Guest viewing is limited

THR A new and improved Cindy?<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@wcgirl I forgot about socks. I can finally put on my left sock but only with great effort. I'm glad because I'm tired of stretching out, and probably ruining, my socks with the gigantic sock-putter-on-er.
 
Hi Cindy99,
I have felt much better, but I do have intermittent times of sadness and irritability. At least I also have many good days. I saw my surgeon last week; he said that my sad feelings, loss of taste, etc. are "normal."
Yesterday, I had my first strenuous workout at the gym. Though I had taken several two-mile was around my neighborhood, I had not worked out. It felt wonderful!!! (My surgery was April 27).
Thanks to all of you again for your support and your updates. You all a tremendous help. Take care.
 
Hi @Elle6 I've read your previous postings.

My surgeon said that it was not uncommon, and to pay attention to my depression (like I wouldn't!) because there is some kind of correlation between depression and dealing outcome. Not clear if surgery is causative or just associated with poor outcome. There are so many variables and no one in charge of everything (PCPs cannot know everything). I wish we had a better health care model which would/could monitor/address all of this stuff simultaneously.

[Side note: After the folks at the rehab place called in a psychologist to talk to me for an hour (which was a very nice experience -- I got to vent a bit and he validated much of what I was feeling) I asked the doctor what the outcome of his visit would be. He said he'd write a note in my file and no one would read it. My, that gave me such confidence the system.]

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better -- I have no doubt that being sedentary and stuck in place contributes to poor mood.

In my case I've had depression for at least 50 years, so it's very hard to separate out what's surgery-related and what's not. It's telling that I sunk into a deep depression on my 61st birthday, which I spent alone (not by choice). I'm a month out from that and still on the edge although somewhat better. I'm starting with a psychiatric nurse practitioner next week to see what drugs might be able to do -- I've never had luck with them before (have been at this game for over 35 years).

I am very glad that I discovered that I could walk a hilly mile without major consequence (I woke up this morning without major muscle pain) -- that will help me I'm sure. The only sad part of that is that I can no longer take my sweet dog on my walks because of HIS hip problems. Lots of empathy but no solution (surgeon wouldn't do a two-fer).

Thanks for writing. I'm with you.

P.S. While we're on the subject of rehab, I was pretty shocked to find that a full week after my release neither my PCP nor the surgeon's office had received my discharge report from the rehab facility. In fact they had a completely wrong address and fax number for my PCP (a well-known local clinic) which I had to correct. Maybe I just hit a poorly-run place but I'm still shocked. Why would what happened to me in rehab not be important information for my principal care-takers?
 
@Cindy99
I am so sorry your doctors office and rehab place aren't on top of paper work for you ~but more importantly it sounds like they are taking pretty good care of you. It is good they are addressing your feelings by providing professionals for you to see. It sounds like you are speaking up and advocating for yourself and that is very good~ I am proud for you.
Happy Belated Birthday! It is hard when you end up being alone on days that are supposed be celebratory when you feel just the opposite way. I am sorry that happened and I hate that for you.
I wondered ~ and it is not meant to offend~ do you have a church you belong to? I mention this because before I was mobile I had friends from church stop over on Sundays~ a day that can be lonely. Sometimes I knew them and sometimes I didn't so I made a new friend. It is just a thought.
I'm sorry your dog is dealing with hip issues~ we know just how that old doggy feels don't we?!
I hope you are on the mend soon~ there is a lovely thread in the social section on encouragement and faith~ you might like it?
Please take care of yourself~ you are in my thoughts.
 
@Sullivand No offense taken! I'm not a church person, however, so that option is not open to me. I live in a very remote area miles from a tiny town so I don't have many opportunities. I have made a couple of good friends by dint of effort in the past year, but unfortunately one lives 1 ½ hours away and the other travels the road for a living. I've joined many, many things but my sensibilities don't quite match those of people where I live. It's a geography problem, and one I won't solve soon.

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it!
 
@Cindy99
Your location is indeed a challenge to you~
This forum is a lovely place for support isn't it? I am so glad I found it after my surgery.
I was thinking that summer must be a nice time of year for you in Vermont. Here in GA it is very hot and the best time to get out and enjoy is early in the morning. I can't always make it up early enough though~ I love my bed! Hahaha
I have added a bird feeder and bird bath to my back yard and have enjoyed watching a family of cardinals.
I am also an avid reader and a fan of trash tv! Haha! These simple pleasures help me pass the time as I heal.
I will keep you in my thoughts.
 
I have a neighbor's horse to keep me company, as well as chipmunks and the occasional frog. And I am, regretfully, well acquainted with The Real Housewives franchise.
 
Nice to hear from you @Cindy You sound like you're going really well, it's nice that you have climbed (at least a little!) out of the depths :) I can really see you getting a new lease on life along with that new hip, which is really lovely and I'm sure you feel you're ready for THAT!!

I've had a little blip on the Black Dog screen... why? I have no idea, which is of course the nature of the beast! One thing for sure though - I can now go for a walk when it gets gloomy inside my head, and it really does help being able to do that - for a while there the discomfort it caused just outweighed the benefits it provided... I'm sure you can relate. When I come to think of it, it's coming up to the end of our Financial Year (and I'm a bookkeeper) so maybe THAT's it :rotfl: "small mountain" would be a generous description of the unfiled papers in my out tray! even though they're all in seperate folders, it's a VERY small start!

Went and bought a new computer yesterday too... thought I'd chuck in learning a completely new Operating System at the most inopportune time of the year - see if I can REALLY stress myself out:heehee: Actually, I've kept my PC.. time to put all the "proper" work on it after July 1... I'm using the Mac tonight to get used to navigating (also it has a humungous screen and I'm liking it... and the fact that it's NOT slower than a wet week; my hubby reckons there's a decrepit mouse in a rusty wheel running the PC:loll:

Beyond cool that you got to SEE your hip, never mind retrieve it... I didn't even get to see an XRay until my six week check.. I had started to think that it was all an evil plot, that they'd sliced and diced me and not changed anything at all... of course that could be the case and the XRay technician was in on it... then again how far do you go with this? I mean, are you SURE that's YOUR hip and not a trophy from your OS who's really the kind of guy to which you refer, and he's just given you one of his "collection" from a jar??:shocked: Nah, just getting silly now :snork:

It's funny, like WCgirl says.. we want rid of the hip then we feel all "clucky" about it; I railed against needing the surgery - REALLY didn't want it - then needed to hear how very BAD the hip was AFTER surgery - like you said, as if it makes any difference once the original's been removed!! Of course I may not feel quite the same as some of the US BoneSmarties about the "investment" aspect - my surgery cost me not one cent; we have a fabulous Health Care system here, though not everyone agrees of course, I have found it to be "there for me" whenever I have needed it. I could have had the surgery within a few weeks of my first XRay, with the surgeon of my choice, in a Public Hospital - the one closest to me is near new and state of the art... if I had Private Health Insurance I could have gone to the Private Hospital on the same campus - would have had the same surgeon and prosthesis and a lot more bills; as it is I have no idea what "my" hip cost :chinstroke: I'm absolutely certain it's a LOT less than some of the figures I see bandied about on this Forum for those in the US

Enjoy the rest of that summer, of course it's midwinter here... though that means we still get mid 20 Celcius most days. I am the "reformed smoker" Australian ... I was born in England and treasure being Australian because I know what NOT having good weather can be; we have blue sky EVERY day for at least a few hours - it makes getting out there and healing a whole lot more pleasant that's for sure! You're 75% now, I reckon you'll be pretty close to the hundred percent by summer's end

Give your doggy a hug from me, I have such a soft spot for dogs, hopelessly sloppily love 'em.... though we have our son's dog at the moment and he's just had a telling off for barking at our admittedly hateful noisy neighbour. He looked at me like I'd stabbed him as I never raise my voice at him and did tonight. He's over it now - laying on the couch waiting for the plush blanket I tuck him in with to go on (he's getting old, he likes the cover now and is usually still under it when we get up in the morning.

I'm glad you've got such a good relationship with your PT, it seems to me that you have made some new, if not friends, at least contacts via this surgery... which is no bad thing :thumb: Keep healing, and keep happy

Donna:friends:
 
@Cindy99 just catching up on your thread. Have you been experiencing some good changes lately? I hope this finds you well and that you are having some good outcomes going forward. I'm getting so I'm overdoing with my new and improved hip so I have to slow down a bit -- because I really get the dreaded energy drain. Thinking of you and hoping you too are getting around better. I've set up my easel and have a painting in progress. But even that adds to my increased activity. I finally found a good book series to keep me down … but then there's a little area that needs a little paint! [Bonesmart.org] A new and improved Cindy?<
 
Sorry I missed your birthday a belated meggga hug. You have been thru it haven't you. But I do see positive reports from you and you support others so well. Thank you, ts a group thank you as you felt relaxed enough to share your feelings and how you feel. Keep on chatting away as you already know the anonymity helps in being open. Keep smiling lass I am so glad you are getting out and about. Are you like me in that lack of stamina means walks require wee rest stops. I use these times to re look at what's about me as before I reg just rushed past. Take care and good luck. Oh if you fancy or need to sshake of those blues by leaving them here in type form go for it.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@wcgirl

Thanks for asking! Yes, I'm out and about and digging into my art. Unfortunately I got a bad UTI last week and had to take antibiotics (immuno-compromised?), but otherwise I'm doing well. I finished up the out-patient PT and am trying to motivate myself to do exercises at home -- I still have GI issues (I think that damn food poisoning episode kicked up my dormant IBS) so sometimes it's hard to want to exercise. But I'm walking my property pretty consistently though struggling with my weight. I'm practically starving myself some days, which isn't good or helping healing, so I need to keep on top of that. Despite being a foodie, or perhaps because of it, I struggle with what to eat. Lunch is often a dilemma -- yoghurt with fruit just doesn't quite do it for me but I know it's good for me. Tomatoes just came into season here (although they are terribly expensive), so maybe I'll start eating tomatoes for lunch with cheese?

I definitely am missing gardening this summer -- my idea about pot gardening didn't pan out -- I have lettuce and spinach and basil seedlings which refuse to grow (too hot) and only 4 cherry tomatoes from three plants so far. Quite expensive cherry tomatoes at that rate.

I had a rare (like the first time it's happened) opportunity to share an afternoon with a new friend at her rented camp on a beautiful lake -- I actually swam and kayaked! Got in and out of the boat ok but had to think about it first -- my L. leg is still decidedly weaker than the other. Maybe I can get back to canoeing someday! I'm encouraged.

My hip still sits in a cabinet in my art studio -- I've had one curious visitor so far! Maybe it's a party trick? Maybe after a few drinks?

I have to say that I am thrilled with how well I am doing -- the mid-thigh pain has all but disappeared, and I feel ten years younger. That chronic pain really did a number on me as I know it does on others...

I'm glad you are doing well -- keep at the art and pace yourself as you've learned. Are you able to enjoy summer activities?

I am almost at full speed but occasionally hit a wall. Last night I was in my yard til 7:45 with a person who was helping me weld a hydraulic press I've been trying to build for the last eight years -- and he finally got it going, but I was really tired and hungry by the time we got done. Asleep by 9pm!

I will pop in again -- I am compiling a list of lessons learned through this hip adventure and intend to share it. It does seem very dream-like now -- I can't believe I went through all of that and emerged as well as I did. Here's hoping others experience the same thing!
 
@Cindy Wonderful to hear that you are doing well. Looks like we have some similarities. I don't do well with antibiotics either when they kill good & bad! I'm active but hit a wall occasionally. I get to the beach fairly regularly.
Today I was a bit down and wonder why it has taken me so long to get around to having those feelings. Maybe a bit of frustration. I have an appointment w OS in a week and hope to be able to swing a golf club -- full swing.
Tomorrow I'll head to a birthday brunch for my Mom and have overnite plans with good friends. I've procrastinated on my painting, afraid to put the brush to the paper. This afternoon there was a rainbow cast from a small prism right across it … What do you think? Serendipitous?
Is the press art related? Glad you had help! Welding… good for you! Keep on keeping on! :cool:
 
So glad you're "moving forward" so well @Cindy99
That chronic pain really did a number on me as I know it does on others.
It's amazing how much that pain impacted on your life isn't it? I honestly didn't think it was a factor in how I felt, I mean within myself, but since the relentless physical pain has abated I too feel ten years younger and so much more at peace - definitely better :heehee:

Friends of ours invested thousands of dollars to grow their own vegetables, my hubby helped them dig out all the containers last week... they figured that their tomatoes cost about $100 a kilo, and there's only so much you can do with 200 pumpkins at a time (the thing about seasonal produce is they all come in to season at the same time, lol)

Keep well
Donna:flwrysmile:
 
@craftdee I think there is a book, or at least an article, entitled "how to grow a $64 tomato." I think I've done that without even reading the info! And now my raised beds I put in (physically put in) 6 or 7 years ago have rotted so next year I'll have to spend more money to re-jigger things. It's just such fun!

@wcgirl Yes, I have lots of copper I've salvaged over the years I'd like to use in the hydraulic press. There are some applications for sculpture, but I've decided to go back and get good at copper enameling (I've tried my hand at it before) to make jewelry. I need a smaller art form in case I need to move into a smaller place with no real studio, so I'm going to try my hand at it. Unfortunately the small test kiln I've been using for ten years (which was free to me and home-made) is beyond repair so now I need a real, serious kiln. I have some woodworking tools I've never used (inherited) which I'm going to sell in order to buy what I need. In the meantime there is a torch-fired enameling technique I've never tried but which I will today. I've seen beautiful things done without a kiln. I don't have good ventilation in the winter, though, so that may be a consideration for that.

But at least I'm doing something! I do still have sculptures to finish but I have no idea where to show them. I want to have a solo show (have never had one) but I have to find a venue and they book a year or two out. Arghhhh!

I need to do my exercises, though. I was serious about wanting to whip myself into the best shape in thirty years. Now or never!
 
Hi @Cindy99
Just popping in to ask how you are getting on. I haven't forgotten you. How is life with the new hip. I hope the hip is still feeling fine. I understand you are in the field of arts, self-employed. Very interesting. Enjoy it.

You are very brave. I went through a period of depression in fall/winter 2014/15. It was the chronic pain that did it. I mastered all sorts of things - having 4 children, taking part in marathons, but nothing hurt like the bone-on-bone pain, no relaxation techniques worked. So I cried over every little remark people made. My colleague at work made a remark about my limp for example, and I just started crying. It mus be 1000 times harder with both chronic depression and a bad hip. But you are so positive and you also have a good sense of humor. I have also read you did canoeing. That's a great form of sport for your body and your mind. My dad went with us when we were children. It helped him a lot to stay fit and get into better moods when he was stressed out.

I'd enjoy reading from you again. And keep up the good work and take care
Constanze
 
Here I am, back again!

In January I saw my rheumatologist for a follow-up appt. I have bursa pain and low back and minor sciatic pain. She noticed how tight my hamstrings are so she recommended that I start with going back to the PT exercises which I haven't done since I was done with PT in August. After a couple of weeks of doing the exercises suddenly I notice a clicking in my new hip when I raise my leg (as in putting pants on, or a high stepping motion). There is also pain in many places around the joint which might be from the exercises and bursa inflammation and sciatic.

I called the surgeon and he wants to see me tomorrow. I am hoping against hope that I don't need a revision. I'm just surprised that doing the same PT exercises might lead to this. Any one else have this kind of experience.

My hip hurts just sitting here and I haven't done any exercises for two days.

Argh!!!!!
 
If the PT exercises hurt, I would recommend not doing them. Tight hamstrings are somewhat common after THR. Gently stretching your hamstrings might help. Never stretch to the point of pain though.

I'm glad you're going to see your doc to rule out any problems with your implant. It sounds to me like you are dealing with a lot of angry soft tissue. That can take a long time to settle down.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom