Guest viewing is limited

TKR A New Day

No lecture required:)
I think walking to the bathroom is a good start! For nausea I had some lemon/ginger chews that worked well.
It will get better as time goes on!
 
Count me in as an official member of ODIC! Sitting now, leg elevated and icing, commode at hand! Thanks for your encouragement. Oh, and yes, medicated!
 
Wearing an incontenence diaper/pad gave me peace of mind for those middle of the night treks to the washroom. Sometimes my slow moving voyage resulted in accidents so having something on helped me concentrate on the journey without being nervous. LOL
 
Glad to hear you are on the mend with your second knee. I also did 2 in a row and remain fascinated by how different they were. People ask me why I think they were so different and I really don't know. Looks like you are on your way to a more mobile future!
 
No lecture needed, you've already lectured yourself. Lesson learned and now on to ice & elevation. You might want to keep some crackers & water by your bed if you take some pain meds. Don't take them on an empty stomach or more trouble will happen.

Your doing well.
 
Okay, friends, I need some support here. This 2nd knee is so painful right on the heels of the first knee replacement! Started PT yesterday. She was fairly gentle but did put a weight on this thigh for a few minutes. Also did some heel slides, nothing much else. Even so, I am hurting today and mostly exhausted. I still have some nausea which I never had on the last go round. I am icing and elevating and medicating. I don’t regret having the surgery so soon, but I’m on a low limb today.
 
Every recovery is different even for the same person. Don’t let anyone put a weight on your thigh. That’s just going to bring on pain. Heel slides are ok but only if done under your power. No straps to pull on and never let a PT push on your leg. Continue what you’re doing with the icing and elevating today. Make sure you’re eating a little something when you are taking pain medications. If the nausea continues you can ask the OS for some medication like zofran to stop the nausea.
 
I agree with everything newlybionic said!
 
She was fairly gentle but did put a weight on this thigh for a few minutes.
Oh please, no weights! Your PT should know better than that. Your knee is an infant and needs to be treated as such. You should stay away from weights until your knee is 3-4 months out from surgery. Your number one job now is to let it heal naturally, not forcing anything.
 
I wish you the best of best with your new knees I had my first April 1 and I am hoping that I can get clearance for my right knee at 6 week post op.
 
Emelbee,
Best wishes for your recovery and a possible 2nd surgery! My 2 surgeries were about 9 weeks apart, and I have to say, it was a challenge. Still trying to get my strength back, but still don’t regret having both done. Just be ready. A 2nd surgery saps an already exhausted body.
 
Last night I finally removed the TED hose and what a relief! I really think they applied a pair much too small and tight in the hospital. My surgeon said wear them for a month but indicates he wouldn’t really object if I quit them early. Last surgery I kept them going for 3 weeks, but I think they fit properly. These latest ones actually acted like a tourniquet! I don’t think the swelling could go anywhere. Now I am doing ankle pumps and walking to the bathroom a few times a day, and the leg feels much better. I had canceled today’s PT but have rescheduled for tomorrow, so we’ll see how that goes. I am really REALLY weary of this, but I still have no regrets having one surgery after the other.
 
My two knees were 3 months apart and yes you are just getting a little strength back and wham you're back down. It is exhausting. But there are some advantages. I couldn't get any sort of normal walk with just one knee done. Now both are fixed. And as this second knee recovers you know you are on your way to a more active upright (in the physical sense) life.

I had nausea from the narcotics so you may check in with your doctor about an antinausea med as others have suggested or adjusting the dose or family of pain medications. Hang in there. Better days ahead!
 
Old first-op visit on this 2nd knee. 2 weeks out and they removed the dressing and staples (all 41 of them!). Doc is pleased and thinks I should do fine. Came home and iced immediately as I was pretty sore after the hour’s drive to the doc, an hour there, and an hour home with a stop for lunch. I know I need to build my stamina. All in all, a good day.
 
Last night I finally removed the TED hose and what a relief! I really think they applied a pair much too small and tight in the hospital. My surgeon said wear them for a month but indicates he wouldn’t really object if I quit them early.

Curious about this. These are compression hose, yes? Is it normal to have to wear them after surgery? Are they above the knee? I used compression hose for a while for my varicose veins, and it‘s quite an ordeal getting in and out of them with two working knees. Wondering how it works in this case...
 
Yes, they were knee high compression stockings, to prevent blood clots. I never removed them after surgery for a week, then tore them off. I believe ankle pumps were just as effective.
 
Hi Everyone!
An update and a weird question!
A little over 3 weeks on the 2nd knee and things are coming along - slowly - more slowly than I would like. With both knees I’ve been going nonstop since January and, frankly, I’m weary of it all :gaah:!
My bend hit 100 degrees yesterday at PT, so I guess I am progressing. I have shed the walker and use the cane, sometimes even leaving that behind. Sleep still evades me, stiffness of both new knees in the morning especially. I get much comfort from reading all the posts here on BoneSmart and I feel supported by you all and especially the wisdom of the staff.
Here’s the question: before my surgeries I almost never got up during the night to pee. Since my surgery, I find my bladder is almost bursting halfway through the night, and then again early in the morning. I don’t know if it’s related to the edema in the legs or what. Truthfully, it’s a pain! When I was able to get out of bed fairly easily, before surgery, I never had to get up! Now, that it’s a major event to get out of the recliner and make my way to the bathroom in the dark, I find I have to be up several times. Anyone else have this experience?
 
I can relate...I think for me it was the intravenous and meds. Also sleeping with legs raised probably pushed everything into my bladder lol. I posted before that I ended up wearing a woman's diaper / pad at night to give me time to get to the washroom without too many accidents. Finally leveled off and back to normal washroom trips after a few weeks. Thank goodness.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom