Guest viewing is limited

THR A Matching Pair of Hips! RTHR

Excellent news @Deni444
Like yours, our experience with NHS is mixed - both for my appointments and my husband pre and post prostatectomy - the admin is woeful.
He was given tel.no. for physio contact but so far it just rings out. Thankfully, hospital care and GP have both been good for us this time around. Your advice about keeping alert re. NHS communication is very wise.
 
Glad that it's better! I had a nasty allergic reaction to the dressing this time around and things improved as soon as it was taken off. It took a week for my rash to clear up. Hope yours improves more quickly.
 
@Deni444 After the appt fiasco and now allergic reaction i hope you have a quiet few days to concentrate on your recovery.
Keep up the diary.
 
@Trotter Thanks, me too! Although I'm exhausted, it feels so much better. The surgical glue must have reacted from the start making It almost impossible to detect a difference from day one on. I thought my discomfort was the position of the wound. Not so, completely gone now. Drive there an hour and a half of very uncomfortable, drive home lovely. It's night and day!

I'm sitting in my recliner and can't feel it... Dare I hope for a good sleep? Clocked up 2000 steps at the hospital... I'm feeling that and a trip to the ODIC tomorrow may be on the cards but I'll take the hit for the comfort of the wound.

I dispair at my ability to be allergic to things! Did warn them but my thoughts were focused on the dressing not the glue to seal the wound.

Hope you're doing OK... Thanks for checking in on me :)
 
Last edited:
@benne68 Strangely, allergic reaction to the surgical glue didn't present in the same way as the reaction to the dressing. No rash or blisters, just a little redness. It was more of like an inflammatory response, weeping, swelling and pain. I only became aware as she started some aggressive scraping, rather than feeling pain, it felt like a really good scratch of an itch. Once the glue was removed no itch at all, just all of a sudden normal skin (albeit a severely scraped wound) and no particular pain or discomfort in the wound after.
 
Last edited:
The protocol they followed was to aggressively scrape the incision to ensure the removal of any glue on the skin
I broke out in a cold sweat just reading that. I think you must be a very brave person - just the thought of it makes me feel panicked. I would have to go and lie down, if I weren’t already in bed.

Glad it brought you some instant relief though. I hope everything goes super-smoothly from here.
 
@Tuppence71 I can assure you there was sweat on my brow and I was braced for a horrible experience. They had already apologised that it wasn't going to be nice. All I can say is, that satisfying sensation of scratching an itch is what I felt. A tiny sharp pain penetrated when they got to the weeping area. Maybe the scratching relief was so intense it got in over the pain... Just a wild theory but like a TENS machine.

The really weird thing it didn't itch before they began but the moment they touched it, it itched. Then stopped as the went along... Very strange experience. When I said 'it didn't open the wound'... A more severe allergic reaction can open the wound. The scraping on a well healed wound doesn't apparently??
 
Last edited:
I think it is that word, “scraping” *shudders*. Could they not maybe have ‘caressed’ it off?

I hope they have made a note in big red capital letters on your medical history that you are allergic to surgical glue. So it would ever happen again. At least with a scrape and the steroids you should now be back on track.

Goes to show how well healed the wound is in just two weeks, doesn’t it? Which is remarkable, really - the capacity of the human body to heal itself.
 
@Deni444 Nerves do spit off odd sensations at random times as they heal after a major surgery. Little and big itches, flicks of little and sometimes big pain that only last for a brief time. All part of the healing as far as I can tell. I am so glad they were able to treat your allergic reaction quickly!
 
@djklaugh I'm cheering on my well behaved nerves... Whatever they were up to the timing was most welcome! Thanks for that information... All quite fascinating. Still feeling great. I can't believe the difference. Last night I convinced myself I had an infection. Temp went up a little, got the shakes a bit, heart rate went up. Had to call the hospital but as my temp was below 80c and begining to go down they thought it OK to simply attend as planned today... Been quite an eventful 48 hrs.

I'm ready for a bit of routine recovery if there is such a thing?
 
@Tuppence71 I guess the question of why oh why they didn't consider. I am flagged and I mentioned numerous times, I'm also flagged for potential autoimmune. The ball was dropped in my opinion but... I seem to have an outcome in terms of my future mobility potential that far exceeds my expectations. On balance... I'm still overexcited about my surgery outcome. I can't believe I walked 2000 steps today! That's massive for me, no knee pain whatsoever! Wasn't even that difficult. Very mixed emotions on it all .. maybe a little overwhelmed because I'm experiencing extremes at both ends of the scale.
 
