Guest viewing is limited

THR A new and improved Cindy?<

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only the PTguy would do my dishes and make me dinner I'd be fine!

Actually he's a young foreign guy and this is his first job in the US! What a start -- a bunch of grumpy post-surgery people to deal with!
 
Hi @Cindy99 , Where's your PT from? The PTs, nurses, and trainers in my Rehab centre are often foreigners, too. Usually from Eastern Europe: The Russian Federation, Croatia or Poland. And they are very conservative. A lot of the rules they teach really no longer apply, and they are way too tough. Seem to have this attitude of no pain no gain.

I'm very pleased you can get out into the sun. For the harder sort of gardening work, tools with long handles are available here that save us bending down. Very useful also for People who enjoy gardening but have back problems. You can buy them at these chain gardening markets where they sell everyting for Hobby gardeners and home refurbising enthusiasts. I've got one for digging up the earth and weeding, which I put in my garage - I think I'll find it and use it
 
@Constanze The PT fellow is from the Philippines. His English is quite good, but it's clear that occasionally he stumbles on idiomatic things. he did have a very stiff way about him in the beginning, perhaps because I was ticked off at having to start the whole process over when they closed my case prematurely . he's starting to warm up a bit as am I .

it's funny because his name is Edison Bono. The only way I can remember that is to picture Thomas Edison with Sonny Bono, an extremely unlikely pair . it always takes a few seconds to conjure up that image .

I had a rather rough night last night. I had lots of pain from the waist down. I had reduced my Dilaudid by taking it less frequently over the past couple of days, but also increased physical therapy. We added some new exercises yesterday. I wonder if all of that took a toll. I had to increase the Dilaudid last night by taking it a bit more frequently and even in the middle of the night. I was quite uncomfortable. I'm a little bit better today, but very tired .

i'm still struggling with my appetite. I get hungry, but I just don't feel like eating. I also don't feel like fixing the meal and cleaning up after myself .

A new friend is coming for lunch today, bringing sandwiches. That will be a nice distraction. Carbs. Yum. I bet I'll eat that!

before I went for surgery I put a small table in my guarden and filled up some plastic pots with potting soil. They are high enough that I don't have to bend over very much to deal with them. That's where I put my spinach and lettuce seeds yesterday. now I just have to figure out a watering system . I don't have a watering can and it would be too heavy anyway. Have a long hose but it takes a bit of effort to stretch it out, so I guess the next kind person to set foot here will be stretching out my hose for me!

I still wish I knew what my new normal is going to be. I really have no idea. I don't deal well with ambiguity, and this whole thing is fraught with ambiguity .

I found long handled dustpans on Amazon. I hate spending $20 on a dustpan, but I guess it's unavoidable. cheaper than hiring a maid .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How weird many people myself included are talking about a bad night last night someone said it must have been a hippy moon!! Hope it all improves for you x
 
Just thought I'd show you the view from my bed...
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] A new and improved Cindy?<
    image.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 204
lunch was fine, thank you. it was nice to talk to someone other than myself !

i'm having a lot of trouble with pain today though. I don't know why. My back really hurts.
 
@Cindy99 I'm sorry to hear that you are still so uncomfortable. My visiting nurse told me to make sure to take a pain pill 30 minutes before the physical therapist comes and don't forget to ice after. Maybe you need to take a pill before you do your gardening too. Also, my PT said to put the exercises ahead of housework so that I don't run out of energy -- that sounds good to me! It's amazing, I do those simple chair, bed and standing exercises and every day I have improved mobility and less pain (which is stiffness and twinges now). I do understand how important your gardening is! I havent been able to garden for years. :flwrysmile: I'll be looking forward to that this summer!
:ice:I'm still icing!
 
I agree with you about the pain meds before PT. Unfortunately yesterday the PT guy called me and said I'll be there in half an hour, so I didn't have a lot of time to plan it out. I have a feeling that time management may not be his forte .

I asked my friend to move my hose right to the garden today so all I have to do is turn on the water. as for active gardening I'm only doing lettuce, spinach and tomatoes in pots so I won't be digging anything this summer. I have raised beds but I put them all to bed last fall and I'm just going to leave them there .

I was in pain again this afternoon, and finally iced my hip and put heat on my back. I feel a little bit better now but I'm about to take a pain pill again

i'm really struggling with having sufficient energy to make three meals a day, wash dishes , do the laundry, and do exercises. consequently my dinner consisted of yogurt with canned fruit and a piece of apple cake I had in the freezer . have to wash The dishes before I can do anything more substantial .

and obviously I don't have sufficient energy to correct Siri's punctuation mistakes .
 
Hmmm. So you use Siri for responses? Thats pretty cool. I will have to figure that one out. Havent tried that yet.
I still need pain med before bed. Ive been taking 2 naps a day as i still wake at nite for tylenol every 6 hrs and my nurse reminded me to make sure to drink plenty of water. I know what you mean about the energy drain. I keep refering back to chart on what to expect week 2 & 3 being sleepy & weepy. Im the sleepy one! My son is here a few days & he's making sure i keep up w PT, it's the only way I'll get out of the house...
 
@wcgirl. yes I dictate a lot of emails and responses on this site using Siri. Actually I use the dictation key on the keyboard, so maybe it's not actually Siri now that I think about it . I do blame the punctuation mistakes on Siri though !

I have found that the dictation Key (the little microphone symbol on the keyboard) doesn't play well with some websites. One notable one is Facebook , at least using it with an iPad mini. my workaround is that I dictate into notes ( the little yellow notepad symbol on an iPad ) and then I copy that into whatever website I'm trying to post something to .

I only have Apple products, so I don't know about android things. i'm a fast type or on a regular computer but on a tablet especially when I'm lying on my side in bed it's a lot easier to dictate .
 
Hi @Cindy99 , I hope you pain will subside. It's really nice you do some gardening. Maybe a small watering can can be ordered on Amazon. I'm not taking any painkillers at the Moment but I rest quite a lot. Now that I'm home from Rehab I rest more. I only do light exercises lying down, a bit of leg stretching, Walking on a regular Basis and a Little bit of cycling and Swimming. None of the strenuous exercises I did in rehab. I can get a prescription for physiotherapy from the Hospital where I had the OP and that will arrive on Tuesday. They will send it to me by regular mail. Then I can decide where to go for physio. Take good care of yourself - Best wishes - Constanze
 
@Constanze It sounds like you are really rolling along. Yes, that dinner your first night home sounded great! Swimming also sounds great -- I'm sure it's a good PT thing.

I feel better today and even did exercises. Icing now.
 
well, a recovery setback last night. I woke up in the middle of the night and vomited massively and had bad diarrhea. completely cleaned me out.

now I'm in pain and have no energy to do anything. The visiting nurse is going to come later today to check me out, even though I wasn't signed up for a nurse. I did talk to my PCPs office and they had some suggestions on how to survive this.

this is really wiping me out. And I'm sure having an immune system which is under stress to begin with isn't helping
 
visiting nurse thinks its food poisoning. yippee.
 
Oh no! This is not something you need! What did she suggest you do for it.
 
i'm not able to eat yet but she wants me to try to stay hydrated. She went and bought me cans of chicken rice soup which she thought would be a good kind of first step perhaps tomorrow. The worst part of it was when I didn't take any of my meds, and I have a lot of them, because I didn't want to dump them on an empty stomach. The nurse suggested I try taking them with gingerale and crackers and that worked . I felt a lot better once I got the pain meds in .

however I still feel awful. barely enough energy to do anything .

she thinks it's from some church fundraiser chicken let somebody brought me on Saturday. She said churches are notorious for food poisoning because the food sits around for a while . could be . my PCPs nurse thinks it might be a bug, but either way I just have to ride it out I think .

I hope I feel better tomorrow !

@webbie73
 
Hi @Cindy99 - so sorry to read of your possible food poisoning- that will drain you of all energy for sure. Here are the links to my nutritional articles.. Recognizing that you are a veggie gardener (it takes one to spot one :)) - and considering you are recovering basically on your own, have you considered using a slow cooker. It is a marvelous way of heaping it with different veggies and protein e.g, chicken, beef etc and then set and forget. You need nutrient dense foods at this stage - lots of suggestions in my articles :)

I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged healing phases.

The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom