THR A new and improved Cindy?<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes @Cindy99 I had really vivid dreams on Pain meds and switched to a less potent one. Glad you are home and going so well.:wowspring::wowspring:
 
Sounds like you are doing very well Cindy. It's always easier to be back in familar places.

You asked about restrictions earlier. After my LTHR I was on restrictions for 6 weeks. Post RTHR my surgeon said if it hurts don't do it. I think more and more surgeons are getting rid of the restrictions. Basically your new hip doesn't want to move in certain ways for awhile. It's self monitoring!
 
What does 'last edited by a moderator' mean?
 
It means your post probably had a spelling or punctuation error or something minor that a staff member corrected for you. That happens quite frequently and we make the corrections to be sure our multi-national members and guests can clearly understand what you have written.
 
Hey look at you go girl, independent in so many aspects yaaaaaay

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Cindy99 2 weeks and we are home! Amazing how i feel being home and being more and more independent. You are incredible and I'm happy you found the gems. <3
 
Got my dog Jordan bavk yesterday. He's not happy and won't eat/drink much. I think he has been asked to make too many adjustments in the past few weeks -- we are now living in the middle of an art studio crowded with DME and he has to trip over stuff just to get to me. I hope he cheers up soon because I cant even drive himto the vet!

I'm worried about the both of us now.
 
Hugs and good thoughts to you. I think pets get confused when their home environment changed. My cat has gone totally psycho. I have to keep water nearby. Hopefully this will sort out when your doggie gets adjusted.
 
Sciatic pain! Anyone else come out of THR to find that they still have lots of low back pain and sciatic pain they were hoping would go away? I have had low back issues for years and severe sciatic issues for almost the past year but I hoped that walking straighter would help.

How to recover from surgery with these conditions? Can only lie on side, can't sit both because of THR wound and low back pain. They took away my Methocarbamol (anti-spasmodic) which used to help low back, need to call to ask why.
 
When to call for help?

Last night the bottom part of my wound was suddenly swollen and a bit warm. I put ice on it and I think it's better. It was a Sunday night, I'm totally alone, and I didn't know what to do other than that. It did raise the question of whether I should call for help and who I should call?

if my wound were infected how what they want to see me? Would I go to the OS office or the ER? I don't have a great way to do either.

Help!
 
@Cindy99 I would think you would need to contact your OS today. Can you use a mirror to see if it is red or leaking anything? Mine would get warm after exercising. Ice will help with swelling. Try to make a list of things you are concerned about so you will be ready when you call. Hope this morning finds you better. Hugs.
 
Hi @Cindy, so happy you're finally home. Your dog will ajust himself again. Animals are probably like children Children are also stressed out by changes of Environment like when Mummy is ill and they are look after grandma temporarily.

Your redness and swelling is probably nothing to worry about. Call a doctor if it gets redder and more swollen. If not, don't worry, but ice and rest helps. Mine got a Little bit more swollen after it got a Little bit less swollen and I iced and rested yesterday. My doc here in rehab says it's nothing to worry about. Keep up the good recovery. Best wishes - Constanze
 
@Cindy99 thinking of you. I'm so glad to have this forum to share concerns. I find my incision seems to be more sensitive at nite & the last couple of nites of just used a small ice pack locally and that really helped. I remember reading a couple of threads about how the stitches disintegrate as time goes on and some have had some irritation. Hope you are comfortable otherwise. I'm still the rotisserie chicken, 30 minutes lie out flat, 60 minutes on a chair, 30 minutes walking around then rotate. I seem to be stiff in the morning when I wake and know that once I'm up and about that will disappear. I'm on a walker for stability as I get breakfast. love the crutches during the day as I practice walking without a limp and then the freedom of one crutch for the same. Have a good day! -- Where is that loverly dog? he should be giving you some good lovin' soon! :puppysmooze:
 
Also, I click on the Mantra page that Jamie sent. Each makes sense as i am at a certain stage in my recovery - even tho i perused them earlier. Esp at night i find myself reading through the library topics and doing searches to get through paticularly late nite hours where everything 'itches' (so to speak). I also find comfort to read threads written by earlier hippies with our same concerns esp w same method - which some have included in their profile.
 
Something shifted two days ago such that I suddenly don't feel the need for even crutches. While I continue to use one crutch just to make sure I don't lose my balance, I am able to walk rather normally. I do feel like my new leg is a bit longer than the other, but perhaps that will settle down.

I had my first outing yesterday, at 14 days out of surgery. For some reason someone decided I needed to see my PCP, so I had a 20 minute car ride each way and a half an hour doctor visit. It didn't seem like much at the time, but last night things hurt that haven't hurt in a while, and I even woke up in the middle the night and took a pain pill.

I guess I still have lots of healing to do and stamina to build.

One useful thing my PCP is thinking she is able to do is to add my low back to the work that the visiting nurse physical therapist is going to do with me over the next four weeks. I have been rather concerned that they would fix my hip but in the process make my back and sciatic pain worse. I was delighted to find that the PCP can intervene and add an order. It didn't occur to me that she would have that power. We'll see if it really takes.

I still can't sit comfortably, so I spend most of my time lying on my side with a pillow between my legs. Can't do much in that position! I'm very sick of watching television...

more good news is that my dog is starting to perk up a bit. While we are very cramped in our space (bed and lots of DME in the middle of an art studio) and I'm unable to take him for walks yet his spirit is a bit better. he's back to eating and drinking, and even playing a little bit.

i'm still finding that one of the big voids in our healthcare system is consideration for one's psycho/social well-being and the role of that in healing. There is no apparent methodology for providing support even in the form of simple social visits.

I did get referred by the local council on aging for a senior companion. The only volunteer they have locally, an elderly woman, called me yesterday to set up an appointment for that next Tuesday. It should be very amusing and I hope will at least distract me for a couple of hours.

i'm very sick of talking about myself, thinking about myself, thinking about medical stuff, decrying the failings of the healthcare system (often to an empty room) and watching the un-Real Housewives.

Arghhhhhhh!
 
Oh @Cindy99 , you can always talk to us. You are doing find. Walking without crutches at this early stage. That's great. But don't rush so much. Sometimes you can do without them, sometimes you might still Need them. I've been told if I'm feeling exhausted I should use them. But we don't always Need them even at this early stage. It's really wonderful how hip replacement has developed and helps so much These days. Take care - Love from Constanze
 
@Constanze Thanks!

The PT guy is adding back exercises so that's good, and now that the sun is out again here I got a a few seeds into pots -- lettuce, spinach, cilantro. I will miss heavy duty gardening this year but at least I'll have something growing.

Being able to be outside helps alot. Will be nice when I can sit on my wound more comfortably.

Yes, I'm trying not to overdo things. as I said to the PT guy this morning, it's not a question of whether I can do it but rather should I do it ? I was actually talking to him about simple things like washing dishes and doing laundry, because while I have figured out how to do them, doing it all feels like a bit much .

my newest dilemma is that the dog is giving off a lot of dog hair so I swept my studio, but now I can't figure out how to get the pile of dog hair and dirt off the floor into the trashcan . I only have a large shop vac and that machine is too big for me to wrangle right now . guess it didn't occur to me to get a long handled dustpan.

Time to rest!
 
long handled dustpan.
Bingo! This tool is a must for anyone with pets. Order on-line. Sounds like you are starting to feel better. Hang in there - it's a short space of time for a lifetime without hip pain.
 
@Cindy99 Sounds like you are really finding your way around! The sunshine sure makes the day better.
Um, and a PT guy? That could be pleasant. wink wink
I rescheduled my PCP apptmt, it is a 2 hour ride and I'm doing well -- so the visiting nurses say. I'd hate to drive 2 hours and have a PA do the same vitals that I get taken every time someone walks through the door. My PT is having me really concentrate on working 2 crutches to get my gait correct -- no limping. She advised that I concentrate now on the exercises and not housework so that I can get to a single crutch and move forward. I'm glad you are getting help with your back. It's so hard and not want to run a swifter around, I will eventually… :yawn:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom