Guest viewing is limited

THR A Matching Pair of Hips! RTHR

Sounds like you are progressing really well @Deni444. I can understand your fear about the wound after last time. My incision was very long. My physio asked to see my operation notes and they are now on my NHS account so I was interested to read them. Hope today goes well.
 
Thanks @Pumpkin Here's hoping your day shows continued improvement... You're definitely overdue some up time!

Interesting @IndigoKnee Thanks for the tip about the notes! I'll ask for mine to be uploaded! Did you find out anything you didn't already know?

I'm hoping it comes off today rather than needing replacing @myglasshalffull but hey ho... It will be what it will be. Not a day too soon though, I've just noticed the dressing starting to lift after getting it wet washing my hair this morning. On a positive note, it's very clean. Just one little stain showing.

On s super positive note, my initial sleep session in bed lasted 4.5 hours, topped off with a couple more in the chair. Although, I couldn't resist a nighttime Jacobs and cheese (actually a very greedy 4).... I didn't need any Oramorph :yahoo:
 
Unfortunately, I didn't get the all clear on my wound. There was the anticipated skin reaction to the dressing ( I'm sensitive to dressings) but nothing like the bleeding blisters with hip #1. The wound looked mostly OK but a couple of places were red, a little tender with a little weeping yellow. I was seen by my local district nurse who telephoned the surgical team. She took photos for them and swabbed the wound to test for infection. I'm now waiting to find out what they think based on the photos. They may prescribe antibiotics, may do nothing or may want me to go to 'out patients' at the hospital to be assessed.

It's all familiar, based on my experience last time. On that occasion it was worse and they did nothing. We'll see! In the meantime the dressing is off and the nurse actually thought it had begun to look better in the short time I was waiting for her to get off the phone.

A lot less stressful than looking in the mirror and seeing a dressing suddenly look like something from a horror movie... All the same. Righty obviously is not following protocol... Clearly out of order copying Lefty :heehee:
 
The NHS wheels are turning very efficiently this afternoon. I've been prescribed antibiotics as a precaution and have an appointment with my surgeon to take a look on Tuesday when they'll have the results from the swab. Fortunately at the slightly nearer hospital where he has a clinic that day. Just over an hour in the car rather than two hours. I'm not surprised he wants to see me because he was a little put out that I wasn't flagged to his attention when hip #1 had wound issues. He's an infection specialist, he's keen to react swiftly if there is any doubt at all. I'll be very reassured that he takes a look. All very much just a precaution. I'm sure it is probably perfectly OK.
 
Sounds like you wound was better this time around. Glad to hear they are taking good care of you. Hoping your wound will continue to heal between now and Tuesday and you will get the all clear. :friends:
 
Sorry to hear you are having wound problems again. Hopefully nothing serious.
 
I'm so sorry you are going through this again. Hope it turns out to be nothing, but I'm glad you've been prescribed an antibiotic as a precaution, @Deni444.

Even though you've been down this road before, I'm sure it is anxiety-provoking. Sending hugs your way.
:friends:
 
Hi @Deni444
Sorry to hear about your wound problems but pleased to know the NHS is looking after you well. I had a few open red/yellow spots on the wound for Hip1 but they were just closed with steristrips and eventually healed ok. Take care and keep us posted.
 
Thank you for your kind thoughts and well-wishes everyone :loveshwr:

Considering, I've been a bit anxious that this may happen again, now that it has I'm surprised how calmly I took it.

@benne68 Thank you. Of course there is a little anxiety but not as much as last time. They didn't give me antibiotics last time and I agree with you, I'm more reassured to be covered as a precaution. They said if my test results are clear my surgeon will probably tell me to stop taking them. The nurse felt that my skin reaction was probably the culprit and had unsettled the wound a little. I have to say, the whole area is much more comfortable now the dressing is off. I'm now wondering if all this time my discomfort when sitting was more to do with a reaction to the dressing than the position of the wound.
 
That certainly could have been a contributor to your discomfort, @Deni444. I’m glad things are feeling better with your incision area. This is a good sign. I like that your doctors got you on antibiotics early in the game just in case too. Good for them!
 
Oh I’m sorry that hat should have been an upbeat landmark day turned out to be a bit disappointing and worrying. Hopefully it’s just your skin reacting to being encased in a dressing for a fortnight and it’s already feeling better after a night in the open. And if it is an infection, the antibiotics should already have got to work.

But when you are already soldiering on through so much, it must feel like One More Thing to deal with.

I'm now wondering if all this time my discomfort when sitting was more to do with a reaction to the dressing than the position of the wound.

I’m finding my dressing really uncomfortable, and would love to rip the blasted thing off. And I don’t have particularly sensitive skin or a history of reactions / infections. So it must have been extra uncomfortable for you.

I really hope you’re feeling better today.
 
Thank you Tuppence for taking a moment to comfort me and offer wise words. I really appreciate it, especially as I know you too are dealing with a lot!

Thanks Jamie, it certainly does continue to feel more comfortable to sit. Still itching though. Even the swelling has calmed down but that could be a coincidence, unless I was having quite a reaction this time. Possible because it's been so recent that I experienced a similar reaction. I have a history of my body going a bit over the top with an inflammatory response. I once had a skin reaction that had no known culprit, had a body wide infuriating rash that lasted over a year. I learnt never to scratch over that period... I'm not tempted to touch it no matter how much it tempts me. I'm hopeful it's a reaction not an infection but either way I'm glad to have the antibiotics.
 
@Deni444 Only just caught up with your thread from yesterday. Oh dear that was a bit disappointing but good that they are being active with antibiotics as a precaution and that your surgeon is having a look next week to check all is well.
From what you said your body does go into an inflammatory response fairly easily so hopefully it has just gone a bit over the top and all will be well soon.

You commented on my reading my surgery notes and asked if I found out anything I didn’t already know. Not much but I am always interested in anything medical so did find it interesting to see things like the type of preparation, amount of blood loss, notes about how they proceeded etc. Also they noted that the surgical team wore 'Stryker space suit system’. Which made me smile. :heehee:

I hope all improves really quickly. You will have to get some if those mittens that we put on babies to stop you scratching.
 
Thank you @IndigoKnee Giggling here at the Space Suit... Very Space1999 :scary:

I'm generally feeling pretty good. More comfortable and pain has definitely dialed down. I tentatively think I've taken my last dose of morphine. Still a bit of swelling but that seems to have reduced significantly too. I ordered a digital ear thermometer, just as a precaution. I'm going to keep an eye on my temperature (I'm advised to do that). Being a certain age, I get those awful hot flushes and it can feel like a sudden temperature. Had one at the surgery yesterday but a quick check of my temperature confirmed the dreaded menopause symptom. My temperature was perfect.
 
Itchiness is not usually a sign associated with infection, so it’s much more likely that this is just a skin reaction. You’ll know in a week or so if things continue to improve. There is soooo much “wait an see” with recovery! Our bodies are busy healing and sending out all manner of signals that we have to try and interpret. Not exactly a fun parlor game.
 
Glad to hear that you feel more comfortable and the pain has died down. :)
 
Sounds like your issue with wound has been given the full attention it deserves. Hope it all works out well & happy you have the antibiotics in meantime before your appointment with doctor.
 
Hopefully it’s not an infection but good you have the antibiotics just in case. And I hope the pain is still under control even without the oral morph
 
:censored:You learn something new daily recovering from a hip replacement! In my wildest imagination, I wouldn't have thought it possible... Hard Stool Diarrhea! (I've censored my British Toilet humour and deleted it... Who would say that?) :heehee:

My lucky dip selection from the list of Antibiotic side effects. Diarrhea and Insomnia on top of the usual constipation we experience.

Welcome week 3, can't wait for week 4 :rofsign:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom