa, he removed only the metal liner in the cup and replaced it with a PE liner. He removed the entire femoral implant (which practically fell off in his hands) and replaced it with a larger, longer stem and a ceramic surfaced ball. He said he banged on the cup with a hammer to be sure it didn't move. Yikes! Glad I slept through that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

@prairienut, that's a major part of surgery--the banging ... Your guy just wanted to triply make sure that component wasn't loose (given the original problem) but we all get that banging.

Great news that surgeon has approved weight bearing ... Not having a log leg is great start. I didn't have log leg either.

I assume you are using a walker right now? So with the walker, you can test the weight bearing--while being totally safe ... The walker takes pressure off the operated hip so it's not bearing the full weight and not doing all the balancing--which is tricky for legs with new hips. I assume you're going to the bathroom and so on ... So you are putting weight on the hip--unless you're in a wheelchair ... Full weight bearing does not mean you're ready to run a sprint or walk without walker or cane/stick. It means play things by ear.

I think you're off to a great start. Sounds like surgery went quite well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  14. sansabosa

sansabosa senior

Turkey Turkey
    @prairienut
    Hi there
    How are you? How is your progress?

15. prairienut

prairienut senior

@sansabosa, I am one week out and doing very well, better than I thought I would be. I am starting to scale back the Tramadol as it makes me groggy and slightly queasy, taking 1/2 pill when I do take it and alternating with Tylenol. I am mostly not in pain, but then I don't do much either. Lots of lying around. I am walking around the the house easily with crutches or walker but am not walking outside yet. Doing just very gentle PT with an in-home PT guy this week and next. After that, it will be outpatient.

The revised hip feels solid and secure which is the big change. I am putting at least 50% weight on it. But certainly not 100%. That will come with time. The incision is a nice long one but looks clean. Starting to do a few chores around the house but would like my hubby and son to believe they still need to serve me meals. How long do you think I can maintain that illusion? I take showers standing up. The handheld sprayer is a great help. The shower chair we have is way too low.

My OS prescribed an EMS device (electrical muscle stimulation) to reduce inflammation and promote muscle growth in my quad. I use the little gadget 3 times a day in 20 minute sessions, a rather pleasant tingly feeling. Recommended for 6 months. These HSS guys leave no stone unturned!

Thanks for asking.

• Like Like x 3
  16. sansabosa

sansabosa senior

Turkey Turkey
    So nice to hear that you are doing very well
    I quit tramadol too and as of this week (3rd) started scaling down the other two analgesics, now taking one paracetamol a day and one nsai per day.
    I still feel very tired and groggy though.
    I started in house PT this week, at the 3rd wk, later compared to my previous HR. It is more moderate and softer compared to 6 years ago...she is the same PT working with my OS. I’ll check with her the EMS device, nice to know.
    Keep in touch and be well

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Hippielife

Hippielife member

Teriffic news. I know your relieved and sending lots of healing blessings your way. I had the incisions around the fermeral implant for removal of primary component and a cerclage wire system added. So glad you did not need all that .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. prairienut

prairienut senior

@Hippielife, so you had a loosened femoral stem also. If it was loose, I'm surprised it was so complicated to remove it. You said that required an osteotomy. Was it just slightly loosened but still attached in some places? Is the cerclage wire system still there? How are you doing now that you are almost 2 years out?

I am 10 days out of surgery and have decided to try ditching the pain meds. It seems early to do that but I really don't think I need them. My biggest problem right now us waking up with a headache. It might be because of sleeping on my back. I have always slept on my side for less snoring and easier breathing. I also use the Breathe Right strips. I'm allowed to sleep in my left side as long as I use two firm pillows between my legs to prevent my legs from crossing. Will have to oust our two large dogs from the other side of the bed to allow me to experiment with various sleeping positions. (They tend to pin down the covers underneath them.) They will not be happy!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Hippielife

Hippielife member

Prairienut.. .i see the sleep fairy forgets to visit. It’s tough when sleep and comfort seem to be tricky. Lots of pillows and ice seem to help in some ways. Not being able to move normally, sleeping on our backs and pillow propping is the norm for the first few weeks. Eat well my dr said 1200 calories a day is required for the body needs the energy for just healing. I’m surprised to hear your ready to tapper down pain meds.remember don’t over do and never let pt folks push you. Listen to ur body take it slow is much better than risking set backs.
    My revision was a bit complicated as it was 6 years waiting from primary surgery before revision was finally done. The femeral bone had grown onto the component to secure the press fit component is why the whole component was not loose enough to pull free from the femeral bone. There was also a fracture in the greater tochantor and a couple different tissue issues from wear . Nothing showed up in xrays or mri and most the issues were found during surgery. A very frustrating 6 years until revision. All is much better and life is back to enjoying mobility and no pain. Once the first 6 weeks pass every day healing begins to leap foreword.a lot of progress daily , soon you will be reporting all your recovery efforts were only a memory as healing in the new hip gives back so much in the end.
    My cat is on my bad side today. Although I woke this am with my pinky in a glove splint and very sore swollen pinky.Darn cat did dislocate the small tip joint. It’s a nice shade of purple.
    Really dogs are great therapy too.. when I was in rehab my SO brought my dogs to visit. They cheered up the whole place.
    Have a nice day!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  20. prairienut

prairienut senior

@Hippielife, it sounds as if your LTHR was not quite right from the beginning. I actually had achiness all along with my original RTHR but thought it was normal for a THR. I'm hoping that ache will not return.

Now you must tell me, how can a cat dislocate the tip of a pinky? You must have quite the spunky kitty!

• Friendly Friendly x 1