Guest viewing is limited

THR A Matching Pair of Hips! RTHR

Ash.. My Super Star Recovery Buddy!!! :yay::friends: I'm ecstatic to hear from you! I've missed you and have often wondered how you were doing since you flew away to enjoy that new bionic bikini hip of yours. Not in the office, a bit of a joke because I spend so much time here on the forum. Pet's are as helpful and considerate as during hip recovery #1 Daughter gifted me a new fluffy recovery blanket and the cat has claimed it! Pickle the dog was very carefully managed upon my return home to avoid the pile on. She was put outside for a couple of hours and hasn't forgiven or forgotten yet :heehee:. Hubby is a recovery expert this time and turned into a gourmet chef during recovery #1 and so I'm being very well looked after.

Really looking forward to reading your update... I'll get the popcorn ready! So very glad to hear from you thanks for popping by :loveshwr:
@Morgan Le Fay

Footnote... Got a SheWee and puppy pads for the floor, just in case. Thankfully, fully potty trained for hip #2 :rofsign:
 
Last edited:
sounds familiar. Week 2 was disappointing both times.
Every day is a school day... I've literally just fathomed how to correctly do a quote insert after all this time!

That's very reassuring to hear you say that about week two. It's a bit disconcerting to suffer a sudden nose dive. Underneath the bouts of swelling, I do sense some solid healing going on as walking feels more normal. Thanks for the encouragement @scorow

@emersonf Thank you for your kind words! I spent the whole day in bed after another bad night and managed some good naps and feeling like I've topped up the batteries. I got a solid two hours before the bathroom bell sounded. Hopefully, I'll get a few more hours but if I get another bad night, I'm going to try bed rest again tomorrow. It's amazing how much difference sleep makes. It's not even pain keeping me awake... I always seem to suffer post surgery insomnia. Can't complain, under normal circumstances, I sleep through a hurricane.
 
Last edited:
Oh Deni, just read the last couple of days of posts. Flying away after a couple of weeks did seem a bit outside expectation, especially after the first hip. So glad you are still here and posting, but not so glad the euphoria was followed with a bit of a crash. There will come a time to let go. I let go after hip #1 when I reached the point I needed to stop thinking about myself as someone who has a hip replacement. I haven’t got there yet with hip #2, but this one is for me the slightly stickier one. You will be able to fly away properly, with time. Meanwhile, I enjoy your company.
 
Thank you! @Coddfish :)

What can I say... I'm not great on medication it does a bit of a number on me. Hip #1 I was on Codeine and it was easier to find a balance with pain maintenance but I would cry. I remember having my dressing changed, tears streaming down my face and trying to explain I'm not really upset it's the medication. I was relieved it wasn't prescribed this time but instead I have Oramorph and that causes the insomnia. I'm taking the lowest dose as little as possible but I'm just not managing the stretch between off the shelf Paracetamol well enough yet to cut it out. So, I'm flipping between feeling fantastic if I get some sleep to ruddy awful when I don't get it. Hip #1 won't tolerate too much sitting and so I need enough medication to enable me a reasonable amount of up on my feet time.

All that moaning but... This is only temporary and I'm so pleased with my hip! I noticed today my legs feels pretty much the same length. Wasn't expecting that. My surgeon did some jiggery-pokery over both surgeries with the intention of evening me out because my right was longer. I know he felt a bit disappointed that he hadn't done better but it feels pretty good to me. I'm also noticing my pelvis just feels more balanced. I'll take crazy medicated lady..
For a leg length equalisation, let alone what else may unfold!
 
@Deni444 I'm so glad you're back and realized the culprit fueling your feelings and actions. Is it any wonder the docs warn us not to be signing important papers at this time? Or that we're also warned that driving sleep/rest deprived can be as bad as driving under the influence? Yikes!

My worst days of recovery have always been associated with swelling. It hasn't mattered which joint, either. Elevating and ice helped but I learned to expect it and that I just needed to be prepared for it. Pain can manifest itself in lots of different ways, as well. My patient and now, well-versed hubby knows that if I'm especially cranky and short with people (usually meaning him, specifically, lol) during my recovery, he needs to gently suggest that maybe it's time for some pain relief. He hasn't been wrong yet and I'm always following the episode with effuse apologies and gratitude.

Knowing it is all temporary helps for the most part. Being acknowledged and supported for being human is priceless. You are on both counts. Hang in there, my friend. :friends:
 
Thanks @Hip4life :) Hubby was well prepared after hip#1. We hit the ground running as a well oiled team this time, a bonus of getting a second go! It's interesting you talk about previous surgery because I had bilateral bunion surgery a few years ago and feet are notorious for swelling. There is a lot about that experience that has helped me with this hip swelling. You kind of get a feel for different types of swelling and associated causes and so although not enjoying it, definitely not concerned. I managed to tot up about 6 hours sleep spread out over yesterday and swelling has been a bit better today.
 
Hoping you can get off the opioids soon. Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, I can’t tolerate any of them.
 
Deeennnniiiii

I just caught up on your posts on hip # 2 and I am SO happy for you !! It sounds like you are doing really well and have had some unexpected UPS already. I really missed you and your posts and your positivity and humour.
Am happy that you finally have had both done and now you can focus on onwards and upwards.
:loveshwr:
 
Deni,
I wasn’t on the forum at all yesterday. Early start to my day with no time for checking in but happy to see you are back. You are very inspirational as well as keeping yourself educated on different aspects of recovery & other treatments.
Those early recovery days can be challenging. Pain, fear, sadness it’s a mind battle.
I’ve always said this is as much an emotional recovery as well as physical.
With both my ankle surgery & hip replacement I went into very deep depression. I’m very independent and having that independence taken away was such a challenge for me. Thank goodness I have such a supportive partner.
Many times we just need 24 hours to regroup mentally. We can over use our minds just as much as over use our new hip!
In any case you are a ray of sunshine for me this morning!
 
@Morgan Le Fay I'm trying not to get too over excited... but, early indications are that I may have exceeded the gloomy expectations of my surgical team when prior to surgery they were not optimistic about restoring my mobility or flexibility. When they got in there, the hip was worse than they thought and the soft tissue a lot better. My upper leg is already aligned nicely, leaving a valgus knee still off at the previous angle... I guess that is logical as the soft tissue would have accommodated the odd hip posture. I'm optimistic physio will help. So already, I anticipate being able to drive again. About a year ago, I deteriorated to the point I could no longer reach the pedal with my right foot. That's a huge tick in the recovery box. Alongside now having fairly equal leg lengths and hopefully a good knee (surgeon is really optimistic about that)... I could be looking at a much fuller recovery, after all.

Although I'm moaning about swelling and medication side effects currently... I'm really over the moon!
 
Last edited:
So sorry, I worried you Sandy :wave:
You are spot on! This recovery is as much emotional as it is physical. I'm getting a bit more sleep and the swelling seems to be calming down and so onwards, ever onwards. There is a beautiful spot a mile up the road from my house with a lovely view across my estuary towards the Scottish coast and hills beyond. Keep watching for a celebration picture marking that milestone!
 
@Deni444 I am so pleased your recovery is going well. Please remember not to get carried away over exert yourself.
How is the medication regime?
Have you managed to find the right balance yet?
Keep going as you are and remember to keep everyone updated with your progress
 
Thank you @Trotter :friends:
I'm not counting my chickens before they're hatched but I've gone 8 hours without needing Oramorph. Currently coping on Paracetamol and Naproxen. I've been on anti-inflammatory meds for a few years now and so, although they help with inflammation, I'm not sure they help much with additional pain. My body must be use to them. When I get off the Oramorph I know my sleep will go back to normal and so just got to be patient.

Hope you are doing OK!
 
So sorry, I worried you Sandy :wave:
You are spot on! This recovery is as much emotional as it is physical. I'm getting a bit more sleep and the swelling seems to be calming down and so onwards, ever onwards. There is a beautiful spot a mile up the road from my house with a lovely view across my estuary towards the Scottish coast and hills beyond. Keep watching for a celebration picture marking that milestone!
I’ll be looking forward to that photo! Stay well
 
Deni, you have truly made my day with your news. I am so so very thrilled for you. A person like you deserves all the best and I see a very bright future for you. Hope you are having a good day/ evening. It's 9.23 AM here in Melbourne, Australia and I'm off to Aldi soon with the husband to do some shopping.

:spin:
 
@Morgan Le Fay It's nearly 2am and I've just got up out of bed to shift to the recliner for attempt at sleep stage number two... The joys of early recovery :alarm: I'm not complaining, this has the potential to be one of my better nights sleep! Happy shopping!

Edit: Got 3 hours straight when I got in the recliner. May just squeeze another nap in before hubby wakes to bring me a milky coffee :sleep:
 
Last edited:
My issue getting a good nights sleep is bathroom trips. Then have difficulty falling back to sleep & sometimes just go lay on the couch!
Glad you managed a few more hours of rest.
 
Exactly the same @myglasshalffull The need for the bathroom wakes me numerous times a night. I think that just suddenly stopped with #1... Hopefully not long now as it's 2 wks tomorrow fir #2
 
Two weeks post op today and I am off to hopefully get the dressing removed this afternoon, assuming it's well healed. No staples, I had dissolvable internal stitches with the incision glued.

First time out in the car since discharged home but thankfully I'm only going a few miles to my local GP surgery. I admit to a huge sense of relief! Hip #1 had some ugly oozing and although testing confirmed no infection, it was a stressful few days awaiting results. I confess I've been a little paranoid that I'd have a repeat performance with #2 and have checked my dressing multiple times a day. It will be good to move on from that and I'm also curious to see the incision because the dressing is really long.

I will begin my walking rehabilitation journey today having rested up so far and limited walking to just pottered around the house. Small goal... Garden gate and back.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom