THR A new world..there better be coffee

I actually made mushroom risotto yesterday with oven baked chicken and cauliflower.
I am attempting to quote for the first time. It looks a bit odd at the moment. Maybe it will change when I am done? I will know soon.
@mainegirl1 I know you are doing very well if you are up to making mushroom risotto, because it takes a long time, stirring over the stove. I miss baking and cooking, interesting and complex foods.

Wow, and you no longer need ice anymore. Sounds like you have come a long way in a relatively short time. And now you are going camping! Just wow!
 
@Supersonic I feel like I have moved on to the move it ..or let it seize up phase.. Not so say I am running or anything but getting out and doing something every day. Mornings are still the hardest and I do get tired in the afternoon at which time it is time to sit down.
Part of my issue is I have been sitting way too much since 2016. The RTKR was not quite right till the hip was done and I plain took it too easy. Now the knee is better aligned and aside from achy ITB in the am it is fine.

It is overlooked that some have jobs and others the luxury of no job for sure . I bet your job is your PT!

My hazard view: If something caused a fall the first time or a trip and near fall fix it. If as I found during my medic career that you did not ameliorate known hazards what happens is kind of on you. Balance is very important too.. So many falls from not paying attention to balance. That I have not had happen and that is not a "what if " that enters my head.

It was hot today and we had a neighborhood bocce tournament! Quite fun!
 
It was hot today and we had a neighborhood bocce tournament! Quite fun!

Glad you are feeling so well and have this recovery business well underway.
Onward and upward...:egypdance:
 
Okay, @mainegirl1, I am officially exhausted reading your last few posts. You are soooo active and busy, and determined to stay that way. I try to move every day, but canoeing and hiking are not activities I've ever enjoyed so have no eagerness to return to them. Activities I enjoy? Reading in a comfortable chair without my thighs aching. Seems a small goal but, boy, getting there is involving a lot of work! I wish I were more of an energetic sort but I'm not so I need to accept that (although always a tad bit guilty and jealous in equal parts when I read about your busy, active days) while realizing that I have to do something physical every day or risk freezing up into a shriveled old lady ball. Still, a lot of work--ouf. Maybe it just feels like it as I'm writing this as I'm dealing with a wretched head cold and just hanging on until my next dose of cold medicine. Oh, I'd like some sunshine back to bake out this head cold.
 
I so agree with mainegirl1 and Barbaraj
Movement is essential in amounts that are relevant to the individual.
Pre surgery l joined a gym, in the belief l could rebuild my hip. My coach said to be as fit as l need to do all that l want. If a marathon wasn't on my to do list, ( it wasn't !) then being fit enough to run one was really a waste of my time.
As long as l can do what l want/need to make my life worthwhile and bearable is always enough.
For me thats working comfortable until retirement. Getting out and about without pain ( meds optional)
Of course all this is subject to change at any time .
 
Now I have to think of what movement I want PT for. The general exercises I was given are so easy to work into say cooking. I want more

It sounds like you do well enough on your own. With that said...I'm not opposed to PT. But you're so active I can't imagine what you need help with unless you want to target a certain area.
Hope you have a great Monday!
 
@Layla thank you but I want to be able to raise my right foot as far as my left foot for hiking. There are rock stairs but some are tall and to get out of my boat onto the dock I have to raise a leg 15 inches up.
It' s still early and the back muscles are still protesting when I walk. ( so there is something else to be addressed) as well as mounting a bike.

For now stairs are still a bit of a challenge.. The op leg gets tired quickly of foot over foot.

So yes I do have specific goals. I was trying to look good getting on and off the bocce court yesterday .. Its elevated some 9 inches off the ground with landscape timbers.
 
@Barbaraj : :rofsign: Cause you seem to be a gym rat! I don't even have a membership in a gym! I can't wait for permission to go in pool which is heated indoors year round at a campground very close by.
I am planning for my ODIC evasion in the next few days aka camping.
The colors have just exploded @ahipgma and I am venturing with trekking poles and camera on Acadia National Parks carriage roads. They are stone dust and firm. I am planning mileage( trying to keep it under 2 or 2.5). The huge stones that bound the roads are handy for sitting and resting. I still plan on carrying a Quick E Seat for deployment if necessary.
Now we are in a recreational vehicle a little trailer with fridge dinette bath and bed that is easy in and out. So its hardly roughing it.
And I decided to err on the side of taking ice packs. If I don't need em fine. If I do I would regret if I did not have them.

I am not in training now or ever for a marathon like @Supersonic but I do want to be able to enjoy our 8 day cruise on a sailing yacht in the Windward Islands in January.. Snorkelling walking and kayaking.
 
Just formally resigned from my job today so I guess from now on my job will be PT!
I would like to get in good shape for our trip to Italy in April 2020, lose another 15 lbs and work back up aerobically, get out of breath doing my daily 1/2 mile!I still ice, take pain meds, and struggle a little every day but do my best. Till 2 days before my surgery I was running around with a 6 patient assignment in a hospital with my patients sometimes asking " why are you limping so much" so I am thrilled to take it easy and listen to my body and not have to push recovery into a permanent ODIC!
I am in awe of your quick recovery and stamina @mainegirl1 ! I remember hiking Acadia @26 and being tired!
 
@ahipgma it does seem that we need to rehab our cardiac stamina as well as our leg(s)
O I am not doing hiking trails except maybe Wonderland . Just carriage roads!
its a real chore to try to regain stamina while not infuriating the hip!
 
and this morning I ached everywhere and could not walk, despite doing just about nothing yesterday.
The groin and knee quieted down quick but.
I could not walk. The outside of my foot was killing me. I had to go back to the cane.
This afternoon the foot is better but still achy and the hip and knee are pain free.. I cannot for the life of me figure out this pain. It is not ODIC. It could be too much time in bed. Probably not the best sleep as it was restless but I went to sleep at ten and dragged myself out of bed at 8.
Migrating pain anyone? It seems all the trauma has settled in my foot.. Feels like I broke it. In bed.
 
@mainegirl1 So sorry to hear about your foot! I suspect many of us have migrating pains as our bodies adjust to the new hips and new ways of walking. I've had some foot pain this week, especially when I first stand up after sitting for a while--my initial hobbling has had less to do with my hip and more with my foot! (Just further proof I need new orthotics I think.) Ice your foot? Elevate? Try a different pair of shoes?
 
Oh no!:sad:
Do you think your gait could be off causing plantar fasciitis or other stress?
Have you gotten new shoes because I know my old ones had a terrible wear pattern preop.
I know you can't imagine overactivity being the culprit but there was some major work done and pushing through often causes issues.
Sincere sympathy for your poor foot.
Hope rest helps.
 
Shoes were brand new ten days ago and no issue..No swelling. No redness. Plantar fascitis is in the wrong area. Its on the outside two metatarsals only. And not on the toes. It feels like broken bones but it is not.

I visited a friend yesterday and her yard is a construction zone. Perhaps I strained something It will go away.. Just what a surprise. Especially as daily I navigate uneven ground ( no sidewalks no pavement)
 
Do you think it could be a neuropathy type of pain?
There are instances of hip replacement causing neuropathy not due to mechanical issues from traction...due to inflammation.
I do hope it eases soon.
 
I'm beginning to not be surprised at any pain from the waist down @mainegirl1
From posterior incisions, scar pain, thigh pain of course, knee pain and over the past 2 days some ankle pain but it's gone today. Some times it doesnt seem to be at all related to my amount of activity the day before, then sometimes it does!
I think that for me it's just realignment issues that could affect any part of the leg.
I know for me being 63 and tramping around on my legs, and never having a job where I sat, my parts may be just a wee bit worn out and slower to heal :chinstroke:
I hope you feel better soon. It's not like you're not trying to stay active and it's not your first joint surgery. Just wish the pain would migrate down the road and not to a different spot!
 
@mojo not neuropathy though my feet are very sensitive to grains of sand in my shoes ever since chemo caused havoc with my legs ( bone pain) and feet.. The neuropathy is permanent and three years old.
 
I sure hope whatever it is gets gone quick.
Like a weird glitch in the computer ...dont care what it was...just dont do it again.
Hope you can rest well tonight dear Mainegirl.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom