Guest viewing is limited

THR A new world..there better be coffee

Sorry to hear about your cold. I usually make up a big batch of chicken soup at the first sign of getting a cold. I add extra garlic. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Garlic is the best vegetable ever @VSlowLife . I got the cold camping and the best I could do was chicken noodle take out soup. The larder was empty. I better get going and make some homemade which is always far better and freeze it.
I dragged hubby to the store for assistance. 44 items on the grocery list. And I thought of more. I was in the store 90 minutes and made at least three laps of all the aisles. Poor man would have rather been home vacuuming the trailer. I was afraid of sneezing and hacking in the store ; no one needs to be sick but I was hack and sneeze free till I got home.

This hip is wonderful. Pain free. Even throwing my right leg up into the truck.
The flip side. The other good natural hip is becoming the baddy. I know it is not great but geez I want it to shut up for a while.

@Barbaraj I played sloth otherwise: we were going to go to the fair with friends. Though we may have gotten sick from then recycling is not nice. And this may have been a wise decision. The high temp was 46. However I am glad we are not in Montana. We will go tomorrow.

For all recovery does come. Lefty will probably be the problem child. Righty has been the good baby. No one ever gets two perfect hip children.
 
Oh no @Barbaraj . We were going to go with friends who may or may not have given us the cold. At any rate recycling wouldn't be a good thing. We will go tomorrow when it is 65 rather than 46. And also being Senior day admission is free!
I haven't been Ms Super walker really. 7000 steps does not take a long time.
I have knit four hats and two socks since surgery. The socks alas are from different patterns.. so the mate has to be done for both.
I went and bought another hat pattern in Acadia NP. OK I am a knitting addict.

I went to the store today.. out of the 44 items on the list none were cold related. I came home with no cold medicine.
My 6 week checkup is Wednesday and I hope to be cleared to swim and do some yoga and back to Silver Sneakers.
@Layla I do have lots of Tylenol on hand. It seems to help the exploding head feeling.

I also am catching up on some reading.. Margaret Atwood's new book is chilling. The Testaments. It is also very well written and engaging.

My hip is being the wonderful poster child. Now its mate is starting to squirm.
 
@mainegirl1 Sorry to hear your second hip is speaking up, now that the first hip is healing so well. I think I will be in the same spot after my surgery, too.
Glad you had some chicken soup in the “larder.” Yes, I love garlic. So easy to grow because the deer do not eat it.
 
Happy Tuesday MaineGirl!
I hope your cold is getting better and you enjoy your time at the fair today with friends. Hopefully it's sunny and you can get your share of some good old Vitamin D Therapy.

Wishing you all the best at your Six Week post op tomorrow. Hopefully you get the go ahead to begin swimming, yoga and reconnect with your Silver Sneakers group. Many things to look forward to in your full and active life.

Have a terrific Tuesday!
@mainegirl1
 
That's right, @mainegirl1, the good life awaits you! I can't believe that your OS will be anything less than pleased with your recovery so far, and I'm convinced you'll be given the green light to get back to activities you love. That six week visit is such a game changer for many of us. I got permission to go back to the gym as well as start PT again. I haven't looked back since then, and I am guessing you might be the same. I've never knitted before, but admire those who can. My grandmother tried to teach me years ago but I wasn't a good student. I did learn how to crochet at one point but it's been years since I did that--I forgot about that skill during early hip recovery but I have no idea what I'd have actually made--my crocheting wasn't very high quality and my family and friends wouldn't be thrilled to receive a poorly executed hat or anything like that. Have a good time at the fair today, but don't overdo it--sounds like a lot of walking to me.
 
I did it again. Fryeburg Fair is huge and goes on for eight days.
I bought another make your own felt Christmas ornament project.
However I have not done LAST years project that I also got at the fair.
We ate some soup and Korean Tacos
Bought maple sugar that I was sure one of my new scone recipes required. Turns out none of the 12 or do my neighbor gave me do!
She started baking scones after her hip replacement and I have a lot to learn.
Ok now I have to get apples for pie as the maple sugar will go on that. Most likely also on blueberry scones to come this week. You see it is pea soup season. Full fall colors temps in the 50's snow coming fairly close this weekend and foggy and cloudy but no rain.
It was Senior Day at the fair which meant parking and admission were free. So this meant most of the other fairgoers had mobility aids too and I didnt worry about hurrying .
We watched Powder Puff Ox pull and alpaca agility ( or stubbornness) and distance horse pull and the wacko tractor pull
The tractor pull was to me crazy Load a concrete sled with thousands of pounds of concrete and with a tractor pull that over a concrete surface. Distances are in inches and the men love it as all the farm tractors do wheelie

9000 steps today and feet's tired again Hip says nada. My back on the OTHER side is knotting up. Before surgery it was my op side back which is now happy. There were challenges: 12 inch tall seat risers in the pulling arena and no normal stairs. I toddler stepped those!
The grounds are beautiful and the fair organizers have placed many benches and picnic tables around the grounds . We sure did use them and chatted with new friends(one started right in about his surgery..what is it about seniors? He thought I was doing very well and I wished him well for an upcoming major surgery(8-12 hours)

Tomorrow Doctor and Apples at an orchard. Doctor is far enough that I have to do a fun errand too.
And thence to applesauce. Hoping for Northern Spy or Winesap with Empire!
When we visited the alpaca barn it was very restful to see owners sitting on a chair inside the stall knitting or spinning alpaca wool with three or four animals at their side.
@Barbaraj and @Layla it was a good day though my cold is in the everything tasted bad phase .
Faced with those foot tall risers I know that the flexors need to gain strength!
Gad. Third edit. I keep forgetting to recommend my OS Dr George Babikian at Maine Medical Partners in Falmouth ME.
Very skilled and experienced!
 
Last edited:
WHEEE! Released to PT for 6 weeks and the OS doesn't want to see me for a year!
This new format is stunning but I wish it would go to the latest posts first not the first posts
Of course I am just on a phone as I drowned my computer with sigh.....
coffee. The computer needs to go to the doctor
 
This new format is stunning but I wish it would go to the latest posts first not the first posts
I’m having the same problem and I’m on the website page. There must be a way and we just don’t know it. Hopefully someone will give us the directions.

I also can’t look at the page and see which have new posts. There must be a way.
 
Good news about PT @mainegirl1.

And I agree with wanting to go to most recent posts first and see a "new posts" banner.
 
Oops! I take it back--there is a "NEW" banner showing.
 
I found that if the thread title is in bold then there are new posts and if you tap on it you’re shown where the new post(s) start. They need a quick “this is what’s changed” place to go to.
 
My OS said that PT is optional and that ROM flexion will come with time He made me do piriformis stretch several ways so I have that
down
He said with PT things may come faster but they will come too if no PT
And his parting words were PT should never hurt . Sound familiar?
After 12 weeks a little hurt is ok as that is building muscle.
 
My OS said that PT is optional and that ROM flexion will come with time He made me do piriformis stretch several ways so I have that
down
He said with PT things may come faster but they will come too if no PT
And his parting words were PT should never hurt . Sound familiar?
After 12 weeks a little hurt is ok as that is building muscle.
hmm? Where have we heard this before?? :rotfl: I wouldn't even do PT except that I have this funny hitch and hip hike thing going on. I love hearing the doctors say this now.. yay!
Congrats on your wonderful check up and I hope the cold departs quickly. Doesn't seem to slow you down, though!
 
The fair sounded like lots of fun, @mainegirl1 , and I'm sure you can put that maple sugar to use even if the scones don't require it. And fresh picked apples for homemade applesauce--yum. I made a very small batch (husband isn't particularly enamored of the stuff) and I've been having small bowls of it for lunch and dinner.

And congrats on the release to PT. Do you think you'll do PT or just keep on doing what you're doing. Your recovery seems to be going really well, and given the number of daily steps plus the variety of activities you've been engaged in, it might not be necessary or appropriate for you.

Have a happy hump day!
 
@Barbaraj I am rethinking PT as the OS says still do not overdo it to cause pain. He said that without PT you will still get your flexion goals and tutored me in a couple of stretches for psoas and piriformis and after I told him I wanted to swim in the pool a couple times a week and hike and do Silver Sneakers with my neighbor ladies ( classes at a college nearby and we get a wonderful lunch for five bucks)
he cautioned me that I could do PT if I wanted but those other things were enough to gain strength.
And no pedal to the metal till 12 weeks
Thanks to you I am making applesauce. Trying to hold it to 2 2 quart batches. Gravensteins and Empire apples today
There was a radio program on apples today on our local NPR station. I never knew in old times there were thousands of varieties as each town had their own. That is for Maine at least. Wouldn't you know as the program started I was driving into the orchard!
 
We are all adjusting to the transition...namely Me!:unsure:
I found that if the thread title is in bold then there are new posts and if you tap on it you’re shown where the new post(s) start. They need a quick “this is what’s changed” place to go to.
[Bonesmart.org] A new world..there better be coffee

Do you see the Jump to New under Mainegirls thread title...I'm on phone version
 
New format is weird. There are old posts just before the reply box and the newer posts are farther up.
Still cant find anyones op date so I really dont respond much as I dont know where they are in their journey
But as for me the Piriformis stretches make hip sore but are clearly needed. I am starting at less pressure and time and will work up.
Yesterday we did a car ride and photo walk about north of here where colors are full. Involved lots of irregular ground and some scrambling on rocks. My hubby watched me next to me if I had trouble. So that was yesterdays PT . Was in the car 11 hours with frequent stops and swapping drivers.
Logging roads are not high speed roads z
[Bonesmart.org] A new world..there better be coffee
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom