Just two weeks out of surgery now. What a difference a week makes. I am down to one extra-strength Tylenol once or twice a day. Back to cooking meals in the kitchen where I can park my crutches in a corner and cruise along the counters. I had enough frozen soups and stews to get me through the first week, but I was happy to get back to some gainful housework. Even started thinking again about my project at the local history museum. I am organizing a display of Winslow Homer's pictures (repros of paintings and some original wood engravings) that were inspired by the landscape and people in my small upstate New York village. Homer spent several summers here in the 1870s. We are featuring recent photographs of the points of view of these pictures to provide the "Then and Now" perspective.
I have read how many people do not like the "armpit" crutches for rehab, calling them a nightmare. These are what I left the hospital with and have hardly used the walker at all. I find them easy to use, faster than the walker, and flexible for putting just the desired amount of weight on the operated side. And of course they are needed for stairs. I had to use crutches for the 6 weeks leading up to the revision surgery so my hands, arms, and shoulders were ready for the job. I have bona fide callouses built up on my hands at this point. I don't like canes at all, so think I will go to one crutch, then to nothing. I have a pair of trekking poles to use when walking in our back meadow or the trails in the woods when the time comes.
Monday, Jan. 21, I see my surgeon for the first follow-up. I have my list of questions ready, but mostly I am very happy with the recovery so far. My hubby reports I am much less crabby and disabled than last time! The questions come mostly from intellectual curiosity. I am bringing an x-ray from last April to see if he sees any signs of the upcoming disaster with the femoral implant. The OS who reviewed the x-ray in April thought everything looked fine. But things were not fine as I had off-and-on dull pain and particularly the "start up" pain that is often associated with loose prostheses. I'll report back what he says.
My last in-home PT session was yesterday. Towards the end of the session, all involving very mild moves, he brought out the much-maligned and dreaded resistance band, albeit the weakest green one. He directed me to set it at my own desired resistance by just holding the loop with my hand and doing a few hip abduction moves while seated. I humored him by doing a few very anemic moves and stopped. It didn't hurt at all. I just don't feel I need more than the standing hip abduction moves at the moment. I'll save the band for a few months down the road. I start outpatient rehab the first week in February.
I hope the story of my recovery from a THR revision (at least so far) reassures others that even if things go wrong with an original THR, which is rare, there is hope in getting it fixed and being on the road to mobility and comfort again.