These weeks in the immediate aftermath of a big traumatic surgery can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster even when things are going smoothly. I’m not surprised you’re at sixes and sevens.

You are probably going to be exhausted tomorrow - it’s been a demanding day, physically and emotionally. I hope you have plenty of ice cream in the freezer.

And huge congratulations on those 2000 steps! A harbinger of things to come…. But for now, take it easy.
 
Thanks @Tuppence71 Wise words! I'm resting and napping my way through the day. I plan to do the same tomorrow. Amazing how I can now nap without that butt pain.
 
Oh @Deni444 I've only just caught up with your alarums and excursions. Hope you’re much recovered.
Sadly patient centred care often isn’t. I explained about the pain med sensitivities several times at pre op, pre physio and admission…. To no avail. Had a horrible time and stopped taking them.
Going to try to make sure GP puts on my records.

I have also laughed over your bed side table descriptions … mine is still a mess.

Keep on keeping on, we will all be back on our pins soon, and going stronger than ever.
 
@Deni444 … what a horrible experience for you, but it sounds like the dreaded “scraping” of the glue off your skin worked. Amazing. Our bodies are quite complex sometimes. Something (like glues) might not affect us much at all one time and then rage another time. But you know now you must be very vigilant in making sure that you stay away from these adhesives.

I suspect the reactions can be somewhat cumulative - meaning after an initial reaction, each one after that can be a little bit worse. I found that out with my body and poison ivy. For years my encounters with it were fairly mild with only a slight reaction that disappeared quickly with some calamine lotion. Then in middle age, it exploded and I’ve spent the rest of my life trying to avoid any contact with it at all.

So do be sure your medical records reflect this potential problem in big red letters. You are fortunate that your medical team recognized it was not an infection, even though it was presenting that way.

Hope you’re continuing to feel better.
 
Thanks @Jamie

I'm now being monitored very carefully. I continue to feel much better, I'm hopeful they caught it early and I can draw a line and move on in my recovery. My symptoms were escalating over 24 hrs but I had the awareness to contact the hospital. As my thread kind of describes. Upon discharge I was a lot better than I was at the end of week 2

I'll admit, feeling I was panicking when I made the call to the hospital but it was clearly written to do so if experiencing sudden symptoms so diligently made the call.

I genuinely it seems had an underlying cause for increased temperature, increased heart rate, hot and cold skin fluctuations. Just glad to have acted quickly before further escalation of symptoms.

I repeat. Rare reaction but I'm a candidate given my personal medical history.
 
I think it is that word, “scraping” *shudders*. Could they not maybe have ‘caressed’ it off?
@Tuppence71 Didn't respond to this question earlier. My limited understanding is that 'gentle and caressing' and use of solution is 'an approach' and with a little time, they can remove the glue.

They honestly didn't opt for the more torturous 'sounding' option without a valid reason. They were very compassionate in explaining.

Their aim was to do all they could to guarantee that there was no longer any, even a small amount of glue/skin contact. They explained that the method used offered more certainty that they didn't miss any glue. The primary aim was to eliminate the trigger causing symptoms. They said, even a little left would potentially keep the allergic reaction going.

I imagine like many examples, different surgeons/hospitals follow varying protocols. I was impressed. It wasn't like going to see the GP. A dedicated wound clinic room and significant preparation to ensure that the person doing the procedure was sterile before touching me. This hospital and in particular, for 'Surgical' is rated 'Exceptional', part of a trust ranking somewhere around 9th out of about 134 across England. It has a very good reputation for state of the art protocols aimed at reducing the risk of infection. It's why I chose it.

I felt in safe hands and it really does sound a lot worse than it was. Not sugar coating it though... Scraping was what they described and it's what they did. Personally, I'd rather be scraped than take the risk of having glue left.

All just temporary... Onwards and upwards!
 
Last edited:
Love your attitude, so glad they looked after you well.
Hope you have a restful day today.
One day we will wake up no longer thinking about our joints before anything else.
 
Oh @Deni444 I've only just caught up with all this. How truly awful! Honestly although you weren’t allergic to the surgical glue last time you are a very allergy prone patient so they really should have been aware. Could they have just stitched and not glued? One really has got to be on the ball. Scraping….:bignono:
 
@Legseleven Thank you, hope you are well!:wave:

I'm shattered, still have insomnia, a side effect of the antibiotics that they stressed I must finish.

On a very positive note, despite feeling sleepy. For the first time since discharge, I haven't needed any painkillers yet this morning. I'm about to take my anti-inflammatory to keep it my system but not for current pain. The wound is little tender from the procedure but not painful to sit at all.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom