Guest viewing is limited

THR A new and improved Cindy?<

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASK for fruit-- peaches, pears, get oatmeal, sweet potato. Bran cereal
Stay AWAY from high sugar -- muffins, donuts, rice & white potato like they bring here every morning!
To me wasting food is a sin! But I have to advocate for me. I have turned away toast and sweet muffins every morning. I have to ask for oatmeal or cr of wheat w a very little sweet and ask for fruit whole or cut up.
I did take stool softener for a bit.
** I did NOT have the urge to push so I would try at every bathroom break. Maybe that will help you. It did it for me. <3 So maybe not your favorite foods but you could substitute with other fruits & high fiber veggies, other good grains like oats & bran cereals -- just to get things going naturally!
My 97 roomie has requested cereal & banana every day and never gets it the 1st try!
My advice -- push! HA!
 
i'm also having bad knee pain which started before the thr.

ideas? i'm icing.
 
I've been eating oatmeal, lots of fruit, salad, cottage cheese, stool softners. colase. water.
 
Finally pooped! Now maintenance has to come to fix toilet! I"m sure it's not the first time...
 
That's great @Cindy99 - that's tomorrow over here already. There is something so therapeutic about getting to your own bed/loo/kitchen after being in hospital - and you with your well-stocked freezer will swiftly forget about hospital food! :)
 
Woot woot life starts to return las

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I just asked the pt guy to teach/watch me get on the groud and then up because I've fallen or because I needed to clean something up. He tried to get me to do it on a padded table because it would be more comfortablee but I Insisted on a real scenario. It was a very useful exercise. He had a THR himself so he was able to help me think it all through.

He admitted afterward that he was a bit afraid he'd have to help with with the waist strap he'd put on me, but I managed ok without him.

Made me a bit more confident going home.
 
I bet he was worried @Cindy99! Well done on insisting and bringing real life scenario to the activities of daily living training! How the hell did you get up?
 
Very carefully!

Can't remember exactly right now, would have to recreate. Maybe my first video??
 
I just asked the pt guy to teach/watch me get on the groud and then up because I've fallen or because I needed to clean something up.

That's such a fantastic idea @Cindy99. Not only do you have some tools in your box, should a fall ever actually happen, but it will give you more peace of mind that a fall is something that you know how to deal with and so you can fear it less.

But, still, the chances are good you'll stay firmly on your feet.:flwrysmile:
 
@Cindy99 my oh my what an adventure you have had. Bravo for your perseverance under horrible circumstances. Sounds like you found a few angels amongst the dang devils. I was worried most about the caregivers and prayed for the hands to take care of me. I had a nurse like yours for my second knee replacement. I basically lied to my OS to get out of the hospital. I really thought they would kill me there. Still gives me the shivers. Lucked out for the hip replacement. Just tried to laugh at myself. I was totally aware of what rehab would be like so when they told me walk 35 steps or you are in rehab somehow God gave me the strength to do so. I feel for you as you had no choice. I am just now at a point where I think I might be ok by myself. But my cat...don't know how I would take care of him. I am sending you tons of hugs. You are so strong and determined. I have a bad back as well and I try to isolate what pt things aggravate it. Best wishes to you and continue to post as we learn from each other.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@sunbunny I too have a cat. I bought a self feeder and waterer and put them on the dryer. He just jumps up and eats. It also puts him at a level so I can love on him. For now my daughter comes once or twice a week to clean litter box. Not sure how you can manage that. I also have a rabbit. When I had my first surgery, we put stable boxes under the legs of his cage so I can feed her without bending much. Hope this helps. :meow:
 
Am I the only only with posterior THR who has zero precautions? I don't plan to test the limits right off however.

I'm waiting for my ride home from rehab. It will be interesting to see how they fold me to get me into a car with left hr.
 
@Cindy99 same issue with car. Try to use a pillow under your bum and take it easy. Google videos of hip replacements and cars. pt had me sit on a pillow then lift left leg in keeping it as straight as possible ( put seat back and down..good luck...I do have 90 degree restriction. Three weeks out tomorrow and have a bad case of cabin fever. Go for my first post op today. Asked PT about riding a scooter at Costco. She said I would probably break the 90 degree restriction. Guess be ill continue to be a online shopper. Good luck and let us know how you do. When you get home, get them to put all your stuff on a table where you can reach to get stuff. Hugs
 
getting in and out of a car with TLRH turned out to be a relative piece of cake. Prior to surgery I had looked at youtube videos but could only find ones showing how to get in and out with TRHR.

Ok, maybe this is second of my videos which need to be made.


Home now and bored already....
 
Ah, @Cindy99 , boredom... you're new best friend :rotfl:

Boredom is better than broken... so don't go hurling yourself on the ground just so you can show your new found skill of self-getting-upping off :heehee:

Seriously, glad you're home, and I think you will be too. Don't forget the internet is on all day and all night... and no nasty nurses casting surreptitious glances at you for not adhering to the rules re "bed time". Incidentally, I thought your "real life" scenario was a really good idea, and no doubt very confidence boosting to see that a) it was survivable and b) you could have worked it out for yourself.. and I think you must be the only Posterior with zero restrictions :heehee: though, there has been plenty of research showing very little difference in dislocation rates between groups that follow all precautions and those that follow none.... it's probably only a matter of time before they deem the restrictions, or at least some of them, pointless! A bit like my OS not seeing the value in TED stockings or blood thinner injections... so I didn't have to have either, just an aspirin a day! I LIKED the research he'd read :rotfl:

As you will see, many things that you looked at prior to your surgery that looked "hard" or "how will I do that" are a bit of a non event after you've actually had your THR... there are still ups and downs involved, but nowhere near as many downs as you anticipate

Enjoy being home, and being with your lovely dog when he gets home... if he's not there already :dogsniff:
Donna
 
Well, I had my first shower all by myself this morning. Managed to drop everything of course! Nice to be clean.

Finally got my dog back this morning too. He doesn't seem very much like he wants to be here so I think he had a really good time with his new other family! Maybe he's just confused.

I've been having very bizarre dreams lately, perhaps an effect of the drugs. Anyone else having bizarre dreams?

It is nice to be sitting on my porch in the sunshine drinking coffee, especially because it's going to rain for the next five days.

I'm watching a bluebird flit about my yard. I think I successfully chased the chimpmunks off my porch. Don't know if the mice have simply adopted a strategy of being very quiet so that I won't find them.

Made my first dinner for myself last night. Bought a toaster oven/convection oven and cooked meatloaf which I had put in my freezer and a sweet potato. Once I figured out how to use the controls on the toaster oven it was a breeze.

I keep wanting to write a long narrative about the past week and a half, but I had a lot of issues with the two hospitals I was at so I will spare you the details. Let's just say that I am pretty shocked at how our health care system works. I really hate inefficiency and poor communication!

On the other hand there were a few gems. They made all the difference.

Off to look at my asparagus patch...

Cindy, Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom